Thread: Holi March 27 2013

Holi March 27 2013

Last edited by Believer; 25 March 2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added the wikipedia link to Holi

Re: Holi March 27 2013

Namaste All HDF

Yes, happy Holi to All!

Namaste Believer

Can you explain the meaning of Holi to Hindus?

I know Krsna celebrated it!

Jai (Jay) Shree Krishna

Om Namah Sivaya

Holi : bringing sublime joy in life
    - Pujya Bapuji

The Sanskrit word parva means junction of two periods of time. The time, when winter is over and summer is about to begin, is junction time. Holi falls at this junction time in the prime (middle) of spring season. It brings joy and cheer and sends the blues away. It inspires one to discharge higher duty. Holi is an ancient festival. It is full of gaiety and also the intoxication of the spring season. It has sloth as well as playfulness. The gaiety, joy, colour of the Palash flowers and japa of Aum will bring the joy and bliss of Prahlad in your life.

Let Prahlad be the ideal for your life.

The one who has filled his heart with the Knowledge and love that makes the whole world blissful is known as Prahlad. The one whose eyes radiate divine love, whose voice is full of divine joy, whose life is overflowing with divine joy, is Prahlad. I want your life full of divine joy.
    A question was posed to the assembly of gods, ‘Who is the pious soul on the earth, who is ever full of eternal joy; who considers God to be his own and pleasure and pain to be but a dream; who sees the world as a play of God and thus remains ever contented?’
    The answer came, ‘Prahlad.’
    ‘What made Prahlad so great?’
    ‘Satsang made him great. Satsang makes the intellect endowed with discrimination which is imbued with the Knowledge imparted by the Guru and gets established in Truth. You too should, like Prahlad, seek refuge in a Sadguru who has dyed his garment of heart in the colour of Self-Knowledge to dye your heart in the same colour.

The purpose of Dhulendi (sprinkling colours on one another)

Holi celebrations include dancing, fun cheerfulness and gaiety. But if dancing and fun lead lovers to ruinous ‘love’ or people throw mud and dirt on one another or drink bhang, it is perversion of the Holi.
    The aim of this festival is to elevate the dirty life of depravity through dyeing it in the colours of satsang. The real objective of Dhulendi is to dye the life in the colours of satsang and meditation to cleanse it off the mud of passions, desires, diseases and grief.
    The objective of sprinkling Palash colour is to increase vigour, vital force, and strength by balancing seven dhatus and colours in the body in order to attain the opulence of Self.

Play Holi with Palash flowers colours

Save your eyes, skin and face from toxic chemical colours and soak your skin a bit with Palash colours so that the balance of seven colours and seven dhatus is maintained. The colour of Palash flowers makes the body resistant to the sharp rays of the Sun that fall on the body in the season following this festival. It eradicates affictions caused by aggravated Vata and Pitta humours and increases resistance to diseases. Circum-ambulating the bonfire lit towards the conclusion of this festival of Holi 3 to 5 times gives the body heat that melts the plaques of cancer cells and thereby prevents occlusion of blood vessels and cancer. It also helps in productive cough by expectoration of sputum from the respiratory tract.

Vows for Health to be observed after Holi

Holi is realted not only to the stories of King Raghu, Hiranyakashyapu and Prahlad but also to change of seasons. Holi is also meant for removing your slothfulness and the by capering and jumping. It also aims at removing deposited kapha from the body. If you don’t play and jump in Holi, you become lazy and joyless.
    One should vow not to take much salt and take 20-25 leaves of neem with 2-3 black peppercorns for 20 days after Holi. This vow is for health. And one should also vow to have leass sexual intercourse for longevity. Roasted raw grams pacify the aggravated Kapha and Vata humours. Dates should not be consumed after the Holi.
    More important than physical health is mental health; to repose the mind in the Self. Bring the mind back to its essential nature. Just as the essential nature of a wave is water the essential nature of mind is Divine Peace, Divine Love and Yearning for the Diviene.

Dye yourself in spiritual colours

होली हुई तब जानिये, पिचकारी गुरुज्ञान की लगे |
    सब रंग कच्चे जाय उड़, एक रंग पक्के में रँगे |

‘Holi is celebrated in the real sense when you get sprinkled with the colour of Guru’s Knowledge. All other colours should fade out and the fast colour (of non-duality) should remain.’

Which is the fast colour? ‘I am Atman’ is the fast colour and ‘I am happy; I am unhappy; I am so and so; I am of so and so,’ are fading colours.
    These fading colours dye the mound but the witness to the mind is Pure Consciousness. It is the fast colour. Once one is dyed in that colour, one is never dyed or influenced by the colours of sense pleasures.
    Spirit of universal good and unwavering faith in God saved Prahlad from imminent death many times. Holika, who had a boon to remain unburnt evern in fire, tried to burn Prahlad, Prahlad, the icon of truth and firm faith escaped unscathed and Holika, the icon of deceit, duplicity, envy and hatred, etc. was burnt to ashes.
    So, you burn the demonic tendencies and traits of lust, anger, greed, delusion and envy, and fill your life with divine virtues of love for God, fortitude, tolerance, fearlessness, etc. Keeping unwavering faith in God even in the face of hurdles and difficulties like Prahlad, go across the ocean of samsara. May Holi be propitious for you!
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Out in North India (and among N.I's living in South India), holi is such a big festival! Somehow we South Indians do not celebrate it, don't know why? (Or is it just the Tamilians who don't celebrate it? Don't know..)
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

One of the main features of this blessed festival is to ask forgiveness from others about our transgressions, to embrace them and start a new chapter in our relationships. To that end, I apologize for my excesses and extend my hand in friendship to all on this grand spring festival of Holi. May we all be at peace!

Happy Holi to all.

Pranam.

Happy Holi everyone!

Dhyandev, thanks for that explanation. I have often been wondering just what Holi is all about, seeing tourists get covered in coloured powder by strangers wishing each other well. Seems such a happy and joyous occasion!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

To my brothers and sisters of HDF, wishing you all a very happy and blessed Holi!

Jai Sri Krishna!
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information