Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There is a need to respect and accept diverging views

Re: There is a need to respect and accept diverging views

namaste Singhi,

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    All these problems are related to vedanta which is a small miniscule portion of Hinduism with no real consequence except on religious politics.
    I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    satay

Pranam Devotee ji and all

Nature of Vak, unfortunately there is no pleasing all, however much the good intentions are, can be misconstrued.

It is nice to know Hindu in general do not get engaged in discussion or debate like we do here, instead are happy to carry on with their traditions as it has been over the years and long may it continue, without trading on each other foot.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

The only person that I can control is myself. I have to resolve to not to react to the reaction generated by my posts. Unless the self is under control, I cannot ask others to behave. And if the self is under control, there will be no conflict and no need to ask others to make resolutions, as nothing would bother me. So, the bottom line is, can I control myself or do I only want to preach others to be civil?

In the 2.5+ years that I have been posting here, I have seen it all - the so called "respected" members shamelessly getting down and dirty and indulging in mud wresting. And I have seen a few stellar devotees NEVER taking a bait and walking away from every unpleasant situation. My biggest disappointment is that sometimes when I try to deal with a troll, some of the members get on my case and try to shame me. These self righteous "godly" characters try to tell me how they grew up with muslims and Xitians and love them all and accept all the manure that they have to offer. Someone even accused me of being part of a pack (like a pack of dogs) for dealing with a troll. Others accuse me of creating too much negativity and leave the forum, only to return with a different User ID. Our self inflated sense of intellectual or scriptural/religious superiority gets the better of us. I wonder why does our spirituality/religiosity/intellect take leave of us when we need it the most? Why do we become irrational in the name of rationality? Why do we not reign in our horses, instead of asking others to close their barn doors?

I have to control myself to be peaceful. In this world of endless conflicts, I don't expect others to provide me with a peaceful atmosphere. It is the "I" that needs to be kept under lock and key.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 01 March 2013 at 10:56 AM.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

The only person that I can control is myself. Pranam.
    Well said, Believer. I believe you.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one. — Marcus Aurelius
    Last edited by satay; 01 March 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    satay

Originally Posted by Twilightdance
    All these problems are related to vedanta which is a small miniscule portion of Hinduism with no real consequence except on religious politics. Part of the reason is there has never been any living tradition of the upanishads for many many centuries till some acharyas formed their schools based on interpretation of upanishads, gita and brahma sutra. These schools effectively start with these acharyas or 1-2 generations before them and has no connection with the actual tradition that may have given rise to the older upanishads. They are as good as modern academic interpretation aliebit more old and inaccurate and unscientific. There is no need for rest of Hinduism which are based on living unbroken lineages to suffer from this political quibbling of a broken intellectual tradition. This is my opinion. Hinduism would be far better without this vedanta. Rest of Hinduism is based on living oral instructions or sruti [not a set of books] and is far more authentic than vedanta - and this is apparent when one looks at vedantins vis-a-vis siddhantins for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    Agree with most of it. It is mainly in the west that the role of Vedanta in hinduism has been blown out of proportion. The truth is, most Hindus never heard of Vedanta, nor would they care for it and yet westerners are mostly misled into thinking Vedanta forms the essence of Hinduism.

Also hard for people who have not lived in India to understand this.
    Of course it is obvious for the well informend, that even the older Upanishads and Vedanta in general, are an almost irrelevant aspect of Hinduism and the significance of the Muktika canon dwindles into void compared to the role the beliefs and norms of the Agamas, Tantras, Puranas, the Bhakti movement and other folkloristic beliefs have in the overall picture of Hinduism.
    It is also obvious that the preferences for Vedanta is based on the utter disgust the abrahamic rulers both islamic and the british raj harboured for the customs and ideals of the indian majority and their adherence to norms described in agamic and tantric shastras. It was only due to the sponsoring and interest of westerners and islamic foreign rulers, of what they consider the pure, more civilised and in their viewpoint an almost monotheistic aspect of the Hindu tradition, that Vedanta was supported and emphasized representing an acceptable tradition, while the beliefs and cultural norms of the majority of Hindus, dissenting from vedanta, were ruthlessly attacked as immoral and perverted pagan idolatry, marginalised and many practises even forbidden, a famous example is Bharat natyam, by the then political elites. Only it is a waste of time to mention any of this in the community that has developed in HDF because you will only be used for target practise.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 01 March 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Of course it is obvious that even the older Upanishads and Vedanta is an almost irrelevant tiny aspect of Hinduism and the significance of the Muktika canon dwindles into void compared to the role the beliefs and norms of the Agamas, Tantras, Puranas, the Bhakti movement and other folkloristic beliefs have in the overall picture of Hinduism.
    Exactly.

From past experience, it is almost impossible telling this to western Hindus, who derive the bulk of their knowledge of Hinduism from books and have a very different picture of Hinduism than its actual form in India. They are unable to comprehend the idea that most of Hinduism is not based on scripture and is instead a tradition - a form that has not been captured into books by scholars, Vivekananda et al. In all fairness, I would not accept anything myself without evidence and in this case, what evidence can I offer other than asking them to travel across India and observe for themselves?
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

I think that putting people on ignore and/or backing away from a particular thread have been sanity savers, at least for me. As my husband says, "No one wins an argument on the internet."

The frustration isn't worth it because trolls can hide behind the internet and they never actually have to deal with you. Meanwhile, you sit there turning red. The only one who suffers is the self.

I'm not saying it's easy - but if you rob someone of their primary source of entertainment - namely, your anger - they'll stop trying to harass you. Or if they continue, they make themselves look foolish without a word from you. Let people dig their own grave if they want to.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Only it is a waste of time to mention any of this in the community that has developed in HDF because you will only be used for target practise.
    Not trying to pick on you Maha, because you bring out some valid points; but the above concluding comment is a classic example of duplicity. On the one hand the sharpest arrow out of the quiver is used to shoot at the entire "HDF community", while at the same time "the community" is blamed for the inducement it caused for the archer to shoot the arrow. If I had not spent my whole professional life being an analytical type of person in my trade, I would have never caught the complexity of this comment.

Oh what intricate webs we weave, with the delicately thin yarn we spew out of our mouths!
    Lord have mercy on me!

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 01 March 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Namaste,

Not trying to pick on you Maha, because you bring out some valid points; but the above concluding comment is a classic example of duplicity. On the one hand the sharpest arrow out of the quiver is used to shoot at the entire "HDF community", while at the same time "the community" is blamed for the inducement it caused for the archer to shoot the arrow. If I had not spent my whole professional life being an analytical type of person in my trade, I would have never caught the complexity of this comment.

Oh what intricate webs we weave, with the delicately thin yarn we spew out of our mouths!
    Lord have mercy on me!

Pranam.
    ouch that hurt.

next one please.

Namaste,

The only person that I can control is myself. I have to resolve to not to react to the reaction generated by my posts. Unless the self is under control, I cannot ask others to behave. And if the self is under control, there will be no conflict and no need to ask others to make resolutions, as nothing would bother me. So, the bottom line is, can I control myself or do I only want to preach others to be civil?

In the 2.5+ years that I have been posting here, I have seen it all - the so called "respected" members shamelessly getting down and dirty and indulging in mud wresting. And I have seen a few stellar devotees NEVER taking a bait and walking away from every unpleasant situation. My biggest disappointment is that sometimes when I try to deal with a troll, some of the members get on my case and try to shame me. These self righteous "godly" characters try to tell me how they grew up with muslims and Xitians and love them all and accept all the manure that they have to offer. Someone even accused me of being part of a pack (like a pack of dogs) for dealing with a troll. Others accuse me of creating too much negativity and leave the forum, only to return with a different User ID. Our self inflated sense of intellectual or scriptural/religious superiority gets the better of us. I wonder why does our spirituality/religiosity/intellect take leave of us when we need it the most? Why do we become irrational in the name of rationality? Why do we not reign in our horses, instead of asking others to close their barn doors?

I have to control myself to be peaceful. In this world of endless conflicts, I don't expect others to provide me with a peaceful atmosphere. It is the "I" that needs to be kept under lock and key.

Pranam.
    +2 fully agree attaboy. Well said.

Spirituality is no place of 'I'

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information