Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSHO Meditation advice

OSHO Meditation advice

Namaste all,

I've been very curious about some of these OSHO meditations. I'm not sure if these are even described in hindu scriptures at all, or if they are even effective. Though they look fun and very easy to do. Could someone shed some light on it? They are not conventional at all and involve dancing...

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing the Kundalini and the Dynamic Meditation. Described on his site. Please take a look. If you click meditation on the left, you can see the other ones.

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Me...Menu=Kundalini

Re: OSHO Meditation advice

Namaste,

If they are helpful to you, go for them.

One of the basic teachings of OSHO was that if something was coming in the way of your meditation, do it, and do it with wild abandon till you are satiated with it. Only then you can get back to meditating seriously. With that as one his basic principles, he advocated and indulged in uncontrolled sex with all the commune members. So, at a personal level, I tend to shy away from his "teachings". But if he floats your boat, who am I to argue!

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

If they are helpful to you, go for them.

One of the basic teachings of OSHO was that if something was coming in the way of your meditation, do it, and do it with wild abandon till you are satiated with it. Only then you can get back to meditating seriously. With that as one his basic principles, he advocated and indulged in uncontrolled sex with all the commune members. So, at a personal level, I tend to shy away from his "teachings". But if he floats your boat, who am I to argue!

Pranam.
    Yeah, I heard about the sex thing. Not sure how I feel about that. Thanks for the advice. Asides from his personal views, what do you feel about the actual meditation discourses. Do they help in any way? As the traditional meditations do.

I have a policy against taking meditation advice from sexual miscreants.

I think Osho has the dubious distinction of being the first "Hindu guru" to be deported from the United States for criminal activity. I really have no idea why anyone would go to him for any sort of spiritual insight.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Gosh Icy, I know you will, but please be careful. Sexual abandon in this day and age is a death sentence with HIV and AIDS, what to speak of other horrors. On a lighter note, don't be surprised if you happen to go to one of their "dance events" that some odd person who stinks is going to come up behind you and try and pull your pants down, and you get in a fist fight trying to get the heck out of there by punching some butch lady blocking your extreme exit left.

Warning to others - I tried to play the dance video from my cell phone, instead it would not play but did a download a video and crashed my phone.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: I don't think Osho ever claimed to be a Hindu. As far as I remember, he was pretty critical of us, and all other 'organized' religions.

Aum Namasivaya

Osho was a very controversial figure. He did abuse Hindu religious teachings for his personal gains. He is not the only person who has done this, but this is a sensitive topic for many people on the forum.

If you are interested in a moving meditation, there are forms of yoga that use movement, like Ashtanga Vinyasa which was first taught by Vamana Rishi. This is a very athletic type of yoga and may not be suited for everyone. The Tibetan yogi's practiced a milder of form moving yoga, like Yantra Yoga. The Chinese practised even more milder forms of movement based meditation like Qigong. (The legend in China goes that Qigong was brought to China by Bodhidharma, a Buddhist monk travelling from India.)

Pick any of the above meditations and don't even think about following some neo-Tantric weirdo.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 24 March 2013 at 09:54 PM.

Many say that he is an impostor as we have some evidence. But his teachings are not bad. I have seen some of his videos he is an ardent atheist but he believed in Sat-chit-ananda ('Bliss'). I really wonder if he got liberated

IcySupreme - if the meditation is working for you then you should follow that. Meditation is about cleansing the mind and seeing reality as is. You can measure that with any guru's teachings.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    Namaste all,

I've been very curious about some of these OSHO meditations. I'm not sure if these are even described in hindu scriptures at all, or if they are even effective. Though they look fun and very easy to do. Could someone shed some light on it? They are not conventional at all and involve dancing...

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing the Kundalini and the Dynamic Meditation. Described on his site. Please take a look. If you click meditation on the left, you can see the other ones.

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Me...Menu=Kundalini
    Namaste.

If you look beyond the man and to the message, most of Osho's teachings relate closer to Zen Buddhism than to Hinduism.

I like the whole 'spontaneity' bit and the 'be here now' philosophy.

I was a lay disciple of Osho way back when...when he was called Bhagavan Sri Rajneesh and we all had to dress in colours of the setting sun.

I left long before all the scandal broke out....when 'shaktipat' was given freely, without any work for it. It seemed just too 'commercial'...too 'easy'.

I have the same feeling towards the Sahaja Yoga movement and all their 'cool breeze' stuff.

I guess I am just too old and cynical now.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste icy,

There is a book called "the book of secrets". It contains osho discourses on all meditation techniques from tantra. These techniques were spoken by lord shiva to ma Parvati. It is a great book to have in your library. I think if you look hard enough you might even find it online. If you are interested in reading osho take on the techniques, I recommend this book. It is a bit pricey and took me a couple of years to decide because of price if I really wanted it in my library or not.

Check it out.
    satay

Thread Information