Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg

Re: Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunesh View Post
    #

Namaste!
    In a discussion round of some well known representants of all big religions about vegetarism everybody agreed with the Dalai Lama when he said, that as meat should be designated everything what is able to move from one point to another on his own.

I canīt remember when it was, and I dont have a source of it, but I still remember the words.

kind regards
    Arjunesh
    Namaste Arjunesh

Thanks for sharing this definition. I am confused on a subtle point. An egg cannot move from one point to another on its own. So under this definition, it would not be meat. But it is meat.
    Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Arjunesh

Thanks for sharing this definition. I am confused on a subtle point. An egg cannot move from one point to another on its own. So under this definition, it would not be meat. But it is meat.
    Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam: Even less subtle, dead animals can't move either, so they're not meat?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Even less subtle, dead animals can't move either, so they're not meat?
    Agree, and moreover the Dalai Lama does not speak for me. So, he can say whatever he wants to impress his Hollywood fans.

Pranam.

Namste

If it is your opinion that egg is meat is just fair. But the dead animals were a joke of yours I hope.
    And as I just told that, it doesnīt mean, that I stand for it.

Kind regards
    Arjunesh
    AUM

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunesh View Post
    Namste

If it is your opinion that egg is meat is just fair. But the dead animals were a joke of yours I hope.
    And as I just told that, it doesnīt mean, that I stand for it.

Kind regards
    Arjunesh
    Vannakkam Arjunesh: Yes it was a joke, and yes you do hear these kinds of arguments on eggs brought up now and again in vegetarian discussion circles. So too with dairy, fish, (flowers of the sea?) wool, etc. But as you imply, in the end its up to you.

Aum Namasivaya

Light Re: Egg

I love animals, and I love chickens - they make me laugh with the noises they make and their pottering about. And yet, in the few years I have spent thinking myself a vegetarian, I did not think to avoid egg in ingredients. Now I will

Many have defined life as 'that which has consciousness / feeling'. So by that definition eggs are not alive, however, the do have the 'potential' for life - at least the fertilized ones. So to me, the debate is also weather non - fertilized eggs contribute to hatya / himsa and are therefore non-veg.
    Last edited by sva; 25 March 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

8. Re: Egg

egg is not veg. PERIOD.

and do not confuse Hinduism with vegetarian food. Shirdi Sai Baba, Ramakrishna, Bamdev, etc, etc are the great yogis and saints of India and they happily ate non-veg. Lord Krishna was a non-vegetarian and so was Ram. they were kings and went for hunting. what do you think happened to the animals they killed??

so don't confuse food habits with religion. PERIOD.

eat what your body supports and can digest. laws of nature built the food chains and the food chains must exist to keep balance in nature.

I think there's a misconception about eggs. For instance I've heard that in the ISKCON they consider eating eggs as cruelty to animals... maybe they think eating an egg means a chiken abortion, but this is not true, since the eggs whe buy for food are NOT FERTILIZED eggs.
    So I think eating eggs is equivalent to eat milk products, since no animal death is involved in the process.

I agree with Ale84 here as I think there is a major misconception that an egg is akin to some sort of abortion, eggs are not fertilized they are a waste product which would end up rotting and in the bin if not eaten the same as any piece of fruit.

I learnt members of ISKCON have no problem eating honey however, what are other Hindus views? The reason I raise this for consideration is because taking honey is taking another living things food away from it, the honey bee keeps honey for food during the winter months when flowering plants are not in abundance. Generally speaking it is the excess honey which is taken, but it is still taken non the less. (This is applicable to colder climates such as in Europe, not too sure about other places.)

All this food for thought, mind the pun.
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Thread Information