Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axes to grind

Re: Axes to grind

namaste,
    As the mod I have to observe a lot of what goes on here. Sometimes I give people enough rope so that they can hang themselves in front of everyone. Hang their head in shame that is, not literally. However, some people just don't get the point and then I am left with no choice but to ban them.

I agree with EM but the kundalini questions or comments like, "I read the Gita and I read the upanishads and now I want to read the Vedas" just simply turn me off and I say to myself, "reallly? get real."
    Last edited by satay; 12 March 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I agree with EM but the kundalini questions or comments like, "I read the Gita and I read the upanishads and now I want to read the Vedas" just simply turn me off and I say to myself, "reallly? get real."
    Vannakkam: Yeah, I have my limits too. Annoying describes it well.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post

I am not Hindu, even though I love and worship Lord Shiva.
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam: Sounds pretty Hindu to me. I don't know of any other religions or faiths that worship Lord Siva. But you are not alone in this stance. In the end, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves, but rather how we behave that counts.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I don't know of any other religions or faiths that worship Lord Siva. But you are not alone in this stance. In the end, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves, but rather how we behave that counts.
    I agree with most of what Satay and you have said. I don't mind that people don't want or care to label themselves as Hindus, even when they adopt certain aspects of it like worshiping a Hindu deity or liking the culture/food etc. But coming out repeatedly with statements like, 'I am not Hindu' is like 'in your face'. If you are not Hindu and want to partake in the conversations, it should be on 'don't ask don't tell basis'. What purpose does it serve to dish out non-Hindu advice to others, which ultimately leads to acrimonious debates and insults being hurled around. I am all for accommodating each and every visitor to the forum for as long as possible. But, it is the belligerent behavior which ticks me off. Phew, I feel so much lighter with this load off my chest.

Pranam.

Namaste all,

I think people reveal their true selves on the forum, given enough time. I think that new comers who are maybe naive, but enthusiastic/ passionate should be offered a little more patience. No one can expect a newcomer to a vast faith like Hinduism to posses even one drop of the knowledge they need to understand it fully. If they are offering advice here and there, or spouting information that is incorrect or misguided, I think it's only fair to gently talk them down, correct them and see how they handle that.

A lot of people don't like being corrected but if they are sincere in their search for truth they will take it gracefully and even thank those that have offered advice. If not, it will be easy to tell because they will get defensive and argumentative.

I do think there are times when new-comers to the forum are "jumped on" by other members and I think that's an instant turn off. What is the point of searching for answers when the mere act of asking causes a firestorm of disdain?

It's wonderful to have so many wise and well educated senior forum members to advise, inform and correct, but I think it's important not to forget that we are at all stages/levels of spiritual growth. One has to start somewhere.

Now, anyone who asks an intentionally antagonistic question, or promotes ideas that are completely unrelated to the forum's purpose I think are best dealt with by ignoring them. If no one responds, we avoid an unnecessarily string of arguments that only serves to bring the morale of the whole forum down.

I also have to agree that for the most part, traumatic personal/life events should be left to the professionals and not brought to a forum. It's not that no one cares or has no compassion, but we're not professionals, and even if we were, do you really want advice from faceless strangers on the internet for such important events?

Now if you have a personal trouble directly related to your faith, I have no problem with that. But to be honest, when posts are made about deeply personal problems (financial, relationships, medical problems) it ends up looking like a cry for attention. There are many other much more productive ways of getting help/advice.

I'm glad this has become a topic of discussion. I think it's important to air grievances in an organized way.

Shanti
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

To me the purpose of HDF is to discuss various aspects of Hinduism and to promote awareness of our great religion/culture/traditions among fellow Hindus. When self confessed non-Hindus in the forum start giving out advice based on their personal preferences, personal dietary habits etc., it becomes mildly annoying. This is not a secular public forum; but a Hindu private forum, where moderators control the intent and content of the posts. I sure hope bringing this forth is not construed as 'grinding' any personal axes. I eat eggs, or I eat meat, or I am lecto, or I shake my Kundalini sideways everyday, or I walk backwards 5 miles a day; and therefore you should do it too is all nonsense. If it has nothing to with Hinduism or Hindu way of life, it falls in the category of 'what I do/like'. To call Hindus 'intolerant of other beliefs' and 'fakes' in a Hindu forum should be cause for banishment. There is only so much garbage one should be allowed to dump in this forum without consequences. People with health/emotional/financial/jumping Kundalini issues should consult an appropriate expert, instead of bringing their baggage here.

Pranam.
    Namaste.

You like to take me to task over everything I post, don't you?

I suggest you place me on your ignore list if what I say bothers you so much, as I am not going to change.

I have done as much for your posts as of now. If you feel that I should be banned, maybe that's a matter to be taken up with the Administrators on here and not continually whine openly about it, no?

Aum Namah Shivaya

namaste Necro,
    I don't see believer mention your name in his post. Why are you lashing out at him? Care to shed some light on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

You like to take me to task over everything I post, don't you?
    satay

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

in the end it really doesn't matter... only be concerned what occurs between your two ears.

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste Necro,
    I don't see believer mention your name in his post. Why are you lashing out at him? Care to shed some light on that?
    Namaste.

Of course I can, however the obvious inference should be illuminating enough.

If you can find any other member who has posted recently who said they are:
    self confessed non-Hindus
    or who have said:
    I eat eggs, or I eat meat
    or who even stated:
    To call Hindus 'intolerant of other beliefs' and 'fakes' in a Hindu forum should be cause for banishment
    (which I never said that Hindus were, only argumentative and disagreeable people were) and other references to other posts I have made without even having the need to mention my name...

Then, I shall apologise to whomever concerned and never raise the issue again.

However, seeing as how I am replying to this myself, when I should be doing other things...like my Sadhana....I shall go and do that and leave the arguers and 'hair splitters' to do that.

I am not that naive, Satay. Really!

in the end it really doesn't matter... only be concerned what occurs between your two ears.
    Agreed.

Aum Namah Shivaya

EM’a approach was very much mature towards Necro’s ” I love Shiva but Iam not Hindu '’ statement, with his rebuttal,’ who else can worship Shiva other than a hindu’. All because, as we all can see, the poster wasn’t
    anti- hindu after all.

New posters should be given some leeway, at least in the beginning. Paranoia arising from bad past experience (with some new comers) is though justified, everyone should be treated ‘not guilty’ until proven otherwise. So let the newbies settle down here first, or else the onlookers would judge the forum and by extension Hinduism as intolerant towards constructive criticism. Namaste.

Thread Information