Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Hindu[convert] feel when lives in Non-Hindu social when you were new coverter?

How Hindu[convert] feel when lives in Non-Hindu social when you were new coverter?

Namaste all,

This post I took a time to decided I am Hindu convert. I follow Sanatana Dharma. I've converted the religion from Theravada Buddhist for a year. My background was all Buddhist. My country is mostly Buddhist (approx 80-90%) but some of them also worship Hindu deities with Lord Buddha too. But I still feel strange when people knows me that my religion is Hinduism. They usually have the question like

"Really?? Ohhh... *0* "
    "Why do you convert to Hindu? It's rarely"
    etc.

I also participate the Buddhist event such as offering food to the monk. Donate for Buddhist ceremony and etc. When they know that I am Hindu. They are really feel strange too I still worship Lord Buddha but worship as the avatar of Lord Vishnu.

I feel proud to be Hindu [as Hindu convert] and I trust in Brahman and Hindu deities. I trust that is my true way. This Dharma makes me concentrate in the religion and the fact of life.

So,that is my experience and situation I meet usual. I would like to know when you were new converter. How did you feel and what did you do?

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti~

Re: How Hindu[convert] feel when lives in Non-Hindu social when you were new coverter

Coversion is at the mind level. You are now subscribing to a different thought process and different way of looking at life and creation. It is a new way of looking at the TRUTH or ultimate knowledge.

That should not in any major way change the way you lead your normal life. Whether Buddha, Christ or any other great saints, they deserve all respects from us.

Again change is in the way you will be defining the relationships (you and world, universe, and beyond), the actions (you do and others do) and your position.

These are all out of mind.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Re: How Hindu[convert] feel when lives in Non-Hindu social when you were new coverter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff08 View Post

So,that is my experience and situation I meet usual. I would like to know when you were new converter. How did you feel and what did you do?

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti~
    Vannakkam Jeff: There is a period of adjustment, and eventually people get used to it. I adopted Hinduism almost 40 years ago, and I felt like I had come home, to where my heart was. Very few of the people around me shared in my experience, so at times I felt alone in the beginning. But eventually you move on. I'm not sure how Buddhists would react. I would think it would be in a curiousity way, not an angry or antagonistic way.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste all,

I would say thank you everyone for sharing your experience and good information that I can action in the way. Right now I feel good to looking at the truth in this way. God bless you~

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti
    Last edited by Jeff08; 24 February 2013 at 11:51 PM.

I started my journey in Sanatana Dharma in the 1970s. Many young Americans began looking eastward at that time and I have never looked back. Unfortunately the nearest temple is over 40 miles away, I don't have a car and do not know any devotees in my area. I do keep an area of my home for my morning devotions and puja.

I move through life trying my best to keep my dharma and get my guidance and teaching from the Kauai Monastery in Hawaii. I don't necessarily wear my religion on my sleeve but many times I have had to correct people who assumed I was a Christian and I would then explain my spiritual principles.

Om Saravanabhava
    All is Siva there is nothing without Siva.

Hare Krishna!

I became a Hindu some years ago, and I am a Filipina-Canadian by birth! Generally in Canada people keep their religion to themselves, and only bring it up if it happens to be the subject, or if someone is trying to dig up some information about a person!

I was born and raised in a Catholic family, and despite the Christian samskaras knitted into my first period of life, I just became more and more attracted to Hindu teachings! Now I am trying to be a good Vaishnava Hindu, with more actions and less talk.

Although that is very hard, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    Hare Krishna!

I became a Hindu some years ago, and I am a Filipina-Canadian by birth! Generally in Canada people keep their religion to themselves, and only bring it up if it happens to be the subject, or if someone is trying to dig up some information about a person!

I was born and raised in a Catholic family, and despite the Christian samskaras knitted into my first period of life, I just became more and more attracted to Hindu teachings! Now I am trying to be a good Vaishnava Hindu, with more actions and less talk.

Although that is very hard, lol!
    I am much older than you and my path is easier than yours, I believe. I have worked through many attachments and ego. Once I realized how much ego caused unsettledness my life seeing it for what it is it has slowly been dissolving and my life is now on the serene side. What I miss is socializing with like minded devotees even devotees of Vishnu and his incarnations. LOL

Om namah shivaya om

Namaste

I am born Hindu, so I do not know what converts will feel.

What I can think is something similar to what Eastern Mind (EM) has said.

The different lies in core belief. So when you enter into debates or simple discussion and put forward Hindu philosophy which does not lie in line of Buddhist philosophy, it can be a cause of problem.

e.g.

The core belief is that of shunyata. Sri Ramana Maharshi in verse 12 of '40 verses of reality' has said that Atman is not Shunya, but the observer of shunya or Jnana

12. That alone is true Knowledge which is neither knowledge nor ignorance. What is known is not true Knowledge. Since the Self shines with nothing else to know or to make known, It alone is Knowledge. It is not a void.
    Many Advaitins (ones who are practicing Advaita vedanta) i.e. god without attribute also same the same thing. Advaita means non-duality. (you cannot negate the existence of yourself)

What I mean to say is that core concepts could be the cause of problems. So better avoid such contradictory concepts, if you are living among them.

You can surely worship Buddha as God, who is respected by many Hindus as an Avatar i.e. God and even give alms, donations to buddhists monks. Participate in Buddhist events, but again, keep yourself out of any controversies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff08 View Post

I feel proud to be Hindu [as Hindu convert] and I trust in Brahman and Hindu deities. I trust that is my true way. This Dharma makes me concentrate in the religion and the fact of life.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti~
    Trust yourself. Go ahead. Good luck for your spiritual journey.

Aum
    Indiaspirituality
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste

Because we need to not waste time with controversy in certain situations I speak on the commonalities as opposed to the differences. I sometimes share what little I know but in a way that relates to another's belief. For instance when A Christian remarks about our multitude of Gods I will relate that they also believe in their own threesome, that being God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, each with different aspects such as The Holy Ghost entering a person's heart when they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Om shanti shanti

Namaste All

Adventures in Cow Paddies

I can understand the hesitation, sometimes even grounded in a fear of becoming the brunt of being made embarrassed of by those who don't like you, when exposing yourself as to what you are in a public situation which you do not feel protected among your own (e.g. Hindus).

Of course, “Hinduism” is a Western corruption from “Indus”, and Sanatana Dharma is the better term, but I adopted the word since, to me, it represents the large and diverse family we have in Hinduism – and personally if I were to translate the word “Hinduism”, I would translate the word as FELLOWSHIP, because even though we see some trying to fight with other sects, schisms, et all, or trying to claim one over the other and so on, indeed we are a Fellowship and that is why it was before, is now, and will be in the future. This fellowship is the strength – and it is the same strength that makes us strong in any public situation.

But for me, to be honest, it isn’t a question of “strength” in as much as, I enjoy myself so much as a Hindu I sort of “don’t care what anybody thinks” (if you can understand what I am trying to say). Nevertheless, I understand the feelings involved when Jeff08 or others ask the question, “I feel proud to be Hindu … feel strange too” (I think this is in context of what I mean by “exposing what you are in public”) .. “How did you feel and what did you do?” ….

So I was thinking, how would I answer such a question? And it made me think back, with a laugh, to a little adventure in cow paddies from a long time ago. It wasn’t exactly when I was “new” (e.g. “convert” – though I don’t like to use that word), but it was a long time ago and was an example of being what you are in public when you think you might “feel strange” et all.

But first, I can only express and relate to what I know and have experienced. Things may be different, country to country, state to state (e.g. if you live in a country such as USA which is 50 “little countries” or states). In the case of Jeff, and Buddhism, my experience is that I have never, never, ever had any situation with Buddhists as far as me being a Hindu. I know that is a little different than Jeff’s situation being a “convert” and thus would perhaps be asked a lot of questions – but as far as I have observed, Buddhists are the most benign, loving and peaceful, and tolerant people I know, and so I doubt there would be any “issues”, only curiosity perhaps. In my personal observation, there was only one “club” (whether it be national identity, political, religious, cultural, et all) that I have ever encountered what I would call a serious “attack” or strong negative or threatening reaction to me being a Hindu, and that came from Islamists. In fact, I was told I should be killed by some Islamist. Having said that, the typical “club” that comes into this conversation regarding “Hindu converts” and negative flak from those (in the West or outside of India for example) who “don’t like you” (because you are Hindu) is the question of Christians. I suppose in some places (in the US for example) you might encounter some extremists or some little communities who really might give you the evil eye if you will (or even threats, perhaps?), but I am not going to lie, I have not ever encountered that. I have run into Christians who want to “convert you back”, but overall personally I have not encountered what I would call “public attack” or threats or just plain “being mean” sort of things in public. Maybe I have been lucky, I don’t know.

But again, I understand why some may have this “fear” of it happening – or seeking because of “hesitation” to being what you are in public, to seek out others experiences.

So here is one of my experiences.

One day I went to a temple during a “work day” (e.g. Monday through Friday). This was an ISKCON Temple, which was located in a central, metropolitan environment. There wasn’t much going on at the temple at the time, but I was liked by many of the devotees and was approached by one with a dilemma.

The nice devotee was in a situation where he was given the task to get cow paddies.

Apparently, they were needed for an upcoming festival. I think it was a Govardan Hill festival or celebration. He didn’t know what to do, so while we were talking I said, “well, if you want cow paddies, you have to go where the cows are …” – and then I held up and jiggled my car keys.

“Yeah!” he said. “Let me get some prashadam first!” … So he comes back with a couple of cups of sweet rice and a lot of halva wrapped in a paper napkin. He also had a garbage bag to put the cow paddies in it. And so we jump into the car and off we go to find cows.

Soon we are off the freeway, and driving around what I knew was cow country. It was a beautiful day! Soon we were buzzing along fence lines – and out there, the cows, and we could see cow paddies (cow droppings). But we hadn’t really thought out the “logistics” of it.

We are now slowing down along fence lines, and looking with greed and anticipation at those cow paddies. Now what?

So, the devotee is thinking I might jump over the fence and start to run around and grab cow paddies, but he couldn’t because he might get his dhoti tangled in the wire fence. Hmmm… this wasn’t sounding that good of an idea. I wasn’t keen on jumping anyone’s fence.

Then I suggest, “you know what – there is a park not far from here with a public hiking trail that goes into where there are cows and cow paddies … let’s go there – but one thing, I was chase knee deep into a creek once there by a bull, so we have to be a little careful …” …

“Let’s Go!” says the devotee, and so we head to the hiking trail.

But before we get there, suddenly before us is the Disneyland of Cow Paddies – a farm with lots of milk cows, and by the grace of the Lord, LOTS of cow paddies are seen!

Wow!

So, there is this driveway from the road, with an OPEN gate, going to a ranch house.

So the devotee wants to go and “ask”. Yes, in other words, drive right into this farm, up to the ranch house, and knock on the door to ask “permission” to gather cow paddies.

Hmmm… here was the moment when I started to have that “fear”. I am dressed in pretty much “western” clothes, the devotee of course has his head shaved, wearing a dhoti, with tilak, with japa bag, which of course is normal.
    But would whoever opens that door, think this is normal?

Or will they open up with a shotgun at me?

But I don’t say that to the devotee. I say, “ …. Ok”.

So now the tires are making that “gravelly” sound as we drive over gravel, not very fast, to the “ranch house”. Then we get out, and next we are walking to the front door. Knock, knock, knock.

I could hear sounds inside. No one answers right away. I am thinking, ok, then we can leave (or was I hoping no one would answer?). But someone did answer.

The door opens. It was the worst case example of what you think is going to be in your imagination. A guy opens the door, he is not very tall (right off, that is a problem, sometimes being short they might have an attitude thinking someone is questioning their authority – because of being short – and have, well, a “reaction”). He has a belt with a BIG BELT BUCKLE (those who come from US know what I am talking about, that means a real cow or farm guy). He has a cowboy hat on. He is older, he but more wrinkles on his face than age would dictate, his eyes are cold blue, his nose is big, his ears have hair on them, his teeth are yellow (and probably tobacco stained). In the back ground, I see a TV playing a college football game.

He looks at the devotee, and his eyes almost bug out of his head.

“Yeah ???? “ – he says (a drawn out Yeeeeahhhhh).

“Hi, we are from a religious organization, and we wanted to ask if, well, it might sound sort of strange, but we need to collect some cow manure, actually specifically the cow paddies out in the field into this bag we have (devotee doesn’t finish the sentence) …. “ says the devotee.

“Beth, there are some folks here, come over here” says the guy who opened the door. Then his wife comes to the door, too.

“So – what sort of religious organization are you anyway?” he asked, still looking at the devotee, but the eyes are not as bugged out as was at first.

“You might have heard of Krishna. If you haven’t, He is a cowboy from India”, says the devotee.

“Now, son, I have heard of you all, you’re the Hare Krishnas. So what do you want with me?” he says.

“Well, we were hoping to gather the cow paddies. Those ones out there in the field. You have a lot. We don’t want to be a bother or anything …” says the devotee.

Long pause. “What you going to do with the cow manure?” says the guy.
    To be honest, I was in such a state of “shock” I don’t even remember what the devotee said at that point. Everything sort of went “blurred”.

But whatever that devotee said, bless his heart, by Bhagavan, it worked!

“Sure – go ahead – you can head over there, you will find lots of it. Take all you want!” says the guy.

I couldn’t believe it. Next we are over there, gathering cow paddies and putting them in the bag.

And do you know what, the guy then comes out heading over to us. I sort of stop at that point. “Here, let me help you” he says, and starts picking up paddies with a shovel and putting them in our bag. Soon we had all the devotee needed.

We thanked him, so much! As we got in the car and drove away, his wife is out waving at us with a smile!

So…

You never know. Don’t be afraid. Be what you are. The Devas and Devi are with you. And for this devotee, Krishna was there.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information