Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axes to grind

Axes to grind

Greetings folks,

How many of you use HDF as an avenue to grind some ax or the other you have against other Hindu POVs?

How many of you who grind such axes identify yourselves as Hindus?

What is the key purpose, you think, of HDF?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Axes to grind

I think HDF is a great place to appreciate Hinduism. I find these days that some type of 'groupism' (sorry I coined this phrase to indicate separatist mentality) is formed, people start taking to a personal dislike or like of some others... this is too juevinile. We should all come to praise all Hindu gods, sometimes sing bhajans, sometimes listen to katha, reflections on god (from a neutral perspective) as offered by vedas/ithihasas, reflect on Hinduism's current state, glorify worthy Indians all around the globe, etc..
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: If I come here to sharpen something, it's Murugan's piercing vel within me, the veil of ignorance.

But yeah, some days it seems there are axes to grind. Its all a dance. If what you suggest is truly the case, the axe-grinders are unlikely to be able to see it within themselves though, so asking them directly is probably a futile exercise.

Aum Namasivaya

Axes are so barbarian. I prefer to decapitate my opponents with light sabers. A more civilized weapon, for a more civilized time.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Pranam

Tongue is sharper then any axe we may wish to wield.

Jai Parshuram
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Axes are so barbarian. I prefer to decapitate my opponents with light sabers. A more civilized weapon, for a more civilized time.
    You are such a neo-warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    You are such a neo-warrior.
    Ahem. That's "Master Jedi Neo-Warrior" to you.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste.

I realise my opinion doesn't matter (and other opinions shouldn't either), but I have seen many locked threads lately, all quabbling over 'what it means to be Hindu' and such.

I am not Hindu, even though I love and worship Lord Shiva. I don't pigeonhole myself anywhere and I don't consider myself as 'belonging' to any religion.

If one is faithful and steadfast in their own devotional practice, they are tolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others.

All those who visit these forums with 'axes to grind' or who are interested in Jalpa and are generally disagreeable, are all spiritual fakes...yes, fakes!

Those happy to remain in their own ignorance should be ignored themselves as it's impossible to debate with them or change their views (even IF one is insecure enough to wish to even attempt that).

Everything else should be reported to a moderator.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

To me the purpose of HDF is to discuss various aspects of Hinduism and to promote awareness of our great religion/culture/traditions among fellow Hindus. When self confessed non-Hindus in the forum start giving out advice based on their personal preferences, personal dietary habits etc., it becomes mildly annoying. This is not a secular public forum; but a Hindu private forum, where moderators control the intent and content of the posts. I sure hope bringing this forth is not construed as 'grinding' any personal axes. I eat eggs, or I eat meat, or I am lecto, or I shake my Kundalini sideways everyday, or I walk backwards 5 miles a day; and therefore you should do it too is all nonsense. If it has nothing to with Hinduism or Hindu way of life, it falls in the category of 'what I do/like'. To call Hindus 'intolerant of other beliefs' and 'fakes' in a Hindu forum should be cause for banishment. There is only so much garbage one should be allowed to dump in this forum without consequences. People with health/emotional/financial/jumping Kundalini issues should consult an appropriate expert, instead of bringing their baggage here.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer: I understand what you are saying, yet at the same time feel it is our duty to gently answer the legitimate questions of those who come here to learn. Of course recent converts are often the most enthusiastic in sharing their experiences, just as you and I share our travel experiences. So for me, its a 'wait and see' approach. I welcome all and every newcomer until they prove ulterior motives, such as shaking up traditions, or attempts to convert.

Coming from the west, knowing that subconscious as I once had it, some of the questions will seem incredibly naive. Like my cousin I mentioned from before: "You're not going swimming in THAT river, are you?" You have to start somewhere with these folk, and HDF can serve that purpose too, don't you think? We are, after all, members of humanity too. If we can give a fundamentalist Abrahamic just a thought that Hinduism is a legitimate religion, then we should. Small steps lead to big steps. But I guess that's why we have the 'new to Hinduism' section.

Certainly there are some members I can't dialogue with because they are right and I am wrong. But fortunately I have the willpower to hold back. (usually)

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information