Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importance of Dasavataar

Importance of Dasavataar

The ten incarnation (Dasavataar) of Sreeman Naaraayan has more significance and acceptance amongst the common public. Can any tell the me reason behind this.
    Anirudh...

Re: Importance of Dasavataar

Just a few ideas from my point of view:

1. Dasavatara gives dignity even to animals with god being of a blend of human and animal forms.

2. Dasavatara gives importance to the fact that humans are possessed of animal nature in them. Thus god took avatara with a blend of human and animal so that when humans pray to him, their respective animal instincts can be gotten rid of.

I'm sure there are many more, just that I cannot hold within such a limited capacity for knowledge that I do possess.

All glory to the Dasavataras!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    The ten incarnation (Dasavataar) of Sreeman Naaraayan has more significance and acceptance amongst the common public. Can any tell the me reason behind this.
    If you are asking why some poets selected these 10, when the Lord has many more avatAras, then I'm not sure I can say. gauDIya vaiShNava-s say that these 10 are special "lIlAvatAra-s," bu they follow jayadeva's list which includes buddha. The list followed by shrI vaiShNava-s is, I believe, from vedAnta deshika, and this one has balarAma instead of buddha. I can only assume that the the LILA of these forms of the Lord was particularly captivating to these bhaktas.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Dhanyawaada Viraja ji and Philosoraptor ji,

Acceptance of Buddha as one of the Dasavataar is widely seen amongst Bihar public. I guess its because Buddhism got patronage from the rulers of the ancient Bihar kingdom.

In southern states, Bala Raama replaces Buddha. I don't know the tradition followed by TTD (Thirumala Thirupathi Devastaanam) but they seem to consider Balarama instead of Buddha.

Another popular belief that I learnt from the Satsungh (especially from the south) is that these chosen Avtaars depict Human evolution.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Another popular belief that I learnt from the Satsungh (especially from the south) is that these chosen Avtaars depict Human evolution.
    I can tell you for a fact that this is incorrect. First of all, purANic paradigms of time are cyclical. The dashAvatAras are not strictly arranged in chronologic order. For example (according to my notes based on the bhAgavata purANa), varAha-avatAra actually appears twice, the first time being in svAyambhuva-manvantara which follows the previous appearance of matsya-avatAra at the end of the previous kalpa. Then, much later in chakshusha manvatara we get another appearance of varAha, then kUrma-avatAra, and then vAmana-avatAra appears in vaivasvata-manvantara. But above and beyond this, it makes no sense to suggest that it represents human evolution, because nArAyaNa isn't human, and even when He appears as an animal, He is fully transcendental to tamas and the other guNas.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Dhanyawaada Philosoraptor,

Your clarification shows how Sanaatana Dharma has been distorted.

Don't you think it will be a monumental task for any group to understand it in totality and to weed out the distortion even if they spend their entire life time.

Yes, I am moving away from my original question. Leave alone the entire umbrella of Sanaatana Dharma, I don't know even 1% of Vaishnava sect. That makes me wonder whether am I really a Hindu and following unadulterated Hinduism?

Another question. what should be the age of Vedic religion considering the different branches of Science it covers. I don't think these findings wouldn't have happened in few thousand years.

For eg: We had pushpaka vimaana, had found ways to build bridges across ocean. We had developed weapons like Bhramaasthra. The list seems to be endless.

And the last question:
    Raamaayana and Mahaabhaaratha seem to have recorded incidents which explains our intellectual and scientific excellence. Isn't a conscious and calculated effort to undermine our excellence by naming them as mere epics?

I ll post more as and when I get more questions while reading Mahaabhaaratha and Raamaayana.
    Anirudh...

And Dashavatar teaches Darwin's theory of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Here we go again.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Perhaps we could collect references to avatars in the vedas here?
    Eg.-

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post

** VAsudev KRshNa (Taittariya AraNyak 19.1.6) and Devakinandana (ChhAndogya Up. 3.17.6)
    ** Matsya avatar - preaching Manu - Shatapati brAmhaN 2.2.1.1
    ** KUrma avatAr, varAha swAmi lifted the earth out of rasatAL - Taittireya BramhaN
    ** Narsimha avatAr - Tattireya AraNyak. Hints & signs in Rg Ved 8.14.13
    ** VAman avatAr : "Idam VishNurvichakrame tredhA nidhade padam" - Rg Ved 1.22.17
    ** ParshurAm - atharva ved
    Also, Hayagriva- Satapatha Brahmana 14.1.1
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    I discussed this before, the existence of a creature that is made up out of two other species so far removed from each other genetically, like a man and a lion, horse or boar would actually falsify the theory of evolution and definitely not support it. Narayana is not human and the avatars come back cyclically in different kalpas, like philosoraptor said as well. This idea of the Dashavatara representing the theory of evolution comes from the neo-Vaishnava thinker, Bhaktivinod Thakur. It is a far fetched theory, since most of the dashavataras are in human form.

Thread Information