Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we control mind ?

Can we control mind ?

Doing good things physically and doing bad things physically is one thing. Similarly thinking good things and bad things is another thing. It is possible due to the atmosphere Man can think bad things sometimes. Is it considered a sin when you think bad things but have never done any bad things ? What does the religion say about this ?.

Re: Can we control mind ?

Thoughts without any action plays out as kriyamana karma. Any karma does mature as the fruit, bitter or sweet. kriyamana karma as the name suggests matures soon.

Bad thoughts if does not get released as bad actions will play back as guilt on the mind ~ kind of a bad thing also.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

I quite don't like the word sin.

Quote Originally Posted by koya View Post
    Doing good things physically and doing bad things physically is one thing. Similarly thinking good things and bad things is another thing. It is possible due to the atmosphere Man can think bad things sometimes. Is it considered a sin when you think bad things but have never done any bad things ? What does the religion say about this ?.
    Hello,

SM has explained it nicely. I will add a story.

A God loving women used to do japa-tapa with pure mind. Incidentally a prostitute came to stay as a neighour of the pious lady.

The prostitute used to pray to God once daily "--pardon my ill deeds Lord, I do it solely for the sustenance". On the other hand, the pious lady lost her calm and became bitter of the neighbour. Forgetting japa tapa, she kept on cursing and plotting how to evict the evil lady.

God sent the prostitute to heaven and the other to hell.

This is a story told by Shri Ramakrishna.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by koya View Post
    Is it considered a sin when you think bad things but have never done any bad things?
    Namaste Koya,

Singhi (SM78) and Atanu have addressed your question nicely.

Just a word or two about the term sin. Sin is a strong term, and negative karmas are not always sins. In Abrahamic religions, sin is a transgression of God's law (the commandments). By contrast, in Sanatana Dharma, a sin is not an act against God, but an act against the tenets of Dharma; it's an act against your own self. A sin is an intentional and purposeful transgression of Dharma, which generally involves thought, word and deed.

Most of us are not able to think only positive and alturistic thoughts or to perform only such actions, yes? Therefore, it is recommended to us that we offer all of our actions by thought, word and deed unto the Divine, and/or to ask for forgiveness in our prayers.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Pranam Koya

Sm. has explained it atanu ji illustrated it with a nice story and agnideva has expanded with nothing left to say.when he says

By contrast, in Sanatana Dharma, a sin is not an act against God, but an act against the tenets of Dharma; it's an act against your own self. A sin is an intentional and purposeful transgression of Dharma, which generally involves thought, word and deed.

Most of us are not able to think only positive and alturistic thoughts or to perform only such actions, yes? Therefore, it is recommended to us that we offer all of our actions by thought, word and deed unto the Divine, and/or to ask for forgiveness in our prayers.

Kayena vacha manasendriyairva
    Buddhyatmana va prakrite swabhavath
    Karomi yadyad sakalam parasmai
    Narayanayeti samarpayami

Whatever I do with my body, speech, mind or with other senses of my body, or with my intellect and soul or with my innate natural tendencies I offer (dedicate) everything to Lord Narayana.

Krishna says

karmendriyani samyamya
    ya aste manasa smaran
    indriyarthan vimudhatma
    mithyacarah sa ucyate

The deluded ones, who restrain their organs of action but mentally dwell upon the sense enjoyment, are called hypocrites. (3.06)

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

To focus on controlling mind is self-defeating.

It could be like someone trying to lose weight who obsesses on calories ... perhaps successful in the short term, but ultimately this train of thought feeds the fat just as if one had eaten.

Better, perhaps, to focus less on calorie intake and more on doing other things than eating?

YMMV

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    Namaste,

To focus on controlling mind is self-defeating.

It could be like someone trying to lose weight who obsesses on calories ... perhaps successful in the short term, but ultimately this train of thought feeds the fat just as if one had eaten.

Better, perhaps, to focus less on calorie intake and more on doing other things than eating?

YMMV

ZN
    Yes, I think YMMV is the correct thing here. There are many ways.

But Yoga and enquiry paths are valid prescribed paths in sanatana dharma. Slow does it. Love does it. Infinite patience does it.

Watching the thoughts and bringing the thoughts back lovingly to the Seer of the thought is one way. Lord Krishna has taught this in Gita.

Ramana Guru taught that the I thought is the root of all other thought. Enquiring as to who this I is, keeps the mind rooted (centred) and also is drawn to Self eventually. Going by the accounts of many experienced practitioners and of myself and of Ramana himself, I should have no doubt.

Vedic method followers usually dissuade use of Tantra.

But YMMV. The path would not be there had it been not useful --- positively or negatively. hehe.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thank you everyone for your kind response.

Sometimes a bad thought may leave the person to do some good deed. So I agree the thoughts matures and will bear fruit / or bad things in future.

Example:
    Day1:
    A rich man who knows that he is going to become deaf in the next one or two years becomes im-patient and curses god that why was he born in such a situation ?

Day2:
    He walks around the streets of downtown and sees a beautiful girl. She smiles at him, he feels very happy. She walks down to him and begs for money. He is shocked obviosly, and thinks what has happened to her that she is begging. He helps her and returns home.

Day3:
    He goes to a restaurant and sees another family visiting the restaurant to eat. And sees one of the person in the family is blind. And sees another handicap who cannot walk. His agony increases. He curses God again.

Day4:
    He walks down another street adjacent to his house and finds a wise man. And talks to the wise man. The wise man explains to him that nobody's life is perfect and teaches him about karma yoga.

Day5:
    He thinks and thinks again, and concudes ...Oh my god. What have I done. I have been cursing you all this time. He decided he will build a temple and spread contribute to dharma.

Now what has happened to the person in Day4 and Day5 may not have happened to everyone. So a man's action can be circumstantial. Although a good thought has happened to the guy on the fifth day, he has been cursing God all along.

Now how does Chitragupta who works with Hemadharma weigh his deeds ? Will be become a good guy who is building a temple or a bad guy because he has cursed ? Where will be his next birth be ? At a better place - because he did some things good or at a bad place because he had cursed so many bad things. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    Vedic method followers usually dissuade use of Tantra.
    Followers of Sri Shankara Bhagavatpada can't say such ~ Sri Vidya is the integral part of the sadhna, although they rarely speakth in public about it.
    Last edited by sm78; 06 March 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Thread Information