Thread: Amarnath Trek

Amarnath Trek

Aum Namasivaya:

Has anyone here aver done the Amarnath trek? I heard 40 000 people went this year. Quite the number, considering the arduous nature. I have one friend here who did it some 20 years back. Hinduism Today sent their reporter for a first hand report, in the next issue.

But I'm wondering if we have an y first-hand experiences to be shared here.
    Personally, I don't think I'd ever attempt it. One interesting tidbit is that its cheaper by helicopter than by land.

Lots of on-lne sites will help you out, for a 'small nominal fee'.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Amarnath Trek

Namaste EM,

Sorry to see that no one has come forward with any info on this. Looks like no one in the forum has taken this trek. At least for the Mansarovar trek, Ganeshprasad had some info from his trip and I had some second hand sketchy details.

Pranam.

Pranam

EM, it seems you have been mis informed, the yatra to Amarnath has a very small window. Use to be about two months but this has gradually shrunk to about 5/6weeks. Generally this yatra begins around late June to aug. I think the last day of darsan is on Rakshabandhan. 40000 pilgrimage could not have made this trip already this year.

I think around 150000 faithful make this arduous journey every year, I am sure a lot more then this amount of people would make this journey if it was not for the political situation in Kasmir, terrorist. Army is deployed and stretched all the way to the top. Last year, despite the effort of our army, sadly friend of mine in laws,she was from UK,became victim of this terrible terror.

To begin this yatra one has to first fill registration form and provide medical certificate, no children or anyone above 75 is allowed the trip.

Yatra to the cave of Amarnath which is about 14000ft high, begins from Chandanwari some 16kfrom Pahalgam, this is the furthest I have been, only recently dec2012 on my trip to Vaishnodevi. I only explored this place because on our way back to Jamu from Srinagar the road were closed due to heavy snow fall. I must say I was mortified when we got stuck in the tunnel for three hours all kind of thought went through our mind which we did not speak off at the time but confirmed it when we crossed back to Jamu.

In my estimation the yatra to chardham is no different to Amarnath yatra, perhaps there is more trekking to do on Amarnath if you exclude trek to Go-mukh and beyond to Tapovan. Off course the higher you go difficult it gets, so far my experience tells me Kailash being 19000ft high trek does test ones resolve. I shell try to relay more information of my trip to this place hopefully soon Believer.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 20 March 2013 at 09:57 AM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam
    40000 pilgrimage could not have made this trip already this year.
    Vannakkam: I'm sure it was referring to last year's window. You are a blessed man to have the courage, age, strength, and will to even attempt such pilgrimages. All power to you.

I just find the idea itself both fulfilling and arduous, and have tremendous admiration for anyone who tried. We looked at Muktinath, but once we got into details, I said, "No way!"

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    You are a blessed man to have the courage, age, strength, and will to even attempt such pilgrimages......I just find the idea itself both fulfilling and arduous, and have tremendous admiration for anyone who tried.
    Indeed, Ganeshprasad is blessed. I was at 10,000 ft last year (Cusco, Peru), and the entire time I was in a state of haze, though that did not slow me down to visit the places I had come to visit. One evening, I even asked the hotel folks to hook me up to the Oxygen cylinder for some relief. I can't even imagine trekking at 14,000 to do the pilgrimages.

Pranam.

Thread Information