Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Negative Emotions

On Negative Emotions

Namaste
    I personally have a lot of trouble with negative emotions like anger and jealousy. I find myself angry and offended more often than i should be. i really wish i could change this about myself but i don't know where to start. As far as jealousy, i get jealous even of my friends hanging out with other friends besides me. I know that it makes me and my friends miserable. i am seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist but what are some spiritual things i can do to help out with changing these feelings?

Re: On Negative Emotions

Namaste Catnip,

Honestly, aside from professional guidance, I have found that just plain old hard work over a long period of time is what helps the best. What do I mean by that? Well, mostly positive self talk.

It's a matter of stopping yourself and recognizing the negative feelings you are having and talking yourself out of it. This sounds arduous and possibly doomed to fail - and you may find that in fact it doesn't work the first several times you try it. But it's a long process of re-training your mind to feel and cope differently with negative emotions.

Basically you distract yourself with questions. "Why do I feel this way? How is this helping me? what am I getting out of feeding these emotions?"

Just recognizing the moments when you are feeding negative emotions can be a step towards disarming them. Rather then saying "I'm just not going to be jealous today" (Which would never work), you acknowledge that you will feel whatever you feel, but you will nurture awareness and attempt to talk yourself down from it in the moment.

Other then that, It's a very personal situation. Everyone's psychological makeup is complex. I hope this helps a little though.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Namaste
    I personally have a lot of trouble with negative emotions like anger and jealousy. I find myself angry and offended more often than i should be. i really wish i could change this about myself but i don't know where to start. As far as jealousy, i get jealous even of my friends hanging out with other friends besides me. I know that it makes me and my friends miserable. i am seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist but what are some spiritual things i can do to help out with changing these feelings?
    Vannakkam: I don't really think HDF is the place to seek guidance. We're not professionals on this regard.

Still, have you tried dumping your problems at the feet of Ganesha? If there were to be any divine intervention, that's who could help. I know a few Hindus who's 'counselor' is Ganesha, but that is often after they have established a real good working relationship with Him.

Of course there is also the possibility that Hindu devotion will intensify the situation. Maybe a walk in the park would be more suitable.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

in my experience so far, Ganesha seems to like me so that may work... but i could get to know him better first. i know that this forum isn't full of professionals, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips from personal experience. As i said, i am working on this with professionals, but they can't handle the spiritual side of things (they're not hindus)

in my experience so far, Ganesha seems to like me so that may work... but i could get to know him better first. i know that this forum isn't full of professionals, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips from personal experience. As i said, i am working on this with professionals, but they can't handle the spiritual side of things (they're not hindus)
    Namaste,

Like most others here, I'm not a professional. But I've laid my problems at Ganesha's feet before--laid them and left them there--and it helped a lot.

Spiritual principles can help improve your life, though of course you should keep working with your professionals.

Anyway, I used to be an extremely angry, negative person. With patience, hard work, and many blessings, I've improved, but it hasn't happened quickly. I imagine it may be similar with you.

Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by SatBast View Post
    Namaste,

Like most others here, I'm not a professional. But I've laid my problems at Ganesha's feet before--laid them and left them there--and it helped a lot.

Spiritual principles can help improve your life, though of course you should keep working with your professionals.

Anyway, I used to be an extremely angry, negative person. With patience, hard work, and many blessings, I've improved, but it hasn't happened quickly. I imagine it may be similar with you.

Be well.
    Namaste SatBast

You have given me hope, Thank you i will definitely try this, how do i go about it, through a meditation?

Namaste SatBast

You have given me hope, Thank you i will definitely try this, how do i go about it, through a meditation?
    Namaste,

No problem. ^_^

I'm not sure there's any one particular way you have to go about it (those more experienced might have something to say). Sometimes I've just offered a little water and then talked. Other times I'd meditate and chant a little bit before talking.

Oh yeah, and I try to remember to say thank you afterwards. Sadly, I'm not always good at that.

Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by SatBast View Post
    Namaste,

No problem. ^_^

I'm not sure there's any one particular way you have to go about it (those more experienced might have something to say). Sometimes I've just offered a little water and then talked. Other times I'd meditate and chant a little bit before talking.

Oh yeah, and I try to remember to say thank you afterwards. Sadly, I'm not always good at that.

Be well.
    Namaste,

I can definitely do things like that! and i always say thank you!

Thank you

Namaste Catnip,

The best thing I can suggest is to do a regular practice of nama-japa. Although some would advise against this, doing japa when such negative emotions arise could definitely help.

Regular, devoted nama-japa can have a tremendously uplifting effect upon one's consciousness. Best wishes.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste Catnip,

The best thing I can suggest is to do a regular practice of nama-japa. Although some would advise against this, doing japa when such negative emotions arise could definitely help.

Regular, devoted nama-japa can have a tremendously uplifting effect upon one's consciousness. Best wishes.

Jai Sri Ram
    Namaste,
    How exactly do i do nama japa, i looked it up and i saw that it is repetition of god's name. How would i do this for Ganesha?
    i've been doing japa mala of "om gam ganapataye namaha" and "om shanti shanti shanti" as much as i could

Thread Information