Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purpose behind contradiction of different paths

Purpose behind contradiction of different paths

Note sure where should I post it

Namaste Respected members

After spending some time with HDF, I have few questions

1. What is the purpose behind Different paths / beliefs contracting each other
    2. Different Puranas contradict each other, atleast in crude manner or superficially e.g. Shiva Purana will say Shiva is supreme and Vishnu Purana will say Vishnu is supreme

My question is - What is the purpose of this contradiction?
    Is truth one or many?

another question is

If I am OP and ask a question, people will talk from different standpoint. All are right from their standpoint.

Now the question is if OP has gets opposite answers, what will be his/her position? will OP find answer or leave more confused?

To add to it, anonymity is maintained and preferred.

In this case what can be done for the good of all.

Just want to know your opinion and what shruti says in this regards.

Aum
    IS
    Last edited by Amrut; 17 February 2013 at 04:07 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Re: Purpose behind contradiction of different paths

Namaste IS,

I don'tr know if I have the exact answer. However, let's first remember the Truth that Ramkrishna Paramahansa found : All paths lead to the same Reality. He didn't only give a theory but proved it with his own personal experience.

Now why these different paths ? I would say that somehow for some unknown reasons, "Nature likes variety and secrecy and has created the world accordingly". Because of variety in people's personalities, different people have different spiritual requirements. So, one path may not suit all.

Now, when we have four different paths for reaching the same station, then how can any path be invalid ? Lord Krishna expected this dispute and therefore he said, "SAmkhya-yogau prithagbAlaAh pravadanti na panditAh" (BG 5.4).

Still we are hooked to the beauty of our paths and have forgotten the goal which is the same !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

We have beginningless Karma and are each in different stages of the reincarnation cycle. As a result, each of our nature (shaped by prakriti) is different. The circumstances we are born in is different. The Karma that has to be worked out is different. The prescribed means to work out various Karmas are different.

Just like how the same movie evokes different reactions in different people, the same scripture evokes different reactions in different people.

Ergo, IMHO.

thank you Devotee ji and Wundermonk ji

I have read the life if Sri Ramakrishna and he did say what you have said and experienced.

I have, in my earlier posts, given this thoughts

to put it in brief:

Different paths are to cover people with different mindsets, nature, prakruti and their sanjoga (circumstances). Upadeshas are given keeping these and his birth characteristics and merits of karma in past life in mind. Maybe there are more reasons behind giving a particular upadesha.

I am not asking why are there so many paths and so many gods

What i am asking is the the reason behind the controversial statements by acharyas like Shankara, Madhava, Ramanuja, et al.

I think there is deeper meaning if we can pierce the superficial curtain of contradiction, the actual purpose will be very different, which I have made in the thread Does smriti texts .... posts #8 and #9

1. The purpose is to see a devotee progress in spirituality. Parroting shatras and not living as per their instructions is what is their target.
    2. They want to reestablish the long lost tradition of our golden age but to do so they have to contradict the popular belief at that time.
    3. It is the need of the hour.

Regarding contradiction is puranas, praising any form of God is to

1. Have one-pointed devotion
    2. No need to go anywhere else
    3. God (ishwara) is capable to grant what you want.
    4. All Gods are equally powerful, to be respected and worthy of worship.
    5. A particular form of God is supreme to their devotee

I think that acharyas cannot just contradict for the sake of contradiction and their aim is never to defame any path or (right) belief. By meaning right belief, I say, they will oppose anything evil in society like Sati, etc. there has to be a deeper meaning.

In this post I have just given my conclusion. Generally I give an e.g. as it gives better understanding. One of the reason for my posts lengthy

But, this is just my personal opinion. I just wanted to know the opinion of other members.

Aum
    IS

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    Note sure where should I post it

Namaste Respected members

After spending some time with HDF, I have few questions

1. What is the purpose behind Different paths / beliefs contracting each other
    2. Different Puranas contradict each other, atleast in crude manner or superficially e.g. Shiva Purana will say Shiva is supreme and Vishnu Purana will say Vishnu is supreme

My question is - What is the purpose of this contradiction?
    Is truth one or many?
    To me, this means these various beliefs were created by humans and consequently, there can be no truth to any of this. But people like to believe there is something grander out there and will pick one out of these, based on circumstances and/or personal preferences. And once, a person stakes out his/her position. it becomes a sentimental issue when someone else contradicts their beliefs and they feel compelled to get defensive.

If I am OP and ask a question, people will talk from different standpoint. All are right from their standpoint.

Now the question is if OP has gets opposite answers, what will be his/her position? will OP find answer or leave more confused?
    As Hinduism is a hodge-podge, this is invariably going to be the case. If you want to get specific, you should seek out more exclusive discussion forums like an advaita list, etc.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Thank you Shiv.somashekhar ji for your personal opinion.

Aum

Could it be because of difference between Vaikuntha and Kailasa - the abodes of liberated souls and the difference in the nature of liberation one would supposedly get following each of the paths? (For example, there is no 'Sayuja mukti' in Vishishtadvaita). Because the environment is different, the belief system should be different in each of the cases...

Namaste.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

The shruti does not contradict itself. Contradictions are due to the introduction of sectarian beliefs by human agency.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste IS ji,

Blind men describing elephant come up with varying descriptions.

All of the texts we have try to describe something far more greater than anything that either our karmendriyas or gnanendriyas are prepred to fathom.

I would accept all the descriptions , ignore the contradictions and tread along the path - hoping to win the divine grace to understand this. This includes disobeying some smritis like manu's - since those dont agree with my conscience.

Thank you Viraja ji, Philosoraptor ji, and Seeker ji

Thread Information