Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Converts and hate

Re: Converts and hate

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Namaste,

Come on, brah. That's not mentioned in the Shri Rig-Veda, brah. That's blasphemy, brah.

Welcome home, sistah (brahhh)!

Namaste,

No way, homie.

Paijavana
    Namaste (again).

I am tossing up between 'u mad' and 'cool story, 'bro'.

*I cut my 'internet teeth' on kids gaming forums.

Yes, we should get this back on topic.

I am also rather 'old school' too, but my love is of the Upanishads, the works of Adi Shankaracharya and then, later, Patanjali.

Coming from a background in Hindu esotericism and mysticism, I am quickly shunned by mainstream Hindus.

I prefer to take the approach to Hinduism through Yoga, not books.

I'd like to think that a lot of Hindus have preconceived notions of Western converts.

They see those pictures like the white woman standing on a statue of Lord Ganesha...they see all these 'Yoga scams'...they see converts trying to make money off the religion, or who are nothing more than 'new-age hippies' and they think that all converts are like that....destroying and defiling their religion.

I like you, Sudas because you are not a 'stuffed shirt' like many other Hindus.

Who ever said that religion has to be cold, stale and boring?

Hinduism is a celebration of life...it is meant to be enjoyed. We can laugh about it as well as being serious about it without offending anybody.

We can sing, laugh and dance as we please, as long as it is done in the spirit of worship and brotherhood.

To keep on quoting the scriptures all the time is good and all, but it makes one seem like a 'Hindu nerd'.

Vedanta means the 'end of knowledge' and that's something many don't seem to get.

The end of knowledge is the beginning of wisdom.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery D. Long View Post
    Loving this Vedic banter!
    Me too! It's a nice change. =)

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    I am tossing up between 'u mad' and 'cool story, 'bro'.
    Cool story, gurrl.

I am also rather 'old school' too, but my love is of the Upanishads, the works of Adi Shankaracharya and then, later, Patanjali.
    I admire his words on a Candala that he met, stating that whoever teaches him about the greatest truth(s), whether it be from a Brahmin or a Candala, he/she will be his teacher or he/she will be the one who he will respect the most.

Coming from a background in Hindu esotericism and mysticism, I am quickly shunned by mainstream Hindus.
    Join the club, dawg.

I prefer to take the approach to Hinduism through Yoga, not books.
    Ew. Yoga. Me like fire. Me like fire (yajna) a lot.

They see those pictures like the white woman standing on a statue of Lord Ganesha...
    Say what?!

they see all these 'Yoga scams'...they see converts trying to make money off the religion, or who are nothing more than 'new-age hippies' and they think that all converts are like that....destroying and defiling their religion.
    I am not fond of New Age. They lack originality. Furthermore, Christian fanatics have attacked Hinduism through their warped notions about New Age, thinking that New Agers are cultic satanists that are inspired by Lord Shiva, who they see as one with their Abrahamic serpent "demon". But, I can't blame New Agers too much. Christian Dalits in India go ape**** when Vedicists want to conduct a yajna involving goat sacrifice, but will riot when Hindus protest the Christians eating beef (cough Kerala cough).

I like you, Sudas because you are not a 'stuffed shirt' like many other Hindus.
    I hope that is a good thing.

Who ever said that religion has to be cold, stale and boring?

Hinduism is a celebration of life...it is meant to be enjoyed. We can laugh about it as well as being serious about it without offending anybody.

We can sing, laugh and dance as we please, as long as it is done in the spirit of worship and brotherhood.
    Trust me, India a thousand years ago was completely different. Now, it is a robbed old female trying to find her way to the nearest cop station yet all the cop stations are closed. The frenzy of life that Hinduism expounds is a fraction of what it used to be. I hope brother/sisterhood develops strongly in the near future. Even on this site you will find disunity.

To keep on quoting the scriptures all the time is good and all, but it makes one seem like a 'Hindu nerd'.
    Hey now, not my fault. It just bugs me when Hindus call SB and BG Vedic texts....so, I go nerdy on them.

Vedanta means the 'end of knowledge' and that's something many don't seem to get.
    The end of knowledge is the beginning of wisdom.

Paijavana

Namaste.

I'm too lazy to multiquote today...

So, when you say 'kill it with fire' you mean it quite literally.

I also used to do a lot of Havan - I agree with you it is amazing!

When you become the Agni...the Swaha and then spend the rest of the time doing Trataka on the fire - which happens by itself after that.

I don't know whether I have become lazy with my Sadhana or it is just tapering off naturally.

Is it the devil inside me that is going 'it's better to just be than to become'?

Am I just stuck within a false sense of security that all my previous worship has all led to?

About that Ganesha thing...there was a picture posted on here not too long ago (will find later) showing two western women, dressed in Saris behaving inappropriately towards a statue of Lord Ganesha which created uproar on here...they were stepping on him, hugging him and all that.

This bit I will quote:
    I am not fond of New Age. They lack originality. Furthermore, Christian fanatics have attacked Hinduism through their warped notions about New Age, thinking that New Agers are cultic satanists that are inspired by Lord Shiva, who they see as one with their Abrahamic serpent "demon". But, I can't blame New Agers too much. Christian Dalits in India go ape**** when Vedicists want to conduct a yajna involving goat sacrifice, but will riot when Hindus protest the Christians eating beef (cough Kerala cough).
    I am often called 'New Age' and I am still trying to work out what that really means. I don't care what "age" I am, as long as I know why - especially when it comes to being called a "New-Age Vedantist".

I'm like...hang on, has Brahman really changed at all since way back when?

I agree that 'New Ager's" lack originality, but what I always talk about is older than the dawn of time.

It's understandable how Christians can equate Lord Shiva with being the Devil.
    ...it's because of Vasuki.

Vasuki symbolises the primal force...Shakti...Kundalini.

That's what the Serpent in the Garden of Eden was. Adam and Eve ate the Forbidden Fruit to forget about this...to live in ignorance....it's like Neo choosing to eat the red pill...they chose the blue one.

Is it the serpent's fault? Nope, because God gave them free will, to either accept things how they are, or how they want them to be.

As for your example, it's a case of 'double standards'.

Hindus shouldn't care about Christians and Muslims eating beef, because they are not Hindu, therefore their way doesn't apply to them...the same with the goat sacrifice.

All this...this whole thread is a case for projection and nothing more.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 28 July 2013 at 11:55 PM.

By the way...about Lord Shiva symbology, here's a nice thread about it already:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=11295

Aum Bhatuk Bhairavaye Namah

Most of what I've read in this thread seems directed towards the Caucasian converts(forgive me if I'm wrong). But what is the reaction to converts of other races? I am of African descent.

After being a member of another 'Hindu' forum for a while, I'm given to the fear that Christian White converts may really be a danger for Hinduism. My fear owing to the factor that:

a) Many of them seem to be hostile against any Hindu who tells them meat eating is wrong - that eating meat or purchasing meat is tantamount to killing the animal by one's own hands.

b) They still preserve their faith/loyalty/liking of Christ. Owing to this reason, they feel very offended if other native born Hindus oppose to the worship of Christ. I doubt that they will, if allowed to be dictators of Hinduism, such as holding an important position in temple where other Hindus are educated, will pass on the notion of Universalism and expect other Hindus to pray/revere Christ and such and this may gradually lead to Hindus converting to Christianity.

I am not offending anyone here - just expressing genuine concerns.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Viraja; 01 August 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Many of them seem to be hostile against any Hindu who tells them meat eating is wrong - that eating meat or purchasing meat is tantamount to killing the animal by one's own hands.I am not offending anyone here - just expressing genuine concerns..
    Iam not offended i want to discuss a bit more on your firm belief that meat eating is unhindu, which is in fact a myth, swami vivekanada was also eating fish for a very longtime!!!

Try this viraja. Go to your mandir that you regularly attend and loudly declare to the congregation that 'meat eating is unhindu' and then see the response you get from them. The point is it is not unhindu to eat meat. You will be reprimanded by the very 'old' hindus in the mandir for spreading misinformation about (the diversity or lack there of) in the dietary preferences of hindus. The converted hindus you argued with elsewhere are definetely right this onetime. As stated already here on HDF by others, among others Kshatriyas are meat eaters alongside yadavas (who raised sri krishna) and many more. So how do we encourage and promote vegetarianism then?Lets say that Vegetarian food is satvik and meat is tamasic in nature and lets not go any further than that, far if you venture in that direction you end up waking up with the minority of hindus. A lot of mandirs are built by meat eating hindu communities here in the USA, in India and elsewhere. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Iam not offended i want to discuss a bit more on your firm belief that meat eating is unhindu, which is in fact a myth, swami vivekanada was also eating fish for a very longtime!!!

Try this viraja. Go to your mandir that you regularly attend and loudly declare to the congregation that 'meat eating is unhindu' and then see the response you get from them. The point is it is not unhindu to eat meat. You will be reprimanded by the very 'old' hindus in the mandir for spreading misinformation about (the diversity or lack there of) in the dietary preferences of hindus. The converted hindus you argued with elsewhere are definetely right this onetime. As stated already here on HDF by others, among others Kshatriyas are meat eaters alongside yadavas (who raised sri krishna) and many more. So how do we encourage and promote vegetarianism then?Lets say that Vegetarian food is satvik and meat is tamasic in nature and lets not go any further than that, far if you venture in that direction you end up waking up with the minority of hindus. A lot of mandirs are built by meat eating hindu communities here in the USA, in India and elsewhere. Namaste.
    There could be 'Hindus' who do eat meat, some of whom might have done great stuff like building temples too. But according to Hinduism, it is indeed 'wrong' to eat meat. Infact, I can think that this religion being the only one which declares so, that eating meat, purchasing it for others are wrong actions. So there is nothing offensive in being pointed out this fact, in reality, no convert should be new to this belief in Hinduism either. Read any works by any staunch Hindu astrologer - first they ask to give up meat as worship of any deity while eating meat will bear no fruits. Simply being pointed this out should not surprise anyone!

By the way, I did not know Swami Vivekananda ate fish. I would definitely say he was wrong in that aspect, I wouldn't be afraid to tell this to him if he were alive!
    Last edited by Viraja; 01 August 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
    Most of what I've read in this thread seems directed towards the Caucasian converts(forgive me if I'm wrong). But what is the reaction to converts of other races? I am of African descent.
    Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums by the way. I think your situation is quite unusual. At least in my experience it is. Caucasian Hindus are rare, but African American Hindus are even rarer. Of course there is Swami Gahananda (probably wrong spelling) in Ghana who has done a wonderful job there. I'm also guessing ISKCON had or still has a few African American devotees.

In my travels, I have yet to encounter any African American devotees at any of the Indian built temples, (or Chinese for that matter).

As far as hate goes, it knows no boundaries and can go in all directions. but then so can Love. Within Hinduism, in my experience it is about 99.9 % of the latter. The 0.1% do tend to make noise though.

Aum namasivaya

Thread Information