Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg

Re: Egg

Vannakkam: The traditional Hindu view is that egg is definitely not vegetarian. Vegetarian means 'derived from plants'. However, if you want to eat egg, go ahead. Just know that it isn't traditional Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

These days it has become very fashionable to argue against vegetarianism saying that it involves 'killing plants' and thus it is the same equivalent of killing animals alive. Even when I said that the plant does not get killed, the argument was that vegetarians are eating Potatoes and other root vegetables which 'kills' the plant! I do not know what to say for these types of arguments - how can eating vegetables be same as 'animal killing'?

At the other site, a post by me insisting on non-killing (ahimsa) through vegetarianism procured responses which included 'going overboard with self-righteouness and patting the back to the point of causing rotator-calf injury', 'preaching' and so forth!

When I said that one should only eat foot offered to god and that meant only vegetarian food, Kannappa Nayanar example was cited back to me to prove 'god accepts killed animals too'!!

When people decide certain things as eggs are vegetarian, no amount of convincing can be done to them.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    When people decide certain things as eggs are vegetarian, no amount of convincing can be done to them.
    Vannakkam: So it's pretty much 'Why bother?"

I do bother pointing it out because maybe some other reader will come along and hear and actually believe what Hindus say about Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: So it's pretty much 'Why bother?"
    Yes, I only figured it out after posting my message! I wouldn't bother going forth.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: The traditional Hindu view is that egg is definitely not vegetarian. Vegetarian means 'derived from plants'. However, if you want to eat egg, go ahead. Just know that it isn't traditional Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I think this could be an east meets west scenario, eggs are traditionally viewed as dairy and not a meat product, just as milk taken from a cow doesn't harm the cow, then taking an unfertilized egg from a hen also does the hen no harm. Most vegetarian foods in England contain egg also. I think the major argument which goes against eggs is that of 'factory farming' and 'battery chickens' which are often kept in stressful and generally horrid conditions.

To be honest, if it is a Hindu thing (and all the indicators are saying that yes it is) then perhaps I should consider it. Apparently it is due to the spiritual quality of the egg as opposed to the physical quality? The same way some view garlic or onions.

Hmm, we shall see, it is all a journey.

~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Aum Namasivaya
    Pranam-s,

What about the Nambudiri Brahmins in South India that consume fish? I always thought that they are really traditional. I mean, they have kept alive yajnas 3000 - 4000 years old - that's pretty traditional, right?

Namaste,
    I learnt members of ISKCON have no problem eating honey ......The reason I raise this for consideration is because taking honey is taking another living things food away from it,
    Little bit of research on the internet helps remove lot of mental cobwebs.

http://www.beeman.ca/id18.html

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

What about the Nambudiri Brahmins in South India that consume fish? I always thought that they are really traditional. I mean, they have kept alive yajnas 3000 - 4000 years old - that's pretty traditional, right?
    Vannakkam: Sure. I'm not here to argue. Perhaps I should have worded it 'most traditional Hindus'. I actually am quite ignorant about various communities, and what they're up to.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: Sure. I'm not here to argue. Perhaps I should have worded it 'most traditional Hindus'. I actually am quite ignorant about various communities, and what they're up to.

Aum Namasivaya
    Pranam-s,

I wasn't arguing with you, EM. I don't think eggs are vegetarian at all. They surely do not come from plants - on this I think many of us agree. "Most traditional vegetarian Hindus" do not see eggs as veggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    At the other site, a post by me insisting on non-killing (ahimsa) through vegetarianism procured responses which included 'going overboard with self-righteouness and patting the back to the point of causing rotator-calf injury', 'preaching' and so forth!

When I said that one should only eat foot offered to god and that meant only vegetarian food, Kannappa Nayanar example was cited back to me to prove 'god accepts killed animals too'!!
    Namaste Viraja,

I think spiritual teachings are not meant to judge others and tell what they should do, but for our own personal development. We have a duty to help others, but not to tell them how to live. I think it is useful to discuss the benefits of a vegetarian diet, but it is up to people themselves if they feel like adopting that. In that respect it does not differ from things like meditating, or doing seva. For these things to have effect they must come from an inner need.

I think a good thing in Hinduism is that it acknowledges and respects differences in people. It does not impose a one-size-fits-all-moral on people like Abrahamism. In Abrahamism this creates this "save the world" mentality. This automatically goes with a moral superior position over others. In Dharmic religion the focus is rather on improving yourself. Loving people create a more loving world around them. This creates less conflicts.

A vegetarian diet attributes to spiritual growth, but the benefits are rather subtle. Without the proper awareness people will not notice them. I think for many people other changes in behaviour offer greater benefits and are easier to accomplish. For spiritual growth we have to do things in the right order. A good guru can tell what the next challenge for a person is.

I think the focus should rather be on making people aware of the well-being of animals. This is at the heart of the matter and something that concerns both meat eaters and vegetarians. This unites rather than divides people. If more people become aware of animal suffering inherent in meat eating, some will choose to become vegetarian. But that is secondary and trying to make a vegetarian diet morally obligatory will only backfire.

Ahimsa here can only flourish through awareness of animal suffering. For that people need to connect positively to animals first. They must first feel love for them, to care about their well-being. Westerners will not eat dogs, unthinkable! But they have less connection to other animals. In fact most people do not consciously connect the meat on their plate with an animal any more.

Which is not all bad. It is better than people still routinely killing animals themselves to prepare a meal. Most people could not do that any more. Though I have a lot of respect for cultures in which before eating the meat a prayer is said to bring peace the spirit of the animal. This kind of connection is often more deep than many vegetarians have. And such people are very concerned of the well-being of their animals they keep.

The spread of vegetarianism without the proper awareness may not help animals. In the selfish economical thinking that prevails now, we may kill the livestock and destroy even more nature because it no longer serves us economically.

We will not likely see the whole world become vegetarian in kali yuga, exept for selfish economical reasons. We can not take suffering out of this world. If we can improve our lives, maintain loving families and communities that uphold values that is great thing. And people should be allowed to grow naturally. If someone consciously abstains from meat one day a year or one day in a week, that is good for the person too.

I see vegetarianism rather as an effect than a cause. If so many people in India are vegetarians this can be seen as the fruits of long term civilisation that sets India apart. The path of Dharm is not to strive for the effects. To strive for the effects only creates superficial change, not real inner change. We should allow things to evolve naturally, only create the proper conditions.
    Last edited by Avyaydya; 11 September 2013 at 07:49 AM.

Thread Information