Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Converts and hate

Re: Converts and hate

Namaste,

Progress on the spiritual path and dietary habits get synchronized. Pushing oneself to do something that one is not mentally and spiritually ready for creates problems. But as one's devotion increases, knowing the difference between satvic and tamsic diets will propel the human tastes in the right direction.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...2&postcount=18

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
    Most of what I've read in this thread seems directed towards the Caucasian converts(forgive me if I'm wrong). But what is the reaction to converts of other races? I am of African descent.

Namaste Philomath,

At my old temple there was one older woman of African descent who I occasionally saw attend. She was quiet and kept to herself but she was always smiling. It's hard to say what Indian Hindus' reaction to her was because she so seldom was there when I was. But I never really saw anyone approach her out of curiosity.What have your experiences been?

Shanti
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

I admire the sentiment and I agree, there should be no 'Jesus in Hinduism'.....so I shall forget what happened to me during meditation once upon a slow and meaningful recitation of The Lord's Prayer...

I also admire and respect Jesus as a Hindu and I cannot help that. When my heart is involved, I have no say in it.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Namaste,

If you can, please "absolve" yourself of your Christian past and its influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
    Most of what I've read in this thread seems directed towards the Caucasian converts(forgive me if I'm wrong). But what is the reaction to converts of other races? I am of African descent.
    Namaste,

Welcome to HDF, Philomath. To me, if you truly converted, you are my Hindu brother/sister. Skin color is too materialistic to be kept as an identifying factor of one's self. To me, the attributes of your soul and character matter. I could care less about your ethnicity nor skin color. What religion did you convert to Hinduism from?

Paijavana

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums by the way. I think your situation is quite unusual. At least in my experience it is. Caucasian Hindus are rare, but African American Hindus are even rarer. Of course there is Swami Gahananda (probably wrong spelling) in Ghana who has done a wonderful job there. I'm also guessing ISKCON had or still has a few African American devotees.

In my travels, I have yet to encounter any African American devotees at any of the Indian built temples, (or Chinese for that matter).

As far as hate goes, it knows no boundaries and can go in all directions. but then so can Love. Within Hinduism, in my experience it is about 99.9 % of the latter. The 0.1% do tend to make noise though.

Aum namasivaya
    Namaste and thanks for the welcome

Yes from what I know African converts to Hinduism are quite rare, as I've yet to meet another besides myself. Though I do know that Ghana seems to have a flourishing Hindu community led by Swami Ghanananda Saraswati(your spelling wasn't too far off lol). Well that's good to know that it's not a common experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    Namaste Philomath,

At my old temple there was one older woman of African descent who I occasionally saw attend. She was quiet and kept to herself but she was always smiling. It's hard to say what Indian Hindus' reaction to her was because she so seldom was there when I was. But I never really saw anyone approach her out of curiosity.What have your experiences been?

Shanti
    Namaste

I haven't had any real life experiences with other Hindus yet. I've only come into to contact with Hinduism and studying it for the past 5 months. I do intend to visit a temple though as soon as I find some transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Namaste

Welcome to HDF, Philomath. To me, if you truly converted, you are my Hindu brother/sister. Skin color is too materialistic to be kept as an identifying factor of one's self. To me, the attributes of your soul and character matter. I could care less about your ethnicity nor skin color. What religion did you convert to Hinduism from?

Paijavana
    Namaste

I am a convert from Christianity though before that I had a short 7 month stint as an Atheist.

Admin Note
    Please stop talking about non hindu religions and fictional characters on HDF.

Thank you
    satay

Thread Information