Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: subtleties in the gītā

Re: subtleties in the gītā

Allow me to pose two questions :

1. How should we understand the word 'brahmabhuta' in the context of 18.54 ? Is it to be interpreted in the dvaitic or advaitic sense?

2. What is the meaning of buddhi-yoga in 2.49 and 10.10 ?
    Om Tat Sat

Namaste,

This is such a nice thread and to bring it up again I am sure is worthy of reading for anyone interested in the Bhagavad Gita

Yajvan Ji as always helps with some very sharp insights.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast�

When do you think the ~official~ teaching of kṛṣṇa-jī begins ? If one is paying attention you will notice a before and after approach that occurs between the Lord and arjun. Can some one point this out ?

Can some one also point out the one śloka that is the Supreme truth offered ( in chapter 2) and the remainder of the bhāgavad gītā goes on to explain from multiple angles ?

iti śivaṁ
    This is quite a difficult question due to the depth of all the slokas as Yajvan Ji mentioned that not even one word is spoken without reason.

Arjuna asks Sri Krsna to bring him in between the two armies, this middle portion is the place between the two extremes and dualities of outward going sense and mind consciousness. Its why krsna is giving so much emphasis to bring his state of mind and grief to a level of equanimity.

Back to the question at which point did the Sri Krsna start to teach the Bhagavad Gita.

In my recent re visits back to the firs chapter of Bhagavad Gita it seems that it is in this sloka

second question

Can some one also point out the one śloka that is the Supreme truth offered ( in chapter 2) and the remainder of the bhāgavad gītā goes on to explain from multiple angles ?

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast�

iti śivaṁ
    Namaste

To me the ONE shloka in Bhagavad Geeta Chapter 2 is Shloka 55 for definition of Sthitapradnya / sthitapraj~na muni, which becomes the springboard for the final "EshA BramhI sthitI pArtha,..." BG2.72 - This verily is the BramhI sthitI .. where "this" references the explanation in previous shlokas

BG 2.55 :
    [shri bhagavAn uvAcch : ]
    prajahAti yadA kAmAnsarvAnpArtha manogatAn |
    AtmanyevAtmanA tushTah: sthitapradnyastadocchyate ||

Shri BhagavAn Shri KRshNa said:
    O Arjun (pArth, son of pRuthA i.e. Kunti), the point at which this one (in the body) , this purusha, gives up/resigns/throws away/gets rid of all desires of this mind, and remains content, satisfied, in this Self (AtmA) via the Self ItSelf (AtmanyevAtmanA) , at that point the one/purusha is called sthitapradnya.

This is the most beautiful definition of Sthita pradnya by the Supreme Lord, BhagavAn Shri KRshNa, and it leads to His definition of brAmhI sthiti (BG 2.72)

|| om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ||
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste

prasāde sarva-duḥkhānāḿ
    hānir asyopajāyate
    prasanna-cetaso hy āśu
    buddhiḥ paryavatiṣṭhate
    Translation of Bhagavad Gita 2.65
    For one thus satisfied [in Krishna consciousness], the threefold miseries of material existence exist no longer; in such satisfied consciousness, one’s intelligence is soon well established.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast�

I thought it may be of some interest to look at the more subtle� offers that are found within our bhāgavad gītā. Please add yours as you see fit.

Because March 20th contains the vernal equinox I thought I would start there ; we know this as the first day of spring. This equinox is known as viṣuvat - being in the middle; middle most. So, my first question...
    Within the very 1st chapter, arjun asks kṛṣṇa-jī to place his charrot in between ( madhya� is used in the śloka ) the two armies. It is here that their conversation takes place. Why in-between (viṣuvat ) ? Surely they could have gone to another place to have this discussion. Is there some significance beyond the obvious i.e. of being able to view the armies in fully array ?

iti śivaṁ

words

• subtle = saṃketa - a hint some may call nālikā , others may call sūcā or pointing out or piercing in.
    • madhya - middlemost , intermediate , central

Namaste yajvan
    so beautifully you have directed the matter to discuss .
    the water flows to both the directions on both side if flowing in the middle top and so is the position of Arjuna but
    he asks ignorantly if shrutis direct to fight with near and dears for self pleasures and kingdom .
    so if we look rigveda and refer 5 and 6 Mandalam there we find the persons performing yajnas and asking Indra or Agni to crush the near and dear ones for self pleasures and kingdom .
    krsna mocks and directs to logic saying that you are a kshatriya and its religion is to fight for just by himself and not begging the divines to .
    i don't know but can anybody expect the divines or the God himself to come to fight for help , illogical of course .
    rig says ...kasmai devay havisha vidhem ?
    Of course not possible for one who is beyond any physical approach so not renunciation but abandonment of fruitative actions is the only way bhagvadgita teaches .
    jai Sri krsna

Thread Information