Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Maha Shiva Ratri 2013

Happy Maha Shiva Ratri 2013

Namaste.

As the title says.

I know I should be doing something 'different' tonight, but I worship Lord Shiva every day, so I really don't know what to do.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Aum Namah Shivaya
    Aum Namah Shivaya

....ad infinitum.

Re: Happy Maha Shiva Ratri 2013

Namaste All

Yes, Happy Maha Shivarathri Celebration to all Members!

I would like to share some art works from a Tamil illustrator family whose father was known by the alias Maniam and whose son uses the same name. I recently discovered, and was very impressed with this family work! Actually, I do not know a lot about him and his sone, so if anyone on the forum has insights to share, that would be fantastic. His art of illustration is notable, his son is also a fantastic artitst, and it appears from the internet they do have a recognized reputation for fantastic works of illustration.

His actual name was “T.V. Subramaniam” and lived from 1924 until 1968, but his alias was Maniam, and known especially for Tamil magazine illustrations. After he died, his son carried on the illustrator tradition for Tamil magazines whose name is Maniam Selvan born 1950 and still alive.
    It appears this Tamil magazine illustrator the father Maniam illustrated with a golden age in the 1960. He should be recognized for his works. Here are a few samples to remember Shiva and Parvati during Maha Shivarathri from this family!

NATARAJ

Here’s one of MURUGA (since He’s Shiva’s son!)

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 March 2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: extensive pictures causing scrolling and viewing issues

Smile Re: Happy Maha Shiva Ratri 2013

Happy Mahashivaratri to all. Today I will smile all day! What a special, wonderful time to share my love of The Lord with you, as we are all one in the dance of the Supreme Lord Shiva. We are your heart, dear Lord.

I wish you a blessed celebration.
    ~ jnana shiva

PS Thank you Shiva Fan for the wonderful images.
    jnanananda.com

"At the still point, there the dance is" -T.S. Elliot

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
    oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

Maha śivarātri begins on the 14th tithi of the dark half of this month (caturdaśa kṛṣṇa pakṣa¹). This tithi begins ( and is now in place) at 1h:34m:45s Universal time. Why do we not start maha śivarātri at this time ?

eka eva rudro na dvitīyāya
    rudra is the sole one, there is no second
    kṛṣṇa yajur ved - taittirīya saṁhitā 1.8.6.iii

iti śivaṁ

1. pakṣa - the half of a lunar month; the first half from new moon to full moon can be called pūrva or apūryamāṇa; we come to know it as śukla or śuddha ;
    • The dark half that we are in know can be called apara or apa-kṣīyamāṇa; We come to know this as kṛṣṇa or tāmisra ; each half consists of 15 tithi-s or lunar days called prathamā , dvitīyā.
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 March 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

According to our puranas,when Devas and asuras were churning for amrutha ,furicious poison called halahal first emanated which could destroy the whole universe,when they prayed to Gods, God Siva boldly took that halahal in to his throat and held it there on this day and saved the whole universe. From that time onwards this particular day is celebrated as "Maha Siva Ratri".Ratri means night.Maha means Great.So it is Great Siva night. But whole day and night is celebrated to honour his great sacrifice.Because of halahal in his throat,it is black and he is called 'Neela kanthaya' and he is prayed in Sri Rudram with these names 'Neela kanthaya', 'Mrityunjayaya','Sarveswaraya',"Sadda Sivaya".
    Siva is also known as Tyaga Raja, Tyaga means sacrfice, Raja means king,thus Tyaga Raja means king of sacrifices,definitely a great name to the God who made a great sacrifice by swallowing halahal(poison) to save the universe.
    This Maha siva Ratri should remind the present day human beings regarding sacrifies one should do in order keep this world going orderly and peacefully, because people keep complaining about little inconveniences they face in their daily life.

Vannakkam,

Happy Sivaratri!

May Shiva bring positivity and victory, as well as relieve the stress and burdens of all HDF members, and of everyone else!

ShivaFan: Thank you for bringing the Maniams' works into the limelight. I've not heard of them but their works seem to have a unique quality.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Happy Shivaratri to all HDF members.
    May the blessings of His Lordship be showered upon one and all!

Pranam.

Namaste

Happy shivratri to everyone!

Har har Mahadev!
    satay

Happy Shivratri to everyone

Pranam

Happy Maha Shiva Ratri

Aum namah Shivaya

॥ ओं नमो भगवते॑ रुद्रा॒य ॥

Jai Shree Krishna
    Har har Mahadev har
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information