Thread: Some Personal Thoughts

Threaded View

The Giver and the Mendicant

Namaste,

In the ancient times, Hindus placed a very high value on their daughters. This is illustrated by the interaction between Raja Dashrath and Raja Janak. For Ram's marriage, Raja Dashrath arrived at the Raja Janak's palace with all his relatives and friends. As Raja Janak welcomed him, Raja Dashrath proceeded to bow and touch Raja Janak's feet. Raja Janak stopped him and said, "Being groom's father you have a higher standing; why are you embarrassing me by trying to reach for my feet"? At this, Raja Dashrath replied, "At this point you are the दाता (donor) and I am a याचक (mendicant). You are going to do kanyadaan (charitable act of giving away one's daughter) and I have come to receive that daan (charity). So, you are higher than me and it is only befitting that I show my humility towards to you." Raja Janak was very moved by this gesture.

It is said that every daughter has a father but not every father has a daughter; only the blessed ones do. Unfortunately the social norms of today put a heavy burden on a girl's parents at the time of marriage and because of that daughters are not accorded the respect and adoration that they deserve. Perhaps every groom should take the initiative to change the social norms and that would reverse the tide and would elevate women to the level that they deserve and belong to.

Namaste.
    Last edited by Believer; 18 July 2016 at 12:13 PM.

Thread Information