Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: why Indra is not worshipped?

Re: why Indra is not worshipped?

Opps! Just for clarification, Whoever that was who took over the title of Indra, that was only temporary. Important point I might have left out. Whatever the "external circumstances" were for Indra temporarily stepping away from Indra position, in part which is none of my business, the true "underlayer" to this history is He started doing yoga and liked it so He didn't want to go back until the other Devatas by popular demand started insisting He come back, also the temporary Indra was doing a lousy job, and Indra's wife was hounding Him to come home. I think I have the situation correct, I don't want to get Indra mad at me. All glories to Sachi Devi for convincing Lord Indra to come home and thus saving the world!

I think this isn't the only example of someone having the position of Indra.

Jai Indra!

Om Namah Sivaya

FYI: In a different HDF post sometime back, I learnt that the 5 pandavas were 'Indra' from the previous 5 yugas! Yudhishtira - the truth speaker is said to be so truthful his chariot's wheels were said to always traverse the earth few inches above it! Bheema is no other than the very brother of Hanuman! Arjuna was so mighty at archery and a noble soul that he received the glorious Bhagawat Gita from Bhagwan himself! Nakula and Sahadeva are each said to be very virtuous and learned at justice systems. Men of such calibre became 'Indra'!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    FYI: In a different HDF post sometime back, I learnt that the 5 pandavas were 'Indra' from the previous 5 yugas! Yudhishtira - the truth speaker is said to be so truthful his chariot's wheels were said to always traverse the earth few inches above it! Bheema is no other than the very brother of Hanuman! Arjuna was so mighty at archery and a noble soul that he received the glorious Bhagawat Gita from Bhagwan himself! Nakula and Sahadeva are each said to be very virtuous and learned at justice systems. Men of such calibre became 'Indra'!
    I would be very interested to know where it is said that the 5 Pandavas became Indra.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    It suddenly reminded me that I recall years ago being taught that, once, someone else actually took up the role and title of Indra once in the past (cannot recall the name of who but it was some sage). It also pointed out that yes, Indra is a name for Indra but also has become a title like Caesar became a title and others were called Caesar who were not the original one, later this title was corrupted if you will into Kaiser in Germany where the C was pronounced K and as Tsar or Caesar in Russia).

Anyway what you say speaks volumes, thank you for that!

Om Namah Sivaya
    You are welcome ShivaFan. I did not know Ceasar was a title which got corrupted to Kaiser (KhAeezer) in Germany and Tsar in Russia. Very interesting.

Once Bali Maharaj, the Daitya king, grandson of bhakta PralhAd, had taken over swarga and in that sense he "became" Indra by force, while Indra and other devas had to hide. So Aditi their then mother prayed to Bhagvan VishNu and He took birth as VAman, Her son. VAman tricked the honest generous Bali to hand over the trailokya back and go to RasAtal to rule there. However VishNu svayam became his guard in return, as a mercy upon this devotee.
    Perhaps that is what you were refering to?

However, apart from such temporary loss of "throne", suppose the present Indra and SAchi, after fulfilling their duties in Svarga, gain moksha and go to VaikuNTha to serve NArAyaN. Then someone else becomes Indra.

** If there is no one fit to be Indra in some era (manvantar), VishNu Himself takes on the role of Indra!
    I think that is from VishNu purAN, sorry i do not have reference at hand.

Not sure of this, but perhaps that has happened with SUrya (the Deity of the Sun), hence SUryaNArAyaN? Acc. to Madhvacharya's followers, SUrya gained Ishvar-sAyujja by becoming the eye of NArAyaNa hence SUryaNArAyaN.

Whatever the "external circumstances" were for Indra temporarily stepping away from Indra position, in part which is none of my business, the true "underlayer" to this history is He started doing yoga and liked it so He didn't want to go back until the other Devatas by popular demand started insisting He come back, also the temporary Indra was doing a lousy job, and Indra's wife was hounding Him to come home.

I laugh when i read your posts. they are so funny. full of humour.

--------------

To the special lover(s) of Indra here on HDF,

My previous post was not for you. Not Applicable. N/A

because all is fair in love and war. And Indra is about both (love and war)

May He eventually lead you to the desired place.

_/\_

Govindam Adi Purusham Tam aham bhajAmi
    Last edited by smaranam; 20 May 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: rasAtal - spelling/pronunciation
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I would be very interested to know where it is said that the 5 Pandavas became Indra.
    It is from the Mahabharata. Draupadi, in a former life, had prayed to Lord Siva five times for a husband, and Lord Shiva had therefore blessed her to marry five former Indras in her next life. These Indras appeared as Yudhisthira and the four other Pandava brothers.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste,

To the special lover(s) of Indra here on HDF,
    My previous post was not for you. Not Applicable. N/A
    because all is fair in love and war. And Indra is about both (love and war)
    May He eventually lead you to the desired place.

Smaranam, thank you for the beauty, truth, and kindness of your words. This excerpt is my favourite part of the entire thread.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

namaskara.

Chhat puja (eastern India): the setting Surya is Devi Ratri, and the rising one is Devi Usha. But the real Deity worshipped here (through UshaRatri) is Chhati Maiya (the 6th mother). And Indra is also the sixth.

The eastern race has always belonged to Indra (not Surya). And the last time that Father India existed as One, that is in the Maurya empire, a Shudra of this race ruled over the greater India (?greater Indra?).

Oh yes, I (a trollBot now) am addressing this to you, ShivaFan!

(spam)
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    It is from the Mahabharata. Draupadi, in a former life, had prayed to Lord Siva five times for a husband, and Lord Shiva had therefore blessed her to marry five former Indras in her next life. These Indras appeared as Yudhisthira and the four other Pandava brothers.
    Do you have the verses/translations? As far as my understanding goes, in Mahabharata only Arjuna has been associated with Indra and that too as his son. He has been referred to as the son of Indra/Sakra/Vasava etc. everywhere and also as Nara of previous birth. Yudhistira as we know, has been associated with Dharma, Bhima with Vayu etc as sons.

Maybe they were equalled to Indra in prowess, in the verses...like saying those 5 Indra likes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    Do you have the verses/translations? As far as my understanding goes, in Mahabharata only Arjuna has been associated with Indra and that too as his son. He has been referred to as the son of Indra/Sakra/Vasava etc. everywhere and also as Nara of previous birth. Yudhistira as we know, has been associated with Dharma, Bhima with Vayu etc as sons.

Maybe they were equalled to Indra in prowess, in the verses...like saying those 5 Indra likes etc.
    I also would love to get this verse. It sounds like he is saying they were all Indra in a previous life, not that they became Indra.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post

Don't have time to dig up the verses now. I read it in the K.M. Ganguli translation, just before the section where the pandavas go to Drupada to convince him to marry Draupadi to all five of them.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Thread Information