Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining Hindu

Re: Defining Hindu

namaste,

In the book 'Vedic Culture' by Swami Mahadevananda Giri, published in 1947 by University of Calcutta, the author describes in detail the Vedic Culture and civilization. In chapter XIII, Ancient and Modern Theories about the knowledge of the supreme spirit or the Atman, on page 403, there is detailed explanation of the term 'Vaidik Darsana'. This is the term I believe that was used in those times to describe us.

We belonged to the Vaidik Dharma, our Vedas told us about way of life and this philosophy was called 'Vaidik Darsana'.

I have a scanned copy of the book from Central Archaeological Library, Government of India, Call No. 901.0934/Mah

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    None of the prominent, well known ancient Indian texts describes a common Hindu religion.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,

We belonged to the Vaidik Dharma, our Vedas told us about way of life and this philosophy was called 'Vaidik Darsana'.
    The problem is that modern Hinduism is not at all vedic, vedic religion had no murtis, vedic religions had no temples, vedic religion had no upachara offerings solely offerings in the fire, it had a very different philosophy, for instance no belief in rebirth and samsara and so on and so forth, so the majority of practises and philosophy of Hinduism is of non-vedic origin.

Like i wrote before in another thread frits staal researched the remnants of the original vedic religion in kerala, his books are a good resource

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Ve...pd_sim_sbs_b_2
    http://www.amazon.com/Agni-Vedic-Rit.../dp/8120816609

excerpts from a movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R130ogJ4JqI

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Accuse me of whatever you wish, but it is first of all my viewpoint, if western indologists agree with it so much the better, i have no qualms with the academia.

At least it is consistent with my attitude, while to cherry pick, and recommend to study smear attacks on indologists, written by a close disciple and public defender of a notorious neo hindu and sex-offender, Swami Nithyananda, Rajiv Malhotra, in support of your so called traditionalist viewpoint feels somehow inconsistent.
    I can't help but notice, that when someone points out inconsistencies in your views, you tend to default back to crying foul about attacks other people made in other places, as if this is somehow relevant here. Can I take it as a given that you will not explain why you dislike Neo-Hindus being funded by Western interests, but approve of Western Indologists being funded by Western interests?
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I can't help but notice, that when someone points out inconsistencies in your views, you tend to default back to crying foul about attacks other people made in other places, as if this is somehow relevant here. Can I take it as a given that you will not explain why you dislike Neo-Hindus being funded by Western interests, but approve of Western Indologists being funded by Western interests?
    There is a difference betwen a colonial power trying to rule over a country and academics that are mereley interested in researching a subject.

The problem is that modern Hinduism is not at all vedic, vedic religion had no murtis, vedic religions had no temples, vedic religion had no upachara offerings solely offerings in the fire, it had a very different philosophy, for instance no belief in rebirth and samsara and so on and so forth, so the majority of practises and philosophy of Hinduism is of non-vedic origin.
    And yet, the shruti does authenticate the purANa and itihAsa (from which a lot of these practices are discussed) as having the same non-divine origin and as "fifth veda," in several places.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

There is a difference betwen a colonial power trying to rule over a country and academics that are mereley interested in researching a subject.
    Really? Would you care to elaborate on the difference, especially given that it was that very colonial power which was trying to rule over the country which funded the "objective" academics whose theories you hold so dear?
    Philosoraptor

And yet, the shruti does authenticate the purANa and itihAsa (from which a lot of these practices are discussed) as having the same non-divine origin and as "fifth veda," in several places.
    Certainly this assimilation is exactly what makes Hinduism a syncretic religion.

Really? Would you care to elaborate on the difference, especially given that it was that very colonial power which was trying to rule over the country which funded the "objective" academics whose theories you hold so dear?
    You promised me to execute some self control in the future and not again derail a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,

In the book 'Vedic Culture' by Swami Mahadevananda Giri, published in 1947 by University of Calcutta, the author describes in detail the Vedic Culture and civilization. In chapter XIII, Ancient and Modern Theories about the knowledge of the supreme spirit or the Atman, on page 403, there is detailed explanation of the term 'Vaidik Darsana'. This is the term I believe that was used in those times to describe us.

I have a scanned copy of the book from Central Archaeological Library, Government of India, Call No. 901.0934/Mah
    Thank you.

The problem here is, the Vaidika Dharma was just *a* Dharma among many and not the only one. Please check the list of beliefs I posted earlier from the 7th century AD. Al Beruni (10th Century CE) clearly differentiates beween educated Hindus (Brahmanas) and common Hindus and notes wide differences among their beliefs.

Can you demonstrate that prior to the 14th century CE, someone took this varied set of beliefs and collapsed them into one Vaidika Dharma? If not, by saying Vaidika Dharma = Hindu, we are leaving out all those other groups, which would be incorrect.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

However, it has also been mostly accepted (by traditional and contemporary scholars) that Puranas and Itihasa have undergone heavy revision and their form during the days of the Chandogya would have been very different. Madhva dismissed the entire Ramayana as a fake, the Mbh admits its own evolution over time, Purana quotes from early grhya sutras are not traceable in present versions, etc.

Does anyone take the position that idol worship is explicitly endorsed in Shruti? I would be interested to know more on this.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Thread Information