Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there something called Kashmir Vaishnavism??

Is there something called Kashmir Vaishnavism??

Hey all, I like the philosophy of Kashmir Shaivism, but I prefer the form of Vishnu. I searched for Kashmir Vaishnavism on google but couldn't really find anything. I only found one page where it said that this shool (Kashmir Vaishnavism) is very rare but it seems to be existing. Now my question, can I practice Kashmir Vaishnavism like K Shivaism just replacing Shiva with Vishnu? Do we have any Kashmir Vaishnavites here maybe?? Thanks

Re: Is there something called Kashmir Vaishnavism??

Quote Originally Posted by mile83 View Post
    Hey all, I like the philosophy of Kashmir Shaivism, but I prefer the form of Vishnu. I searched for Kashmir Vaishnavism on google but couldn't really find anything. I only found one page where it said that this shool (Kashmir Vaishnavism) is very rare but it seems to be existing. Now my question, can I practice Kashmir Vaishnavism like K Shivaism just replacing Shiva with Vishnu? Do we have any Kashmir Vaishnavites here maybe?? Thanks
    I've never heard of Kashmir Vaishnavism, but isn't Kashmir Shaivism based on vishShitAdvaita paradigm of philosophy? If so, then what you might be looking for is the school of rAmAnuja which is the original vishiShtAdvaita tradition and Vaishnava in outlook.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I've never heard of Kashmir Vaishnavism, but isn't Kashmir Shaivism based on vishShitAdvaita paradigm of philosophy? If so, then what you might be looking for is the school of rAmAnuja which is the original vishiShtAdvaita tradition and Vaishnava in outlook.
    Thanks for your reply, I was considering VA first but I've read some things on the Net that actually Advaita is 'superior' to VA, would you say this is true? Are you a VishishtAdvait maybe?? I really would like to know if you don't mind! Regards

Thanks for your reply, I was considering VA first but I've read some things on the Net that actually Advaita is 'superior' to VA, would you say this is true? Are you a VishishtAdvait maybe?? I really would like to know if you don't mind! Regards
    I'm guessing that the people who said "Advaita is 'superior' to VA" are probably Advaitins.

My suggestion is for you to read for yourself and see which one you find most consistent with the scriptural evidence, as well as internally consistent.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Yes, such a school did exist. It was calked Ekayana Vaishnavism. The sect died out long ago, and has left no extant literature. A school of Vaishnavism with a similar theology to Kashmir Shaivism is Vallabhacharya's Shuddhadvaita. I have posted some books on Shuddhadvaita in my online library which can be reached by clicking the link in my signature.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Kashmir Shaivism is monist, but has more in common with the theistic schools of Vedanta than Advaita. Kashmir Shaivism beleives in parinamavada, thus in Kashmir Shaivism, the world is real. Shiva is the material cause, and creates the world out of himself. So there is no vyavharika/paramarthika division. Also, Shiva is not attributeless, and there is no saguna/ nirguna brahman division.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Yes, such a school did exist. It was calked Ekayana Vaishnavism. The sect died out long ago, and has left no extant literature. A school of Vaishnavism with a similar theology to Kashmir Shaivism is Vallabhacharya's Shuddhadvaita. I have posted some books on Shuddhadvaita in my online library which can be reached by clicking the link in my signature.
    Thanks a lot Omkara, love your Page!

The paramarthasAra was originally a Vaishnava text, but it was adopted and transformed into a Shaiva text by abhinavagupta. This is written in the introduction of the Paramarthasara of Abhinavagupta translated by Deba Brata SenSharma:

The Paramarthasara, the Essence of the Supreme Truth,
    is a work of 105 verses written in the Arya metre. It is an
    adaptation of an earlier Vaisnavite text with the same title by
    Adisesa, who is also known as Anantanatha or Adhara. This
    earlier text of the Paramarthasara by Adisesa contains 85
    verses also in Arya metre. It was published by T. Ganapati
    Sastri with the commentary called Vivarana by
    Raghavananda, as volume 12 in the Anantashayana Sanskrit
    Series in 1911.

This earlier Paramarthasara by Adisesa is considered to be

a Vaisnavite text because the first verse is an adoration to
    Visnu and the text teaches a single unified reality which it
    calls Vasudeva or Visnu. The final verse declares that the main
    purpose of the text is to present the essence of
    the Vedanta philosophy of the Upanisads, but in spite of
    this declaration of its aim it does not follow Sankaracharya's
    monistic philosophy. Instead, it expounds ideas from classical
    Sankhya, such as the concepts of purusa and prakrti.
    Abhinavagupta has completely transformed this earlier
    text into a Shaivite text by retaining some verses unchanged,
    making alterations to others, and adding additional
    verses. He has enlarged the text from 85 to 105 verses.

Yogaraja, commenting on the final verse, observes that:

Abhinavagupta, the great follower of the supreme Lord,
    Paramasiva, reproduced the description of the supreme truth,
    given in the past by Lord Sesa, by enlarging and
    refashioning the text to conform with the monistic
    spiritual experiences of the Agamic teachings.

A comparative study of the two texts shows striking and
    numerous similarities and exact correspondences, confirming
    that the present text of the Paramarthasara of Abhinavagupta is
    an adaptation of the older text by Adiéesa.

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=11461

The Paramarthasara, or Epitome of the Highest Truth, is perhaps the earliest work on Advaita Vedanta in existence. Attributed to Adi Sesa, the primeval serpent, or at least to his incarnation Patanjali, it gives in a mere 85 verses, employing ancient Samkhya terminology, a succinct statement of the highest truths taught in non-dual Vedanta. Its teachings have many parallels to those found in Gaudapada's famous Mandukya-karika. This edition includes the original Sanskrit text.

Added to this edition is the later Kashmir Saiva work of the same name, written by Abhinavagupta, which is based on Adi Sesa's earlier work.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    thus in Kashmir Shaivism, the world is real. Shiva is the material cause, and creates the world out of himself. So there is no vyavharika/paramarthika division. Also, Shiva is not attributeless, and there is no saguna/ nirguna brahman division.
    One finer point that I wish to add regarding kaśmiri śaivism ... that is, there is no difference¹ between the universe and śiva. What I mean here is it is not the notion that śiva created the universe, now there is this universe and Him. It is they are one-and-the-same. It is a fraction of Him, yet one and the same. How can this be ? Thus begins the conversation of trika.

Also too, one needs to be mindful of kaśmir śaivism's views on the following differences ( not objections) to vedānta:
    • yoga in action (karma-yoga)
    • mokṣa and its delineation
    • ignorance and its ( complete) elimination
    • who is fit to practice yoga
    • the notion of māyā
    • what is pure and impure
    • the ultimate Reality as being dormant or active ( aware of It-Self)
    • how knowledge and action are key to one's fullness.
    These are a few... now to develop these ideas to the fullest extent it should be done in the uttara folder at a future time.

iti śiva

1. This non-difference is sometimes called paramādvaita or the highest/supreme non-duality. This is at the core of kaśmir śaivism
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 March 2013 at 01:41 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    The paramarthasAra was originally a Vaishnava text, but it was adopted and transformed into a Shaiva text by abhinavagupta.
    First, this paramārthasāra is in essence the work of śeṣa patañjali, as suggested by sahasranama, and is brought into the realm of kaśmir śaivism via abhinavagupta-ji.
    Yet too there is another book, that of the gitārtha sagraha which is abhinavagupta-ji's work that brings the bhāgavad gītā within the perview of kaśmir śaivism. What is unique about this work is, it is extended¹ ( like the paramārthasāra) yet at the end of each chapter abhinavagupta-ji offers sagraha i.e. holding together, seizing. It is the notion that abhinavagupta-ji offers the crux of what was offered in the chapter. This has been abhinavagupta-ji's ~standard form~ of teaching as we find this in his other works. The notion is to bring a compact unity among all the statements offered in the writings. Like containing the ocean in a drop of water.

iti śivaṁ

1. the gitārtha sagraha contains 15 additional śloka-s compared to the traditional bhāgavad gītā.
    2. How many verses to the bhāgavad gītā ? See this post if there is interest: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ghlight=verses
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information