Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YOUR opinion on The Gods?

Re: YOUR opinion on The Gods?

Namaste Spirit Seeker

I think I understand your question, and while within the realm of possibilities there are other Devatas (Gods if you will) that are not familiar to me that are "foreign" (is that even the right word?), perhaps the only way I can explain my experience is with emphasis on the word experience itself. For me, I didn't go about one day saying, "Hey! I think I'm going to go out and dig up some God". I didn't "invite" the Family of Devas and Devi, in particular the Saiva tradition thereof, rather I suddenly experienced this Family. The First One was Ganesha, I was 8 years old at that time. So it was more like I was invited, not me inviting Them. Very soon, it became obvious that the Family was larger, and there was the stunning experience of Shiva and Parvati, Whom I call Mahadeva or The Great God, and by such I quickly started to use the term The Great Goddess for Parvati. The Family quickly expanded, Muruga, then Hinduism really came into full view, naturally you suddenly start finding other Hindus all around you. Why this happened is both a mystery, but also so obvious. Devotees suddenly came from every direction, I had a rich life and experience with their associations. I am not going to speak of everything, because some of it is private to non-Hindus, but it was incredible. Not every journey is the same from one to the next. But mine was so simple, everything was just, literally, handed to me. When I would wake up in the morning, well let me just put it this way - it was like waking up in paradise. Each day was both long and short, full of color, full of adventure, moving all around. While each one has their own way, I sort of had no way, it was just so easily given, and frankly fun. And for some reason, there was an openess - all sorts and every type of experiencing Hindu be it Saiva, Vaishnav or Shakta, not only stepped right in front of me, but those who did for whatever reason wanted to be my friend and I wanted to be theirs, too. You cannot avoid some things, when it pervasively is all around you, as was for example the Ramayana. The experience of Hanuman came. He is now my Ishta Lord. The Family grew larger.

I will leave it at that. Some things are only between devotees, not for a forum.

You will find all sorts of what is called Hindus on this forum. But association, direct association, with devotees who have real names and faces is more important then nameless avatars on a forum. Your answer to your question is, you must experience it. No amount of quotes by nameless members of sacred texts, can give you All the answer, far from it even though you find wonders still under a book or next to "there". Doors open everywhere, for some a forum may be the first door, they may have just walked into that door for reasons they don't understand. But you will meet with those who want to meet with you first, this is very common for many. The answer to your question is, I don't have to check into other Gods if you will. And from this point forward, in this life, Whatever "Gods" that I met on the way, they will all be part of this Family.

Today I think of Mother Annapurna. She lives in Kashi. Kashi is the Eternal City, Never Forsaken by Lord Shiva.

Om Namah Sivaya

I've never thought about it. I would'nt have any serious objection to anyone identifying hindu deities with pagan european deities. If we do really beleive in the devas, it is logical that they be active in other countries too.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Hello Seeker,

To answer your question, I have always thought that most people regardless of where they come from, (assuming they believe in a God/universal consciousness), are all looking for the same thing, they just happen to attach themselves to whatever their culture makes available to them. So yes, I think that the European pagan deities (or Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Native American deities etc) are a manifestation of the one truth. Now, depending on what a culture considers truth varies considerably, but the images and ideas about God serve the same purpose for the hearts, minds and souls of their believers.

I believe God makes his/her/itself known to each individual in a form that they will most ready recognize and connect to. The Truth wants to be found recognized and experienced - to be whole.

But experience shows that culture isn't the only thing that dictates one's idea of God. After all, if it were, I would still be devoted to Christ, being born in a culture that is predominantly Christian.

To expand on that, why does Devi speak to me, and not Thor? Why not Zeus, or Ra, or Brigid? I certainly take no issue with those deities, but they also don't "speak" to me. I think one's relationship with the divine is a highly personal matter. Everyone relates to God differently. That isn't to say every one has a healthy relationship, be it's something that evolves over a long period of time, and that we hope one day leads to enlightenment for all who are truly seeking it.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

The gods are mortal beings who have attained their celestial abodes and powers through good karma and spiritual insight. As such, they can rise and fall depending on their current actions.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane-Foot King View Post
    The gods are mortal beings who have attained their celestial abodes and powers through good karma and spiritual insight. As such, they can rise and fall depending on their current actions.
    Is that the Hindu POV? If so then references to the scriptures and the appropriate verses thereof might be helpful. If however it is a personal opinion, it should be stated as such.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Crane-Foot King View Post
    That depend on which gods we are talking about. There is a class of devas that has obtained their status through good karma, but most certainly not all gods fall in this category.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 07:42 PM.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 07:42 PM.

My personal insight on this came as Ganesha entered my heart for the first time, I saw him all around me, within me, outside me, in 5 dimensions if that makes sense, he spoke to me without words, and then, i knew, in that moment i knew.

That there is not but one god, but that we all are part of one god, from me to Ganesha himself, from an ant to a star, from Allah even to jah.

I knew, in that moment, my death meant nothing, but my purpose of life became more distorted, as in why am i here if my purpose is elsewhere? in ascension.

For all those reasons, i crave to experience a simaler thing in the future, and gain further insight to myself and the universe.
    The one thing i know for definite now, is i am part of one, as are we all.

only my opinion i know, but thought i'd share.

and just for the record, until i had that moment of insight, i hated, detested any form o religion, or worship. (reasons are deeper for that and needless in this conversation)
    We're the same, You and I.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 07:46 PM.

Thread Information