Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayaschitta (Atonement or Penance) Not Modern Saivism? Hinduism?

Prayaschitta (Atonement or Penance) Not Modern Saivism? Hinduism?

Namaste

As from what I have observed, among Modern Hindus (e.g. as arisen from the Middle Ages with various Bhakta movements of Tamil Saints, the ocean of mystic and monistic practice of Saiva Sidhhanta, the devotional dualistic movement of Chaitanya Vaishnavs and Gaudiyas, and the mystic practices among Siddhars, within the Tri-Murthi Majesty post-Vedic times, e.g. “Modern Hinduism”), there was still a strong sense of the practice of Prayaschitta or “atonement, penance”, in particular in certain regions such as Saiva Kashi or in South India, for hundreds of years.

I still see this true among some Saivas, in particular those of linages from Kashi of North India, and of Murugan Bhaktas and Siddhantans of Tamil South India, who maintain a reverence for the practice of Prayaschitta or atonement, but in general it seems to have fallen to the “way side” if you will.

Is this not something we find among temple priests prescribing such, or specific Prayaschittas prescribed by a Guru in response to a question about a “sin” or some “current life” Instant Karma of one’s own doing that calls for atonement (past life Karmas may require more than Prayaschittas, in some cases those who are atoning for past life Karmas may decide to use Tapas)?

What happened to the role of Prayaschittas in Modern Hinduism? Seems it is “not in vogue”. But shouldn’t it?

Taking a vow, as in Vrata, such as to refrain from something is another Prayaschitta, or to vow to given to the needy, or fasting vow. There are appeasements or bakeesh or "bribes" (yes, though not exactly the same as what happens with the police! ) or gifts or offerings to Devas and Devis as Santis such as reciting verses, or gifting to Deities, this is a form of Prayaschitta.

Kashi is a destination for countless (and certainly for sages, yogis, mystics, arhants, siddhars, and spiritualists) souls, who come to the City of Light as part of Tirthayatras or Pilgrimages. In fact, Tirthayatras is one of the six means (and there are more) of recommended (by yogi, Guru, savant to a devotee) Prayaschittas, or in some cases a devout will promise to Devas or Devi to go on such a Pilgrimage to “this holy place” (Kashi is a famous destination) in atonement or penance.

Kavadi is a form of Prayaschitta.

There are other examples, but as a devout of Kashi the Never Forsaken City, I feel a strong sense of the importance of pilgrimages. Of course pilgrimages are important without any need for Prayaschitta, simply taken out of devotion for seeking a liberating tirtha, simply for the pure joy of it even, but it is also a wonderful Prayaschitta which is within the possibilities of many jiva souls who seek to mitigate Instant Karma which lingers and also effects the consciousness, or to atone for something.

Yet, this idea of Prayaschitta or atonement or penance, inclusive of pilgrimages and other examples as I noted, does not seem to be popular among many (if not most?) Hindus today?

Why?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 25 February 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Removed the "Post Icon" which was a mistake

Re: Prayaschitta (Atonement or Penance) Not Modern Saivism? Hinduism?

Vannakkam ShivaFan: Where are you getting your information from, besides personal experience, and observation? I have no information or research to offer, other than that my personal experience has probably varied somewhat from yours. I've seen quite a few people who still practice prayaschitta. The exception is in communities where the British Education system has had an impact, in that it (prayaschitta) may be frowned upon.

So I'm not sure. I wonder how some of our Indian friends view it.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM

I never hear this subject come up among temples or "community centers", established Hindu organizations in the US, other than as I noted certain temples, estabished traditions, that have linages associated to Murugan or Kashi traditions.

In fact my observation is most Western Hindus have no idea or even heard of this, among Hindus overall it is not popular.

In India or Singapore, Malaysia, it is still discussed. Is it still considered important... or does it also take a "back seat"?

I haven't seen much on Prayaschittas on the forum, I wonder if "Western Hindus" on the forum have any awareness of such? Are others familiar with this. It's an interesting subject. How is it put into practice among others, or is this too "old fashioned" for some sensibilities, or totally absent from their Hindu life?

Om Namah Sivaya

I have done 'Sankalpa Seva' to Raghavendra Swamiji about 18 yrs ago for 3 days (or 5 I cannot recollect) as a prarthana. My wishes did come true after this. Sankalpa Seva is very hard to do - there are many rules to follow, some of which are:

i) One must bathe several times a day and wear clothes that have been made wet and dried partially.
    ii) After each bath, one should go around an established shrine of Raghavendra Swamiji and prostrate before his picture 4 times in each direction in each cycle. The cycle count can be 4, 11, etc.
    iii) One should not lie down on mattress or use pillows.
    iv) One should not eat food on plate, one should eat from his/her own hands, and one should eat only fruits and such - nothing spicy and should eat only once.
    v) One should not watch TV, etc and keep concentrating on Guru Rayaru all the time.

The above is just a short list of do's, there is a link here that has a Q&A on all do's and don'ts -> Sankalpa Seva.

----------------------------------

Another time, I have done 'Ganesh Chaturthi vrata' for Lord Ganesha, this again about 12 yrs ago. Starting on an auspicious day a month before Ganesh Chaturthi, one has to wake up very early in the morning, max. 5 AM, and has to recite a sequence of stotras and offer White flowers to Ganesha. I don't recall much of the steps unfortunately, a temple purohit from a San Francisco Ganesha temple gave me the steps. I got my wish fulfilled right after this too. This time I did it because I was undergoing Ketu dasha and Ganesha is the athi-devata for planet Ketu. It was fulfilling to do this vrata during Ketu mahadasha.

----------------------------------

The last vrata that I had undertaken was 'Vaibhava Lakshmi Vratam'. I did this about 8 yrs ago, it involves fasting the whole day with just water until sunset, doing a pooja for Vaibhava Lakshmi invoking the 8 direction lords, 9 planets, Ganesh pooja and finally Vaibhava Lakshmi puja and then breaking the fast for 11 consecutive Fridays. (I actually did only 6 of the 11 Fridays...). I felt sick taking just to water the whole day, it left me with both headache and a nauseating feeling on the evening when I sat down to do the 1 1/2 hr long Vaibhava Lakshmi pooja to end the fast, I guess this is because I had never fasted before that... Though I did not finish the pooja, I still consider it an accomplishment because 6 fasting days is something for me to have achieved!
    Last edited by Viraja; 26 February 2013 at 11:25 AM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam ShivaFan: I think you're probably right. Its not something many of the western 'Hindu' groups do. If they lean to universalism, then it would seem not. At least that would be my experience. But on a personal level, (I am a western Hindu too) I do so much of it, I couldn't even begin to make a list. Now its just part of life, part of 'my' version of Hinduism.

In South India, I observed many people performing walking penance to Palani and Sabrimalai. Goint to the Kumbh Mela, another 100 million people or so. Not some simple thing either.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

This is very much a done thing in Bharat. Kumbh mela is the biggest example to do Prayaschitta or for just the love of it. every year people walk miles, manta or manat to reach great distance to a particular holy place. there are those who do it prostrating. to name all those parikrama i would probably spend all day listing it.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste All

This has been valuable information, thank you so much!

I think Western Hindus, which I am, are lacking in many vital processes such as respecting and understanding Prayaschitta. Many of us know nothing of it at all.

But we do want to learn, and isn't this also a component of "Dharma Law" or Hindu Law if you will? I noticed that the Himalayan Academy has some detailed information on this, which is what inspired me to think and ask if others in the West know of this.

One day, there may be a "Hindu political party" in the USA, despite the fact that we hate politicians in general. It is a long ways off, but this one aspect may play a role.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam SF: I think you are correct for many western Hindu organizations. Himalayan Academy is an exception. Personally, I think it is a subconscious retention from either the previous religion, or secular humanism, or westernism, for lack of a better word. (If I told some of my cousins, even some western Hindus some of the things I've done, they would be appalled!) There is also materialism.

Lets take walking, for example. In my city, we have a substantial Sikh population. Those guys walk everywhere. (a slight exaggeration) whereas the average westerner won't walk two blocks.

Any more extreme forms like kavadi would be scorned. There is just no understanding of it as a way to develop will, and discipline. But yes, I agree, eventually that too will change.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: Here is a personal testimony about kavadi I found interesting. http://murugan.org/bhaktas/peco.htm It may help some unfamiliar with the ritual to come to a greater understanding.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind

Thank you for this reminder of what is the true nature of penance, and also this inspiring link.

Actually, I have spent many happy hours relishing the Murugan Bhakti sites (they all interlink with each other on the net) and Murugan.org is one of the main ones with so many other interlinks such as http:\\Annadanam.org and others. I love reading about the Saints from the past, present, and those young lads such as this Brazillian who are likely future saints.

It could not have come at a better time, for though I have not committed any "sin" (neither stealing, lust, hurting, nor killing nor lies and all those stupid and evil things people do), I am feeling so guilty as if I have betrayed the Devas and Devi. So while it is not penance as is the brave hearts as this lad and his kavadi devotions, I have decided that I will ask Devi to forgive me or to fill my heart with Her communion and I will do a penance tomorrow by keeping my eyes closed for 2 hours and then when opening them I will look at the picture of Her son Muruga. I do not deserve to see anything for 2 hours unless it is Divine. This is not much of a penance, I know that. In fact it sounds childish, and in fact it is, it goes back to the days I recall when I was a youth, purposely covering my eyes with a kerchief for an hour and only thinking of the Devas. It was sort of a religious worship, albeit simple.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information