Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namaste :) Newbie here

Namaste :) Newbie here

Namaste

I am new to Sanatana Dharma, and i wish to learn more. i would like to follow this religion and learn more about it, mainly the Shaktism path. I am 21 years old and live in Cleveland, Ohio USA. i have many questions and hope to become a helpful part of the community here

Thank you

Re: Namaste :) Newbie here

Vannakkam Catnip,

Welcome to the forums!

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Namaste

I am new to Sanatana Dharma, and i wish to learn more. i would like to follow this religion and learn more about it, mainly the Shaktism path. I am 21 years old and live in Cleveland, Ohio USA. i have many questions and hope to become a helpful part of the community here

Thank you
    Vannakkam and welcome. One way to learn is to go to a temple. This one http://www.shivavishnutemple.org/ looks good.

Aum Namasivaya

i went to that temple today and the priest seemed to think i was a college student looking for info for a project....... i think i cleared it up with him. he gave me a banana to eat as a blessing........
    i'm a little paranoid that they don't like me ._.

Namaste Catnip,

Welcome to the forum. You are blessed to be living near such a large temple filled with so many beautiful murtis! You will have a wealth of learning (and great place to practice bhakti yoga) from there alone, but you are always welcome here for information and sharing your experiences. Good luck with your journey.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

I felt the love of the divine when i ate the blessed banana, i guess if he didn't like me he wouldn't give me such a thing

I think i will go to their services on the weekends or whenever i can get to one.

And yes, it was very beautiful i just wish i knew how to pay respects....

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    i went to that temple today and the priest seemed to think i was a college student looking for info for a project....... i think i cleared it up with him. he gave me a banana to eat as a blessing........
    i'm a little paranoid that they don't like me ._.
    Vannakkam: I'm amazed, frankly. Usually when I give that advice, it takes months to get up the courage. I'm happy for you.

Yes, you will look out of place. But they will like you. Trust me. Westerners are as unfamiliar to a Hindu priest as the place might be to you. So be patient. I wish I was there to show you the ropes, so to speak.

But I'm not. So my best advice would be to go when its more crowded and follow someone. Just do what they're doing, if you can. Just be apologetic if you make a faux pas. In the meantime I'll try to hunt down some guidelines on etiquette. There are several old threads on here. Here's one:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...1186#post51186

Aum Namasivaya

we got there before the doors had opened and had to wait a while out in the cold . but there was another person waiting with us. My dad noticed the priest we talked to directed all the questions about me towards him and i noticed that, i was fiddling with one of my necklaces (just an amber teardrop shape with silver on the top and a peridot inlaid) and he was staring at my hands the whole time..... was i doing something wrong or was he just distractable? and why did he direct all the questions towards my dad? (i'm 21 btw i just can't afford to live alone)

There were quite a few people in there by the time we left

Namaste,

Any updates on your subsequent visits to the temple - feeling of being 'at home', general acceptability, your personal comfort level at being there, feeling of the presence of the Lord and of being protected by him, a sense of calmness and decreased anxiety in your life, any other experiences you care to share?

Pranam.

Namaste,
    I haven't gone back since, i was sick this week from sunday to tuesday and in bad condition through even today. i plan on going with some bananas and money next week and make an offering to Lord Ganesha.

I have made the move to become a vegetarian! I went into that sickness constantly craving meat and came out thinking it was kinda gross i have lost the desire to eat meat. I'm going to eat dairy products and things with eggs in them but not eggs by themselves, hopefully i'll be able to eliminate eggs eventually. I can't help but think something happened during that period of illness....

I also recently had an experience recently where i met eyes with my cat and i saw the spark of Brahman in him (if that's possible). It was quite amazing....

EDIT
    i suffered quite a bit of abuse in a chat room on thursday and friday and lost a friend because of it and its still affecting me... things are being shaken up but perhaps for the better... i don't know.... i've decided to stay away from that chat room for a few weeks or possibly permanently....
    Last edited by catnip; 31 March 2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: additional info

Thread Information