Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Should I learn Dvaita / Advaita / Vishitadvaita / etc

Why Should I learn Dvaita / Advaita / Vishitadvaita / etc

Namaste,

I know Raamaayana and Mahaabhaaratha. Thanks to DoorDarshan and Raajaji. I am learning Bhagavath Geetha (Gita Press) every day. Of late downloaded Hindi translations of both the epics which has the original Sanskrit text as well and started reading in my free time. Going by my available free time, I will be fully occupied with these scriptures at least for next two years.

I was introduced to Advaita through a HDF friend. Out of curiosity learnt the mere basics of Dvaita, Advaita, Vishitadvaita etc etc through internet articles.

With my basic knowledge I cannot make a concluding statement but I don't see any need to be even aware of these philosophies.

I make my living by writing software programs, but never bothered to know beyond my specialized area. I never felt handicapped by not knowing machine language.

Bhagavath Geetha is addressing all my spiritual questions. I know Shiva followers may not get connected to the epics or Geetha but still they will have Shiva specific scriptures.

So my question to the learned members of HDF is, why should any one learn these philosophies. What is the advantage of knowing these philosophies.

I might sound arrogant or ignorant, but I am puzzled with this question. Will these philosophies give me what Bhagavath Geetha cannot offer.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 28 February 2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Anirudh...

Re: Why Should I learn Dvaita / Advaita / Vishitadvaita / etc

Every person needs some philosophy to live by.

Knowledge is infinite. Why not expand your boundary of it to encompass as much as you can?

Plus, on learning about Advaita/Dvaita/VA, you enter into the sharpest minds of some of the greatest philosophical giants to have walked the ground of India. Knowledge is never an individual effort. We stand on the shoulder of giants and reach even higher.

We bow down in humility at the legacy that these masters have left for us. It would not have been easy for them - no electricity, no light after 6 PM, no pucca roads, no cure for dental cavities, etc. and yet these masters millenia ago did so much in so little time!

It is AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste,

I know Raamaayana and Mahaabhaaratha. Thanks to DoorDarshan and Raajaji. I am learning Bhagavath Geetha (Gita Press) every day. Of late downloaded Hindi translations of both the epics which has the original Sanskrit text as well and started reading in my free time. Going by my available free time, I will be fully occupied with these
    scriptures atleast for next two years.

I was introduced to Advaita through a HDF friend. Out of curiosity learnt the mere basics of Dvaita, Advaita, Vishitadvaita etc etc through internet articles.

With my basic knowledge I cannot make a concluding statement but I don't see any need to be even aware of these philosophies.

I make my living by writing software programs, but never bothered to know beyond my specialized area. I never felt handicapped by not knowing machine language.

Bhagavath Geetha is addressing all my spiritual questions. I know Shiva followers may not get connected to the epics or Geetha but still they will have Shiva specific scriptures.

So my question to the learned members of HDF is, why should any one learn these philosophies. What is the advantage of knowing these philosophies.

I might sound arrogant or ignorant, but I am puzzled with this question. Will these philosophies give me what Bhagavath Geetha cannot offer.
    Namaste,

As Wundermonk ji has said, you will need atleast one philosophy / path or way of life to live by.

for personal progress, you do not need to learn all faiths and systems like dvaita / advaita / VA, etc

According to your prakruti, you can either practice karma, bhakti or jnana. Though some part of all is needed, basic or predominant is one

Accordingly Gita has been interpreted in many ways from different POV - Dvaita Visistadvaita, advaita, etc.

AFAIK, Gita Press Commentary nad that by Swami Ramsukhdasji is a good one.

You can read everything intellectually, but you will practice only one, either karma, bhakti or Jnana.

In General, Jnana (advaita) is not for beginners and so few people practice it. Other systems are easier to adapt. I do not say, inferior or less potent, but easier to adapt.

If you read gita from Gita press, the commentary is mostly on Mool sloka and not on any bhasya (commentary) of acharya like ramanuja, shankaracharya. If it is than it will be clearly mentioned, mostly in title.

Read Gita, atleast 3 times. After that whatever questions come to you, will be according to your prakruti. I also suggest you to read it in mother tongue and not prefer english translation. Mother tongue is best that suits you, since God has given you birth in that family. Advaita is direct approach, which enquires into Brahman.

For personal progress one path is enough. In general if the commentaries by Sri Ramanuja or Sri Madhava do not appeal you or rather if commentary by Swami Ramsukhdasji or Goenka ji suits you, then stick to it.

Swami Ramsukhdas ji was a devotee of Raama and to m knowledge a very respected and uncontroversial saint. Same is with Goenka ji.

Some people like to serve, some like to song bhajans, while some like logical reasoning and pure mind will enquire directly into Brahman - Self Enquiry, some like to have scientific approach and like to master mind or like logical reasoning but are extrovert so Yog appeals them (shakti upasaka).

Whatever suits you is best for you. All paths are equally potent, but you should practice one path and must have a goal in life

Goal can be

1. Self Realization or moksha
    2. Have Divine vision of God and stay with him
    3. Be in Yog with paramatman

Even Selfless service can be very helpful.

Goal is a must as it gives a direction in life.

Initially you may not have spiritual goal in life, so keep reading gita and in due course, at a proper time, you will have one.

Aum
    Indiaspirituality
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

We only have a few means to practice spirituality in this material age. In olden days, where there was no TV and numerous saints were born in Bharat, people listened to satsangs and bhajans every evening. In our fast-paced life that is devoid of spirituality, our means of practicing it is limited to a few choices:

i) Formal worship
    ii) Festivals
    iii) Organize special poojas/satsangs
    iv) Read puranas/ithihasas
    v) Dwell in the minds of the masters who gave our way of living to us by reading all their works.

For me, it is number 5 the reason why I want to know about Vishishtadvaita, and possibly Advaita, Dvaita next. For one, it gives a sense of appreciating the divine in one way as one cannot all the time do poojas, and for another, it is appreciating the masters who gave us our religion/our way of life. It is akin to the curiosity that makes us all HDF members, we want to know about karma, god, our joys and setbacks in spiritual life.... and knowing the philosophies becomes 1 aspect of it.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Smile Re: Why Should I learn Dvaita / Advaita / Vishitadvaita / etc

Dhanyawaada Wondermonk ji, Indiaspirituality ji and Viraja ji for sharing your wisdom.

on learning about Advaita/Dvaita/VA, you enter into the sharpest minds of some of the greatest philosophical giants to have walked the ground of India. Knowledge is never an individual effort. We stand on the shoulder of giants and reach even higher.
    I am able to connect with this part of the explanation instantly. That answered my main question succinctly.

I am more inclined to read both the epics and Bhagavath Gita. I am keen on understanding the components ancient Bhaarath.

Read Gita, atleast 3 times. After that whatever questions come to you, will be according to your prakruti. I also suggest you to read it in mother tongue and not prefer english translation. Mother tongue is best that suits you, since God has given you birth in that family.
    Thanks for this great advice. For the time being I have started with English translation from Gita press. My Karma has imprisoned me these days, so can't pick up Hindi version at least for few months.

All paths are equally potent, but you should practice one path and must have a goal in life
    As a Vishnu lover, I guess will be attracted VA or Dvaita at a later stage. My goal is to take Sanaatana Dharma to the young kids.
    Anirudh...

Most Hindus either never heard of A/D/VA or have heard of them, but cannot articulate their significance. And they do not need to.

These philosophies are entirely about soteriology and that is not the concern of the common man. In fact, these philosophies were pretty much unavailable to the common man until after printing. Before then, it was reserved for Mumukshus who could only learn them from a teacher.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    These philosophies are entirely about soteriology and that is not the concern of the common man. In fact, these philosophies were pretty much unavailable to the common man until after printing. Before then, it was reserved for Mumukshus who could only learn them from a teacher.
    Namaste Shiv Somashekar,

Thanks for sharing your views. Since I am a beginner can't understand why you see them as soteriology. Kindly elaborate your views.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Shiv Somashekar,
    Thanks for sharing your views. Since I am a beginner can't understand why you see them as soteriology. Kindly elaborate your views.
    As philosophies, they are systems of Vedanta - which is all about the liberation of the soul.

From a religious perspective, a Dvaitin would belong to the Madhva Sampradaya, which involves being affiliated to any of the Madhva Mathas (Uttaradi, etc.), accepting Hari as the Supreme and other traditional Vaishnava practices, marrying among Madhvas, etc. Similarly Smarta Sampradayas (Sringeri, Kanci, etc.) exist for Advaitins and we have one or two for VDs (Melkote, etc.). Strictly speaking, this has nothing to do with the philosophy and one can be a Madhva without ever reading a single line of Madhvacharyas works. This difference is important to note as from a western perspective, philosophy is integral to Indian religion, but in truth that is almost never the case. The regular person is not interested in philosophy or matters of the soul and Mukti. He is more interested in worshipping God as part of his tradition and for material benefits. He will perform Pujas, visit temples, etc. The philosophy was mostly limited to Sanyasins and aged people in the past, though today with availability of books, it is more widely available.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Great question!

That Bhagavad Gita is useful in all walks of life and everyone has a positive take-away is being displayed in your post.

May I say that AD/VA/DV are in efforts to complete the sadhana in Gita? Vast majority of teachings of Gita is common for everyone. Will an Advaiti try to be attached to the fruits of actions, while a Dvaiti, not? Or does a VA say that arrogance is fine while the others ask to be humble? So..lot of commonalities in understanding, living and sadhana.

To me discussions in philosophies have got me closer to God and intensified my sadhana. It has made my mind meditate deep into the nature of the soul, God..it has promoted discipline, seriousness, introspection and respect.

For e.g., when we debate on the nature of Atma, irrespective of the differences, we have all meditated more on Atma. Therefore such readings and discussions promote focus on soul, God and their relationship.

And it makes us realize the true glory of Vedic wisdom that is just words for others.

namaste Anirudh
    You ask a very good question. I have struggled with this question for the last at least six years.

To be perfectly honest I don't think anyone needs or even should learn about these philosophies. Personallly they have confused the heck out of me and my simple brain. I think for a regular 'joe' learning about these philosophies is not necessary and in fact should be discouraged as they create confusion.

I think in the past they were taught to a 'qualified' student. Note the word 'qualified' i.e. before you even start you must have some qualification. I strongly believe that this was the right way to do things.

On the other hand I can see why these philosophies are now widely available and to a certain point perhaps that's also good but since we left the 'qualification' piece and forgot about it and thus any pappu and bunty can pick up a book and try to comprehend and interpret it depending on his own mental capacity they cause confusion instead of enhancing ones spiritual pursuits. Thus the problem you and I are facing.

That being said, I took on this as a personal a challenge kind of like if a person had no legs and wanted to run just for the challenge of it. In a similar way, I have simple mind but I do try to study different philosophies (including western) just for the challenge of it.

So to answer you question, you should only learn about these philosophies if you want a personal challenge. I don't think learning about them will enhance your spiritual pursuits in fact quite the opposite.

Namaste,

Last edited by satay; 28 February 2013 at 03:50 PM.
    satay

Thread Information