Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Converts and hate

Re: Converts and hate

Namaste again, Kala.

Sorry for the 'double post' and if it seems like I am preaching to you, I'm not. I am only trying to help you based upon the circumstances.

I notice from your signature, you worship Goddess Kali. I worship Lord Bhairava.

We are two white Australian women worshiping the most destructive forces in the universe. Coincidental? I think not.

Like I said before, I used to swear like a swearing sailor even long after my conversion (re-conversion) to Hinduism.

You may think nothing of it, because they are only 'words' like any other 'word'. I used to think that too.

Then, somebody said to me: "do you sing praises to Lord Shiva with that mouth"? It got me to thinking about that...however, swearing was a 'bad habit' that seemed to happen all by itself.

However and whilever you continue to swear (I mean, people took offense at me even saying 'LOL' after a post on here), nobody is going to take you seriously...people are going to say: "how can Kala be a Hindu if she swears"?

Anyway, the point of this double-post...

I don't know how devoted you are to Mother Kali (ask yourself that)...but if it's anything like my experience with Lord Shiva, your heart just gets blown away by it...all the energy is there...all the love is there...

My friend told me to try a Vishuddhi Chakra meditation to try and raise the awareness to a higher level. The 'throat chakra' is where speech originates from (good and bad) and if the language is bad, that chakra is tightly closed up.

I mean, I'll still say the 's word' that relates to excreta sometimes...like when I am startled, I injure myself or press wrong key on PC and get 'blue screen of death'...but I am overcoming that. It's more spontaneous than anything.

I hope Goddess Kali can help you out now. Pray to Her sincerely and ask Her to guide you. You'll soon find that things aren't as bad, nor as 'black and white' (pun intended) as you think they are.

Aum Klim Kalikaye Namah
    Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste Necromancer,

Your have made an excellent point. If we wouldn't wish the mouth that praise HIM to utter foul words, then how can we allow the mind that recognize HIM to think about Kaama, Krodha and Lobha.

Next time before I let my mind to wander, will surely remember that I can't litter my beloved friend Shreeman Naaraayan's residence. If I allow bad thoughts to clutter my mind, then wouldn't it foolish to believe that Shree Nrsimha stays with me to protect me from any kind of evil.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Next time before I let my mind to wander, will surely remember that I can't litter my beloved friend Shreeman Naaraayan's residence.
    OT

Namaskar Aniruddh. This phrase "my beloved friend Shreeman Narayana" that i have seen in some/most of your posts, makes me smile and feel very happy inside. No idea why. Please convey my humble saashtaanga pranaam-s to your dear friend.

Jai Shri Rama !
    Last edited by ShriBala; 22 March 2013 at 01:51 PM.

I will definitely try to limit the nasty words coming out of my mouth. There are several nasty words that I simply will not say. The F word and the S word are used most commonly but I will never, ever use the C word or the M.F word.

Such disrespectful words, they make me feel dirty just to think about them!

Namaste Sri Bala,

Your words have made profound impact on me. Will PM my feelings later today.
    Glad that my way of thinking made you happy. But it is my friend Shreeman Naaraayan's leela.
    I don't remember exactly when and how I started seeing a friend in him. But he always made it a point to be my side, when there won't be any one to share my burden.
    I
    Anirudh...

Pranaam Ji

First of all I don't think there is any hate towards converts in my area, or traditionally where I'm from (India).

Many a times, these days, I see white women and men, who are roaming around, perhaps with a tika or a bindi on their heads, perhaps visiting a temple, sometimes even wearing Indian clothes. I think most Indians are curious, and actually happy to see such a thing.

In India, I think most people would see foreigners as 'guests' instead of 'outsiders'. That is Indian tradition. Indians go to great lengths to please their guests.

As for me, personally, I have no opinion. Though I have often wondered, how the different teachings manifest in people who are not traditionally Hindu. How do they react to them? How do they implement them? For us, we have grown up with these stories, this culture, and this lifestyle. It is something that is embossed into our everyday life.

These things, we often take for granted. Maybe that is why, you were on the receiving end, as many would have their feathers ruffled, on seeing something take interest in something they consider as 'theirs'.

Jai Shiv Shambho!

First, please explain how marrying a 'native Hindu' is BARBARIC?! That sounds so racist it is horrible!

Second, converts are needed in Hinduism. And yes, there will be odd glances and comments directed towards non Indian converts. But don't take that for hate. Take it as a challenge. Show us wrong and that you are here to be a Hindu for life. We have had many experiences where many convert and then convert to something else after a few years or so. This is frightening because our faith is being used as shoes (ex. after sometime you get new shoes because your old shoes are worn out but Hindu Dharma is eternal not shoes so don't treat it as a riding the bandwagon experience then taking a train to the nearest town - this would be a metaphor for all the gullible people). It makes Indian Hindus feel as if their religion is being used as a buffer and being taken advantage of.

If a western convert can stay Hindu till death, that is proving all the haters and disbelievers wrong. The reason that converts sometimes are not taken seriously is because we don't know if you are being serious or just trying to belong to something.

All in all: stay true and stay strong if you really mean it when you say that you are Hindu. Converts out of Hinduism are seen in a very negative light so be careful and show us your commitment.

ps - someone please answer why she says we are barbaric because we are native hindus?

jai indra dev

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I would have no problem telling 75% of converts to bugger of, the other 25% can prove themselves through agni pariksha.

Just kidding, of course. Some questions I'd consider before considering someone to be sincere:

-Do they bring their old religious baggage to Hinduism.
    -Do they belief that all religions lead to the same goal and Hinduism is just one valid path out of many.
    -Do they baptise any saint or religious figure, foreign or Indian, as one of the avatars of "Brahman."
    -Do they have true faith in Hinduism or are they coming to Hinduism with a lot of scepticism.
    -Are they practising Hindus or only showing academic, theoretical or historical interest.
    -Is their interest genuine or just a passing curiosity.
    -Are they truly interested in learning what the Hindu traditions and scriptures teach or are they just happy swallowing any information about Hinduism that makes them feel better.
    -Is their largest source of information about Hinduism the teachings of some neo Hindu guru(s).
    -Do they heavily psychologise religion which is a symptom of post enlightenment rationalism. In other words, do they think religion is just a method people have created over time to deal with their mental problems and all religious practices and beliefs are nothing but forms of psychotherapy.
    -Do they make up their own deities, rituals, practices and ideologies.
    -Do they use Hindu knowledge, and eastern knowledge in general, only to supplement their belief in western occult, esoteric, new thought, new age, self help or pagan worldviews.
    -Do they think they are Hindu, because 1) they can stand on their head and twist sidewards, 2) give their partners candle light massages or 3) believe they are the reincarnation of Queen Elizabeth the first.
    -Are they financially motivated to teach or practice Hinduism.
    -Are they proponents of extreme non violence and do they criticize Hindus for any form of assertiveness against terrorism, Islamic or otherwise.
    -Do they constantly complain about Hindu social issues like the caste system.
    -When they read the Ramayana for example, does their heart fill with devotion or do they become angry at Rama or Valmiki, because the scripture doesn't fit their own utopian ideals of social justice.
    -Do they show reverence towards Hindu symbols and representations of deities or do they wear pictures of Lakshmi, Kali and Krishna on their panties, slippers and toilet seats. Do they step on Hindu murtis or do they try to french kiss Buddha statues in or around temples.

I think this is too much to expect from a new comer. You mean to say that untill and unless one is culturally and anti-other religions they cannot be considered Hindu. You are dividing the whole section as either zero or 100. Nothing in between.

If this is so most of the urban Indians will fall out of this category. How many of the present day children have read Ramayana in India.

It is because of this non accomodative mentality, we are today the one of the most racist countries, where we frown upon people from other countries as they try to come into the hinduism.

You are thoroughly mistaken between the culture and hinduism. Hinduism is a knowledge which can pervade any culture. It is not limited to culture of India only. There are Hindus in every states, every countries - with different culture. There are violent people in hinduism and sober saints in hinduism. Hinduism is an inclusive religion or philosophy. You are trying to make it exclusive.

The more we behave like other religion people with exclusive mindset, we will be like them only. And once we are like them, they have better ways to prove that their religion is superior.

This negates the basic theory of hinduism. Hinduism deals with mind and consciuosness mainly. Mind does not have country or skin or colour. They are same everywhere.

Please refrain from embarrasing fellow hindus.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Namaste

I'm too stupid to take sides on this, and that's not what I am doing, but from the perspective of a Western Hindu, I think everything Sahas said is full of wisdom and actually what is minimally expected. What Sahas says makes sense to me. Westerners like me need to have the perspective that Hinduism is given and not just something you "become". If you do not love and respect the givers (including Devas and Devi), you are a fake.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

I'm too stupid to take sides on this, and that's not what I am doing, but from the perspective of a Western Hindu, I think everything Sahas said is full of wisdom and actually what is minimally expected. What Sahas says makes sense to me. Westerners like me need to have the perspective that Hinduism is given and not just something you "become". If you do not love and respect the givers (including Devas and Devi), you are a fake.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam:

Makes sense to me too.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information