Thread: A Prayer To Lord Shiva

A Prayer To Lord Shiva

Namaste.

Sometimes, one's "life" comes first in that there are decisions/choices that must be made and we need time to think.

Other times, situations beyond our control can keep us quite 'busy' for a while, such as moving residence, getting fired, breaking up with a 'significant other', death of a relative etc. Lord Shiva presents us with many challenges in life, but the biggest one is to remain in remembrance/awareness of Him.

For the past month, I haven't done my worship, nor even given it any thought beyond the 5-10 minute prayer I would normally do before going to sleep for the evening (if I wasn't too exhausted and just slept it off anyway).

I also don't want life to 'take over' again, even though any major life change requires significant emotional investment.

Now, I am starting to feel a bit 'guilty' about it all. I am feeling the pull of His Love within again.

So, I pray into that feeling and it's like:

"I am sorry for ignoring You this past month, Lord Bholenath. You sure gave me a lot of work to do this time, didn't You?"

"All I'm asking is that You help me do this, to make the work go faster, so that I can spend more time in my worship of You".

"It's not like You don't understand what I am saying here. I am Your mindless puppet, so, of course I am going to forget about You from time to time".

"You find this all to be quite amusing, don't You, dear Lord? You must show me how much through Your Darshan one day..then I'll make sure my memory will improve".

"Please help me through this major transition in my life, Shiva. I am apprehensive to know what the future has in store for me but at least I am re-assured to know my life will always have You in it, even if my mind often forgets it does".

"Later on, I also need to get You to teach me how 'my mind' can be 'mine".

"Aum Namah Shivaya".
    Last edited by Necromancer; 28 March 2013 at 01:23 AM.

Re: A Prayer To Lord Shiva

Namaste Necromancer

First, let me make clear I am not criticizing you, it seems you might be having a lot of troubles. For me, I never ask Shiva these sorts of questions. I am just excited to have communion, that is the Bhakti perhaps. I am lucky not to have problems that "get to me". But if there is a distraction from being a happy Hindu, then I like to have communion, bhajan, Darshan, go to Temple, read Ramayan, and so on, and just for the joy of it and not to dwell on those other things.

I am not authorized to tell you anything. But ... Do you play guitar perhaps? I do - just sing your own song to Shiva. Well, your song is probably another's song, perhaps a known bhajan, or Om Namah Sivaya Om Namah Sivaya Sivaya Namah Om Namah Sivaya.

Shree Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram
    Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram
    Raghupati Raghava RAJA RAM
    Pathitha Pavana Sita Ram

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste.

Of course I was singing bhajans/kirtans and writing poetry and the like. Maybe not as much as I should be to express that side of it...I shall do more of that besides just meditation, yoga and puja. Thank you for that reminder.

I also just wanted to give the example that 'parroting Sanskrit Mantras' is sometimes not the only way to 'commune' or whatever one calls that.

If there are any other 'intentions' here, they are totally unintentional.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I am not authorized to tell you anything. But ... Do you play guitar perhaps? I do - just sing your own song to Shiva. Well, your song is probably another's song, perhaps a known bhajan, or Om Namah Sivaya Om Namah Sivaya Sivaya Namah Om Namah Sivaya.

Shree Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram
    Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram
    Raghupati Raghava RAJA RAM
    Pathitha Pavana Sita Ram

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste. I almost forgot to reply to this part:

Om Namah Shivaya
    Rudrashtakam
    Shivashtakam
    Lingashtakam
    Kala Bhairavashtakam
    Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra

Atmashtakam -"Chidananda Rupam Shivoham Shivoham"

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Namaste again and sorry about the triple-post combo.

Since the age of 11, Lord Shiva has been my father/mother, teacher, friend, lover, angel, god...*whatever fits*

For those of you who do speak/understand Sanskrit.

Sometimes, when my mind is restless for meditation, I shall sit down comfortably (with emphasis on that word) and start chanting the Namakam and Chamakam, very slow and rhythmically, focusing on each syllable and keeping Lord Shiva in my heart/mind. I usually can only make it half way through the Chamakam.

I was 'given' a Mantra once...by Swami Chidananda of Rishikesh...it's actually a mantra in praise of Divine Mother Gauri. Swami Chidanada-ji said "If you want to get to Lord Shiva, you must first go through Divine Mother" (which left me wondering why it is that God must always have an 'escrow service').

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information