Thread: Lord Shiva Appears in Afghanistan to Protect Lady Martins Husband

Lord Shiva Appears in Afghanistan to Protect Lady Martins Husband

In the year 1879, India was under the British regime which had attacked Afghanistan. Lieutenant Colonel Martin was entrusted with the overall command of the operations in this war.
    Colonel Martin would send messages of his wellbeing from the battlefield to his wife. The war dragged on for a long time, and then even the messages ceased to come. Lady Martin was worried thinking, „My husband
    might have been killed in the battle, and if that is true, of what use is my life without him?‟ One day, she went out riding a horse. On the way she was attracted towards the sounds of a conch and the chanting of mantras
    coming from a temple.
    She went into that temple of Lord „Baijanatha Mahadeva‟ and asked the priests, engaged in the worship of Lord Shiva, “What are you doing?”
    An old Brahmin said, “We are worshipping Lord Shiva.”
    Lady Martin further enquired, “What is the significance of worshipping Lord Shiva?”
    The Brahmin replied, “Lord Shiva is a generous donor known for His supreme simplicity as „Bholenath‟.
    He does not delay even for a moment when it comes to relieving His devotees of their troubles. He immediately grants the wish of His devotees with which they come to Him. But dear daughter! Why do you appear so
    worried?” Tears moistened her eyes as she explained the matter to the priest. The Brahmin consoled her, “Don't worry dear daughter! Worship Lord Shiva and pray to Him! Perform a Laghurudri also. Lord Shiva will
    definitely protect your husband.”
    On the advice of the priests, she started an eleven day long Laghurudri anusthna. Each day she would pray to Lord Shiva for the protection of her husband, “O Lord Shiva! O Baijanatha Mahadeva! If my husband comes
    back safe from the battle, I will build a domed temple for You.”

On the last day of the anushthana, a messenger came running to the temple and delivered an envelope to Lady Martin. The letter was from her husband, who wrote,“While engaged in battle I continued to send messages to you, but then suddenly we were surrounded by the Afghan forces from all sides. The British forces including myself were facing imminent death. The condition was so precarious that it was almost impossible to escape. But just then there appeared an Indian yogi with long matted hair holding a triple pointed weapon (trident) in his hand. The lustrous yogi started wielding his weapon with great might. The frightful sight of His weapon moving with lightning speed sent the Afghan forces running for their lives. “By His sheer grace, we escaped the siege of the Afghan forces and got an opportunity to mount a counter attack on them. This converted a definite defeat into a victory. Then that supreme yogi encouraged me saying, „Don‟t worry! I am Lord Shiva and having been pleased with your wife‟s worship, I have come here to protect you.‟ Tears rolled down from Lady Martin‟s eyes as she felt overwhelmed with gratitude. She placed her head in front of Lord Shiva‟s idol and prayed while weeping intensely.
    After a few weeks, Colonel Martin came back to Aagar cantonment. His wife related to him all that had happened. Then, both of them started worshipping Lord Shiva regularly in the „Baijanatha Mahadeva‟ temple. At
    his wife‟s request, Colonel Martin refurbished the temple of „Baijanatha Mahadeva‟ in 1883 at a cost of Rs.15000. A plaque near this temple bears testimony to this historical fact. Incidentally, this is the only Hindu temple built by the English in India.

It is the same Divinity that manifests itself in Lord Shiva… Lord Krishna… The Divine Mother or in the
    enlightened Satgurus… All it needs is an unflinching faith. Ekalavya, through his unflinching faith in the Guru‟s idol, went on to attain that which left even Arjuna astounded. Aaruni, Upamanyu, Dhruva, Prahlada… there are
    hundreds of examples before us. Even today, such divine help is provided to thousands of devotees and aspirants
    by God and Self-realized Satgurus. The one and only thing it requires is complete and unflinching faith.
    Last edited by dhyandev; 17 March 2013 at 12:44 AM.
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Re: Lord Shiva Appears in Afghanistan to Protect Lady Martins Husband

Interesting..thanks for sharing. So many legends on Lord Shiva but again every legend has a fact backing it up .
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Thread Information