Thread: Using Camphor in pooja

Hybrid View

Using Camphor in pooja

Anyone have experience using camphor for Pooja in a typical house in US ? The problem is it is creating a lot of smoke and I noticed the carpet has gone black within a few days of using it (especially around corners of doors and walls). Maybe I am using the wrong brand? Anyone have any suggestions ? How is everyone else doing pooja's here. Is there any alternative ..i.e. can we use something else instead of camphor. ?

Re: Using Camphor in pooja

Quote Originally Posted by koya View Post
    Anyone have experience using camphor for Pooja in a typical house in US ? The problem is it is creating a lot of smoke and I noticed the carpet has gone black within a few days of using it (especially around corners of doors and walls). Maybe I am using the wrong brand? Anyone have any suggestions ? How is everyone else doing pooja's here. Is there any alternative ..i.e. can we use something else instead of camphor. ?
    Namaste Koya,

Why don't you try using oil lamps with cotton wicks? They produce minimal smoke, and even then only when you blow them out. Sometimes people also use tealights in a platter for aarati purposes.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Thanks Agnideva. I am using that too as the deepam.

But Karpura Aarthi (aarthi with camphor) is also done at the end of pooja. Can we bypass this ? just wondering there should be some significance why its being used ?

Quote Originally Posted by koya View Post
    just wondering there should be some significance why its being used ?
    Namaste !

When I try to seek a deeper meaning ...i always found that... nothing is necessary and everything is necessary...

As a kid growing up seeing the Karpur... (Camphor) aarti .. we were told Camphor when burns leaves no residue... and just like that we have to burn our desires , or bad things in us.. leaving no residue of desires... also in the glory of Shiva's its mentioned that with his body covered with ash .. looks white like camphor hued...etc.

I am from New England area (USA) and its quiet cold here from Dec till April. Its very difficult to do Agnihotra with windows and door open when negative wind chill blowing from outside. Couple of months ago at one of the ashram in USA, I found out how to do Agnihotra using Camphor. Since than we been doing Agnihotra at home using Kapur (Camphor) and havent seen any black spot or other things yet. I dont know how true it is but I have heard from other friends about increase in humidity at their home which can increase some mold activity and that is in black color...

If the old traditional saying about Kapur (Camphor) leaves no residue than the question is does Kapur really leave residue or any by-product ?

Hari OM !
    Brahma satyam jaganmithyaa jiivo brahma iva naaparah....

Smile Re: Using Camphor in pooja

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
    Namaste Koya.
    Before one starts parayan of any sacred scripture or does aarathi,it is mandatory in Hindu culture that one uses CAMPHOR.
    For Eg : As a preface to the parayan of Sage Valmiki Sundarakandam,
    there is a sloka in sanskrit that says "Samastha pradhakshamaartham Sarvamangalya prapthyarthyam Karpoora (CAMPHOR) neerajanam darshaayami".Neerajaanantharam Aachamaniyam Samarpayami.Rakshaan Darayaami.
    An Sugesstion : You can reduce the measure of camphor.
    A different Brand is also an option to be considered.

Thread Information