Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Re: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Here's the reply I got from Hershey's

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company.

Our HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate does not have any ingredients from animals except for milk.

Have a sweet day,
    & from POST cereals:

Thank you for contacting Post Foods in response to your inquiry regarding our cereals.

We are happy to inform you that the glycerin in the Post cereals are plant derived, however the type of Vitamin D that is used in most of our cereals is an animal derivative, as it comes from sheep lanolin. The other animal derivative in our cereals is the gelatin in our Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles Treats as it is pork-based and the whey in some products is derived from milk. All other ingredients in our cereal are plant-based.

However, we do have vegan cereals. They are: Original Shredded Wheat; Spoon-size Shredded Wheat; Shredded Wheat 'n Bran; (contains no gelatin or Vitamin D). They have no animal ingredients or derivatives. We have a complete listing of all of our products and ingredients on our website, www.postfoods.com.

We appreciate your inquiry, and hope you are able to purchase and enjoy Post products.
    I didn't know about the possibility of glycerin in products coming from animals too!

Long time! Here's a site I came across: http://www.eatbibek.com/ - from Sikh friends.

Kirkland-costco milk apparently has Vitamin D from sheep's wool (So you are not eating meat but just munching on hair)

http://www.eatbibek.com/Kirkland_Signature_Milk
    http://www.eatbibek.com/Milk

and some veggie cheese too.

http://www.veggieboards.com/t/101475...eese-at-costco

I do intend to continue my research and transformation, even though I am slow.

I had a question on using a common microwave. Often a microwave used in the office etc, is the abode of all the smells in this world. That smell enters what comes into contact is observed.

Do people who aspire to be a pure vegetarian have any problems with this and if so any solution?

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    I had a question on using a common microwave. Often a microwave used in the office etc, is the abode of all the smells in this world. That smell enters what comes into contact is observed.

Do people who aspire to be a pure vegetarian have any problems with this and if so any solution?
    That is a good question. I have a similar one - when we go to restaurants or even fast food chains as McDonalds/KFC/Chinese eateries at Mall food courts, I've noticed cooks using the same fry pan for making veggies with Chicken/meat as well as 'your order' - the one without meat. They just cook them side by side. How do people go about with this idea? Do you, as a vegetarian, eat in restaurants/fast-food chains, at all?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post

Vannakkam: If we tried to avoid the smell of meat, we would have to stay home. Just walking through any grocery store of food mall will have it. I don't believe odors in the nose are harmful.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    That is a good question. I have a similar one - when we go to restaurants or even fast food chains as McDonalds/KFC/Chinese eateries at Mall food courts, I've noticed cooks using the same fry pan for making veggies with Chicken/meat as well as 'your order' - the one without meat. They just cook them side by side. How do people go about with this idea? Do you, as a vegetarian, eat in restaurants/fast-food chains, at all?
    Vannakkam: I have children who worked in the fast food industry, and its not safe at all. There is a ton of ignorance by the employees as to what entails true vegetarianism, and also a ton of cross-contamination, as you say. So there are a lot of concerns starting from what is used for frying. But many places use the same grill for grilled veggies as they do for meat.

The subtlety of cross contamination is more noticeable for people with full blown Celiac's (gluten allergy) because they will suffer symptoms from it. Whereas, we vegetarians won't have any noticeable symptoms if a few molecules of lard gets into us. My daughter (Celiac's example) can't eat our rice because in the manufacturing process, some container may have had a few grains of wheat in it.

Best to avoid fast-food restaurants anyway.

While traveling with my temple priest last summer, the rule was no restaurants that serve meat, and cross-contamination is why. But then many of us might take a slightly less 'extreme' stance and not worry much about it. If it's health you're concerned about, worry is worse than a few micrograms of meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    If it's health you're concerned about, worry is worse than a few micrograms of meat.

Aum Namasivaya
    Not concerned about the health really - but about the vegetarian part... Don't want to eat even minute amounts of meat with prayers being offered sincerely to 'sattwic' deities... I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: If we tried to avoid the smell of meat, we would have to stay home. Just walking through any grocery store of food mall will have it. I don't believe odors in the nose are harmful.

Aum Namasivaya
    My problem is with the odor entering my food (not my nose), when I use a common microwave(where all the beings in this world are cooked). Odor seems to enter our clothes..so I thought it might enter the food also.

This morning suddenly an idea struck me on getting Thermos lunch box..that will keep my food warm till lunch time without needing a microwave.

I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth.
    Vannakkam: Be careful with ice cream too. http://www.alternet.org/story/145144..._meat_products

Aum Namasivaya

This is a good question also. Definetely we as Hindus that wish to progress by sticking to a sattvic diet note sooner or later that the food in restaurants are totally mixed. Same pan, oil, spoons, gloves, accidental mixing of chunks. Its a bigger problem in the west where even beef can easily find a way into your food.

As Eastern mind puts it, if you can, then eating at home is the best. This is practised by all the priests, dedicated devotees etc.

For others who don't think it "practical" to avoid all restaurants, I still think:

Eating @home(/temples/devotees' home) >> Eating @ Veggie restaurant >> Eating Veggie @ mixed restaurants >>> Eating non-veg (NO mother cow).

I think that with each step is a big progress. I eat only @home after offering my food to Hari.

One thing though. I feel strongly that food cooked in restaurants should NOT be offered to God.

Not concerned about the health really - but about the vegetarian part... Don't want to eat even minute amounts of meat with prayers being offered sincerely to 'sattwic' deities... I think I will restrict myself to just 'icecreams' and 'coffee' at restaurants henceforth.
    Excellent!! Please remember many icecreams have eggs (its easy to find one that does not).

Thread Information