Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Namaste all!

Here in the west, we should be 100% absolutely sure of what one eats...no random snacks are possible. Even when I quit eating outside, they followed me home.

I wanted to compile a list of vegetarian foods that has non vegetarian contents. I do see some senior members having contributed here and there but couldn't pull up a thread for this (or is there one?). Help me become 100% vegetarian ! Non vegetarians are also requested to post here..this is not a discussion on morality or karma but knowing what you eat.

Please note that this a list of items which are not obvious non vegetarian.

CHEESE

Every Hindu/Vegetarian/Vegan should know by now that most cheese out there has rennett, that is extracted from the intestine of a calf. Surprising most still do not!

Today I bought my first "vegetarian" cheese in whole foods. I could only manage to get shredded veg cheese. Organic cheese are not necessarily vegetarian...though this means cows were not injected with hormones. Any other stores I should try in US?

Is sour cream veggie?

Gelatin,Lard

These are obvious. Any product having them are a No-No. Including mexican restaurant refried/pinto beans, some tortillas etc.

OMEGA-3

The most popular source of this one is fish. So whatever you buy, be it a juice or oil, with a "omega-3 label" has this. Alternatives of OMEGA-3 is a capsule extraced from algae, flax seeds, walnuts.

White Sugar!!!

I need some serious help in this. Apparently sugar is so white because it is refined with bone char. The possible alternate is unrefined sugar or beet sugar.

Other than this there are products that use animal hair, bird feathers...atleast I have classified them in the lower priority list to be rid of.

"Ignorance is bliss" is definitely not supported in the Vedas!

Re: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Don't forget chocolates now! They can have rennet too...

http://metro.co.uk/2008/01/14/want-m...x-fits-501214/

Goodbye Twix, Milky way, M&M( ???) and snickers. Some say they have switched back while others say not.

Vanakkam,

I assume you live in the US, is it possible for you to get raw milk/french cheese ?

I know here there is no problem considering many many cheese are still made with raw milk only, but I don't know how it is abroad

Good luck !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Vanakkam,

I assume you live in the US, is it possible for you to get raw milk/french cheese ?

I know here there is no problem considering many many cheese are still made with raw milk only, but I don't know how it is abroad

Good luck !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Hello Mckitty!

Thanks for your efforts to help! Yes, I do live in US.

I am still learning and this is what wholefoods (grocery store) have in their website

Q: True or False: It's illegal to sell raw milk cheeses in the US.
    A: Man, we hope not! Thankfully, the answer is false. By law, all raw milk cheeses—essentially cheeses made with unpasteurized milk—must be aged for 60 days in order to be sold in the US. Our mouth-watering selection always meets this standard.

I am curious why you mention it though... don't raw milk cheese have animal rennet in them?

Namaste jignyAsu,

There are different "Whole Foods" type grocery stores depending on where you live in America that could sell the type of products you're looking for. For example, in upstate NY, where I live, the big grocery chain that's dominated this area, Wegmans, has a section in most stores dedicated to "Whole Foods" style merchandise.

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live, jignyAsu? No need for specifics, just a general region would suffice.

(As an aside, there's one Wegmans around where I live that's referred to as the "Church of Wegmans" - because the building it occupies now was once a church! )

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste jignyAsu,

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live, jignyAsu? No need for specifics, just a general region would suffice.
    I live in Pennsylvania, US. Do you get your vegetarian cheese from Wegmans?

To be honest, jignyAsu, I haven't checked...I had no idea about the cheese thing until this thread. And also, while I'm eating more vegetarian meals per week these days, I'm not a complete vegetarian (yet...I'm working on it, okay? ). But I do go to Wegmans for many of my vegetarian groceries - one thing that helps me cut down on meat products is the meat-free alternatives they sell (e.g. Boca burgers, meatless chicken, etc.). I usually pick those up in their whole foods section.

Hey, I gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    To be honest, jignyAsu, I haven't checked...I had no idea about the cheese thing until this thread. And also, while I'm eating more vegetarian meals per week these days, I'm not a complete vegetarian (yet...I'm working on it, okay? ). But I do go to Wegmans for many of my vegetarian groceries - one thing that helps me cut down on meat products is the meat-free alternatives they sell (e.g. Boca burgers, meatless chicken, etc.). I usually pick those up in their whole foods section.

Hey, I gotta start somewhere.
    What? Are you serious?.... just joking. I appreciate your honesty..basic requirement in spirituality.

Working on becoming a vegetarian is a sadhana 1/2 fulfilled! Even avoiding beef is a big step . I remember days when I couldn't even dream of eating anything without onion and garlic.

Hey, I think this research is very important to you too. See after all the efforts you take towards being a vegetarian, how will you feel if some poor calf has been unnecessarily sacrificed for your cheese? Alternatives may not be that hard to find.

So veg or non-veg we should know what we eat, is the point of this thread. Meanwhile I will find more bad news for you after research

Thanks for your contribution.

Tip of the day: Go through the ingredient list for absolutely anything you buy.

For e.g.

"Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers Frozen Vegetables" has gelatin.

It may be just peas..mlEcchAs will find a way for involving a cow in here.

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    White Sugar!!!

I need some serious help in this. Apparently sugar is so white because it is refined with bone char. The possible alternate is unrefined sugar or beet sugar.

Other than this there are products that use animal hair, bird feathers...atleast I have classified them in the lower priority list to be rid of.

"Ignorance is bliss" is definitely not supported in the Vedas!
    Pranams. Great posting! I have also heard this about white sugar, and so my family does not use it. We usually purchase turbinado sugar. Cheese is a real problem - I often call the manufacturer to verify the source of rennet but I do not always trust them. Some cheese fortunately are labeled "no animal rennet" - I don't mind paying extra for these.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information