Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Neo-Hinduism and Traditional Hinduism

Re: Neo-Hinduism and Traditional Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Not necessarily, but putting written scriptures on a pedestal, without thinking twice, as if a holy book similarly to the likes of the Quran or Bible is containing absolute truth, instead of the oral instructions and traditions
    ... is a typical Neo-Hindu argument, since Neo-Hindus don't like people upholding the primacy of any set of scriptures.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    In any case, the topic is how a traditional Hindu would take these. Many did believe lots to be literal. Believing in the literal aspect of the scripture doesn't make one Neo.
    Quite correct. In fact, a Neo-Hindu would be more likely to denounce these as quaint mythology intended for spiritually undeveloped minds, just as Swami Vivekananda did for icon worship.

Remember, the Neo-Hindu is very anxious to make sure that his version of "Hinduism" is well-respected in Western, rationalist circles. Thus, the Neo will argue that Hindu creation stories are compatible with macroevolutionary theory, that dashavataras represent evolution of man from animals, that Hinduism upholds the "Big Bang Theory," and so on. Often, these are people are are familiar neither with the scriptures nor with the scientific theories with which they are alleging compatibility.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    Jignyasu,
    I am unable to understand some of your arguments and hence, am unable to respond to them.
    Just edited my post...maybe that will help?

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    ... is a typical Neo-Hindu argument, since Neo-Hindus don't like people upholding the primacy of any set of scriptures.
    We actually find both arguments misused by neos, for instance Manus Smriti was dug up and promoted and propagated and pushed by the british and their vedantic sepoys and instituted as a law book with relevance for all India during their rule, because they did not want to cope with the variety of different laws, rules, sects and diverse regulations in all the different regions, but wanted one law and one religion to simplify their rule. To establish one law for all and one holy book for all all over India was a western colonial power game, that was the reason for sponsoring and promoting vedanta above other traditions it was the most convinient way to mould hinduism in the likeness of abrahamic traditions, and a sanitized version of vedanta was sponsored to do just that, establishing vedas and Upanishads as a holy book just like the Bible, should help replace the 'barbaric' practices of other sects, and using the literate and anglophil, and in their viewpoint the more civilized brahmin community for these purposes, was an ideal choice.

We actually find both arguments misused by neos, for instance Manus Smriti was dug up and promoted and propagated and pushed by the british and their vedantic sepoys and instituted as a law book with relevance for all India during their rule, because they did not want to cope with the variety of different laws, rules, sects and diverse regulations in all the differnent regions, but wanted one law and one religion to simplify their rule. To establish one law for all and one holy book for all all over India was a western colonial power game, that was the reason for sponsoring and promoting vedanta above other traditions it was the most convinient way to mould hinduism in the likeness of abrahmanic traditions, and vedanta, vedas and Upanishads and using the literate and anglophil, and in their viewpoint the more civilized brahmin community, was the ideal candidate for that.
    That may be true regarding the British, but the discussion here is about Neo-Hinduism versus traditional Hinduism. Traditional Hindus did have different dharma-shAstras, but they had the same Veda. Neo-Hindus are more likely to downplay the authority of dharma-shAstras while only giving lip-service to the authority of the Veda, as they tend to claim that "Hindus have no rules or regulations" or that Hindus can decide for themselves what they want to follow. Both viewpoints are easily discernable as false with even a casual study of the canonical Hindu literature.
    Philosoraptor

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    i am not surprzed if my point score is annoying you.
    I do not care for your point score. You failed to understand the import of my post. It does not matter.

I am far too controlled on the "acharyas" in this forum, in other places where members are insiders and practionersnif either family or real traditions of mantravada, they get treated much less kindly. You need to understand hinduism doesnt start and end with them and constant blown out of proportion importance they receive here seems like infraction on hinduism discussion to me.
    What delightful company that must be - a bunch of "real" Hindus/practitioners united in their hatred for the "acharyas". Where do you guys meet?

BTW...do you consider yourself Hindu? Are you a traditional one or a neo one? If neither, why do you post on HDF?

That may be true regarding the British, but the discussion here is about Neo-Hinduism versus traditional Hinduism. Traditional Hindus did have different dharma-shAstras, but they had the same Veda. Neo-Hindus are more likely to downplay the authority of dharma-shAstras while only giving lip-service to the authority of the Veda, as they tend to claim that "Hindus have no rules or regulations" or that Hindus can decide for themselves what they want to follow. Both viewpoints are easily discernable as false with even a casual study of the canonical Hindu literature.
    Yes i agree with you, as i do with most of what you write, just there is always a tiny but..... because.... people like Ramakrishna and Vivekananda and others like the founder of Brahmo samaj, Ram Mohan Roy, are Neo hindus that were sponsored and promoted also by huge grants of money from the west, just to civilize and sanitize Hinduism with their compromised version of vedanta and tantra. Tantra i mention here because apparently Ram Mohan Roy was behind the propagation of the forged Maha Nirvana Tantra which is injected with lots of elements of hidden british agenda, so it is very relevant that the british raj and their vedantic friends, gave rise to a variety of Neo Hinduism many Hindus on this forum embrace.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 07 March 2013 at 12:50 PM.

It is fair to say that both traditional Hindus and Neo-Hindus object to many Indology theories. I have also noticed that some indologists like some traditional Hindu groups, and some indologists like some Neo-Hindu groups. Koenrad Elst, from my past discussions with him, seems to be quite enchanted with neo-advaita, yet is opposed to the idea of unauthoredness of shruti. Subramaniam Swamy, although an advocate for Hinduism, does not believe in hereditary varNAshrama and even claimed in a lecture I attended that it was never about birth. Many Neo-Hindus accept apaurusheyatva
    I agree that these people do not hold traditional Hindu views, the reason I mentioned them is that the indological bureaucrats did not allow for them to hold pro Hindu political views and maintain their academic jobs or association in indology circles which goes to show how censored western indology is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I agree that these people do not hold traditional Hindu views, the reason I mentioned them is that the indological bureaucrats did not allow for them to hold pro Hindu political views and maintain their academic jobs or association in indology circles which goes to show how censored western indology is.
    This is nonsense, these people have problems because plain and simple they are Nutjobs that are known to be constantly harressing innocent people.

This is nonsense, these people have problems because plain and simple they are Nutjobs that are known to be constantly harressing innocent people.
    Like I said before, Dr Swamy was removed from his academic position, because of his political viewpoint regarding Islamic terrorism and Dr Elst was removed from the RISA list for disagreeing with Indology bureaucrats. The only nutjob harassing innocent people is you.

Thread Information