Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures/paintings of gods

Pictures/paintings of gods

Namaste,

We all feel the great devotion emerge when we view certain pictures of our favourite gods in favourite scenes - to me, for example, Sri Rama closely hugging Sri Hanuman with a sweet smile on his face. I would love to surround my shrine with such pictures in a room dedicated for this purpose. I was thinking about it and had this incredible urge to ask everyone what or who (which god) they would like to have pictured doing exactly what? If not for anything else, this may give each of us a moment to reflect devotedly on our favorite deities doing things most dear to us and thus may be uplifting.

I would love for instance:

i) Rama with Guha on a boat sailing through Ganges.

ii) Rama welcoming and hugging Vibheeshana - both of these would convey a calm, pacifying message of brotherhood to me.

So if you have any picture/particular pose in mind that you would love to have your deity seen in, kindly share. (This is not just a Vaishnava thread).
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Pictures/paintings of gods

Vanakkam,

If I have time between work and if you want, I can paint you the pictures you want and give them to you :0
    It may take some days but there is no problem for me, I need practice anyway

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Vanakkam,

If I have time between work and if you want, I can paint you the pictures you want and give them to you :0
    It may take some days but there is no problem for me, I need practice anyway

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Wow, McKitty! You paint? Great! (I'm amazed).

Well, I do not want to burden you, but if you can indeed draw those pics (even a rough sketch without any colors would do), I would be most obliged to receive them from you.

I didn't expect this reply! I feel blessed!

I have had an image in my mind of Parvati and Ganesha that I would like to paint one day. I picture the beautiful and graceful Parvati embracing her enormous elephant-headed son. I would call the painting, "Beautiful Boy".

I have recently finished a painting of Sri Rama and Sri Sita's wedding. It is not the typical devotional painting, but I think there is a lot of love and playfulness to it.

Nice thread idea!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post

I have recently finished a painting of Sri Rama and Sri Sita's wedding. It is not the typical devotional painting, but I think there is a lot of love and playfulness to it.
    It seems Valmiki the sage who wrote Ramayana mistakenly used to sing "Mara, Mara!" and god still blessed him with the ability to foresee the entire Ramayan and write it! Devotion is the utmost necessity towards the painting of the divine and since you brought it to life with much devotion and love, it must truly be wonderful. I am one of those waiting to see your lovely picture!

Namaste

I would like to add the following art depiction to the room where is my shrine.

In this scene is found a Tamil boy. He is dressed all in white, wih a simple upper garmet, and a simple dhoti. His face is strikingly benign for a boy of 16. He is on his knees, his hands raised palms inward, fingers opened straight and together, the tips of the fingers of each hand almost touching but not touching.

He is in a small room, the possessions are merger. All that is seen in this room, which is somewhat shadowed as if twilight has descended, is an old broom in a corner, an odd wooden chair, there is a small wooden table before this boy who is facing it on his knees.

On this table is a brass puja lamp burning only one flame. There are no Murtis, but there is a clay little water pot also on the table.

The flame is not yellow. It is white, as large as the lamp itself. It is sharp in halo.

Inside the flame is seen Murugan.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vanakkam,
    Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    i) Rama with Guha on a boat sailing through Ganges.
    I've found several pictures that depict the scene you are descripting, is it this kind you are looking for ?

~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    It seems Valmiki the sage who wrote Ramayana mistakenly used to sing "Mara, Mara!" and god still blessed him with the ability to foresee the entire Ramayan and write it! Devotion is the utmost necessity towards the painting of the divine and since you brought it to life with much devotion and love, it must truly be wonderful. I am one of those waiting to see your lovely picture!
    While I am not revealing the whole painting until the series is done, here is a cropped portion of it. Probably the most important part anyway ;-) Thank you for your kind words. This painting series is very important for me. So I ca only hope it does the subject matter justice in a small way.

Shanti
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

McKitty,

Yes and no. Those are the pictures I'm looking for, but even in these lovely pictures, Guha is simply a 'boatman' - there is no gesture of friendship and equality implied between Rama and Guha, equality which Rama extended towards Guha and accepted him as one of his brothers. I am imagining something like Rama and Guha standing side by side, Guha looking more like a 'small-scale ruler' - he was the ruler of a certain tribe that lived beyond Ganges at the time and either Rama and Guha chatting away or embracing each other... something like that (Oh yeah, then they won't be on a boat, 'cause someone needs to be a boatman). Anyway, it was just to show the simple affection between 2 souls, the main purpose of this thread was to ask others also to share what they find attractive like a 'want this' kind of picture. I appreciate your help in finding these lovely pictures for me. I'm going to print out the Moonlight picture, I find it very lovely.

@ShivaFanji,

Thank you for sharing the detail behind that lovely picture of yours ShivaFanji. Senthil Murugan in the flame is a novel idea.

Jodhaa,

Your picture looks amazing and very, very different! Once it is done, I would like to purchase a copy from you. Thank you for letting me have a preview of it. You can wait for an auspicious day to reveal the entire picture to us. (April 19th is Rama Navami...).
    Last edited by Viraja; 20 March 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Thread Information