Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some Personal Thoughts

Re: Some Personal Thoughts

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    Oh and PETA might be camping on your door step.
    Things we fear the most,
    1. HDF Moderators
    2. PETA
    3. IRS

Pranam.

Namaste,

Few years ago I happened to watch a documentary about the relocation of elephants in Africa.

Because of urban growth, humans got too close to the elephant habitats, and for safety reasons, it was decided to relocate the elephants to a far away, more wooded area, away from the inhabited land. Since adult elephants are rather heavy and bull headed, the authorities decided to kill all the adult elephants and transport the babies over to the new area. Normally when the young ones grow up as part of a herd, the adults check their every mischief and nudge them to behave themselves. But in the adult-less environment, there was no one to discipline them. So, all the young, rambunctious, adolescents grew up to be problem adult elephants. They would be constantly fighting among themselves, uprooting trees, and destroying everything in their path. It was a big lesson for the naive Govt. officials who had the older elephants killed, not understanding that they were needed to discipline the young ones and help them grow up to be civil members of the herd.

On a similar note, in the forum, sometimes the rambunctious, adolescent behavior has to be moderated to keep everyone in line. Being a moderator is a tough job, but they do it without any complaints, and we should be thankful to them for their efforts in maintaining peace in the forum.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 13 April 2013 at 11:28 AM.

Namaste,

It appears that every six months or so, someone in the forum expresses a desire to learn Hindi and out come half baked reactions from newer members, who in many cases are not even aware of the basic Hindi variations in South Asia. I will just provide brief definitions here so as to be able to just provide a link for any future discussions.

Hindi - a derivative of Sanskrit, uses the same 'dev-nagari' script as does Sanskrit, and of all the derived Indian languages, is the one closest to Sanskrit.

Hindustani - the commonly used form of Hindi which is peppered with words from English, Arabic, Farsi and Turkish and uses expanded alphabet in devnagari script to accommodate non native sounds (for example Z). For better or for worse, this is the prevalent language which is used by about 70% of the population in their everyday communication.

Urdu - Hindi saturated with words from the muslim lands and written in the Arabic script, from right to left. It is spoken just like Hindi, has the same sentence structure and grammar, but is heavily dependent on the use of alien equivalent words. It basically is an invented language for the Hindus who were made to convert to Islam, to align themselves more with their mentors in the muslim lands and to distance themselves from their original Hindi/Hindu roots.

Sanskrit - the language of the gods, is a highly evolved ancient classical mother language and all the Hindu scriptures were spoken and are recorded in Sanskrit. Unfortunately, it is not used much today. Some people have this pipe dream of some day resurrecting this language, but with English becoming the de facto international language, there is less and less importance being given to the native languages of different countries all over the globe. Some members advise Westerners to learn Sanskrit rather than Hindi, so as to be able to read the scriptures in their original form. First thing it takes years to be really proficient with it, and the second thing is that the ability to read does not mean one can comprehend the meaning of scriptures. Every verse of the major work has a deep meaning and that is why we have commentaries by highly evolved acharyas, that we depend on for getting the message of the scriptures. They are not like cheap novels that just the ability to read them will also enable you to comprehend them. If someone is talented and has the desire to learn Sanskrit, they should by all means go for it. But for an average devotee spending time on learning the language is a waste of time; time that could instead be spent on sadhana for spiritual growth.

Discouraging anyone from learning Hindi on the grounds that they might get exposed to the imported words and end up learning Hindustani is fruitless. If that is what people speak, then that is what the new learners would end up being introduced to. The degree of degradation of Hindi in its pure form, would depend on the teacher and what the students desire to be taught. So, we should not discourage aspiring students from learning Hindi, in whatever form available.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 28 May 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added the para about Sanskrit

What! HDF mods are number 1 above PETA and IRS! Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Things we fear the most,
    1. HDF Moderators
    2. PETA
    3. IRS

Pranam.
    satay

Namaste,

Many people new to Hinduism want to visit a mandir, but are invariably nervous about doing so and keep putting it off. Here are some of the posts to smooth your way for the first visit,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...28&postcount=2
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...86&postcount=8

And, there might be others too, buried somewhere deep in the forum.

Some accounts of 'first visit' to a mandir:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...346#post102346
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=12

To re-emphasize, please wear modest clothes (not rags or clothes slit open all over) and hide your tattoos, if your body is painted all over. The respect and consideration that a person receives depends among other things, on appearance and the smile on your face.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 20 September 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Hari Om

Namaste BelieverJi and to all,

Offerings like these found within these links you share were very helpful in making my first visit to Mandir.

With this type of information and encouragement provided here at HDF, plan on visiting my third different one in Cincinatti, Ohio, in first week of May.

As other esteemed HDF member here says, will plan on having a grand time.

Thanks.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

FFTW

Degree of Ownership

Namaste,

When we are tasked with something, we can either take up ownership of the assignment and give it our all to produce the best results possible, or do it just because circumstances require it, and not care about the outcome. Similarly, when Hinduism is being discussed, different people may have different reactions (based on their sense of ownership) to the things being said about it.....

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...1&postcount=21
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...7&postcount=13

When an adoptee to Hinduism is challenged about his/her commitment, again the degree of ownership plays a significant role in his/her response....

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...2&postcount=11

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 30 June 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added the second link.

Vegetarian - To be or Not to be

Namaste,

Every so often there is a debate about the need to have a vegetarian life style. Different Hindus have varied dietary habits depending on the food availability/cultural norms/religious commitment. But, the thing to remember is that it is an important requirement on the spiritual path. Not every one is cut out to follow or to stay on the spiritual path in this life time. Common householders may put their blinders on and just be worried about taking care of their family's material needs. Poor people may survive on whatever morsels they can get. Affluent ones may like to savor what they consider to be the finer things in life. Food junkies may like to sample everything under the sun that has stopped moving in the name of having eclectic tastes. So, passing a moral judgement on others is not a desirable thing to do. Rationalizing of breaking the rules under different guises, is what turns this into a joke. There is no need to feel guilty or force oneself against ones innate desires. If the hunger to reach the (spiritual) destination is not strong enough, it will have to be via a slow path, or at worst the journey might be put on hold.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...3&postcount=10

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 08 May 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Namaste Believer

Thanks for starting this thread. I am wondering if it would be ok for me to just ask a question, which has sort of been bugging me this week. Overall, these last couple of weeks have been very rewarding for me in regards to meditation, which I do outside (i.e. in nature something I enjoy even more as I get older and realize soon my body will be too old to go out into nature!). I have been very relaxed as a result, and being relaxed at the same moment I almost have a carefree or I dont care attitude watching others who are friends argue with each other actually makes me laugh. But in that regard

It is very clear that religion has its roots in India. That is why India is called Mother India (IMO). It is the most ancient religion.

Yes it is true that Saints have protected Hinduism from the beginning. Within the forests, upon the high mountains, along the holy rivers, the Saints and Yogis, the mystics and renounced take the holy teachings, even the Devas and Devi with them, and even some holy secrets, into these forests, up to these high mountains and into the holy rivers. No matter how vast is the enemies of Hinduism, these holy ones have Hinduism protected forever, to return again to the common world from out of these forests and dwellings and into the common world of the common man.

We thank them for this.

But at the same time, I feel we must all do our small part as well. Is it like being a fox. The fox alone could be a victim to the tiger. But many foxes, together, are united and the tiger thinks twice.

I think Hindus need to remain united. We must be so, and less quarreling among ourselves. Each has diverse representation of this Family, let each proclaim their glory. But less quarreling with put downs on others. If your glory is true, that should be enough to proclaim that. And let all others of this Family proclaim their glory, too!

Vande Bharat Mataram

I am not one to tell others anything. But this is so simple, why not bring this up?

I love Hinduism, precisely because when I am with Hindus, at the temple, listening to lectures and teachings, frankly I find such quarrels very rare. And how diverse are the glories, and it is this very amazing and broad diversity that is so powerful, so attractive, so engaging, so wonderful.

You know, sometimes we hear some advanced souls speak of other religions as having some validity. But when I listen very, very carefully, I find they are not saying that another religion outside of Hinduism is parallel with Hinduism. What I find is actually being said is that, Hinduism is the fountain head of all religion, it is the origin of religion and being so, there is no other religions which could not have first heard or has been given the wiser teachings other than from the fountain head itself. So there is those seeds even in other religions. That does not mean all religions are good. Those who take magic and use such power for evil, they are evil. Which is just another reason why we need to be united.

Devas and Devi are important to me. Sometimes they are right there, present. But also there are times when they are silent witnesses. We cannot hide, even in our mind. Even in our mind there is no hiding, it is known by others. So we need to be Hindus both outside and in the mind.

Recently I was introduced to the words Vaidika Dharma thanks to this forum! Sanatana Dharma is the eternal Dharma, and Vaidika Dharma is the Dharma of the Vedas. Surely we all share the Vedas!

Anyway, from a pea who might have fell out of the pod.

Om Namah Sivaya

Subjugating People

In the history of the universe, many nations, many cultures have overpowered and imposed their values on others. Not only that, but many have dehumanized others so as to be able to rule them without any guilt. In the recently released movie Django Unchained, there is a scene where a claim is made that among all the sub-human species, blacks have the largest brain area for being submissive. To subjugate a people, the rulers must, by the nature of things, think of their subjects to be worthless and of value less than those of the animals, or their pets. When the brains of the rulers and the subjects are thus programmed, there is no guilt feeling among the rulers, and no revolt among the subjects either. As I travel to different lands, I have observed that different white cultures have varying degrees of respect for non-whites. This is closely related to subjugation that they might have practiced in the past and something that shaped their mindset. The Nordic people, not having come in contact with, or having subjugated other cultures, are relatively free of the in-built prejudices towards other races. The British, with their history of having played mind games to control their subjects, come across differently. This is what was proposed and practiced in India for a long time,

Lord Macaulay’s address to the British Parliament made on 2-2-1835:
    I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief; such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage and therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self esteem, their native culture, and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation.

America too has a history of having subjugated almost every other culture - blacks through slavery, Filipinos through ruling them for 300 years, Chinese through having brought them almost as indentured laborers for building its railroads, and other cultures through different means. The sense of superiority acquired through these 'crusades' permeates everything and often shows up at the subconscious level, just as the past Abrahamic indoctrination shows up occasionally among people who have adopted alternate faiths. It is something to be watched and checked.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 21 May 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Thread Information