Thread: Mahadev

Mahadev

I really pondered upon in my mind and all over the internet, trying to choose what to write upon in my next blog post. A plenty of symbols yet to be uncovered, scores of traditions and customs yet to be analyzed, and hundreds of historical marvels yet to be investigated. I was still confused when a notion struck me hard enough. Indian mythology and Ancient Indian imagery has been resplendent of symbolic references and scientific analogies, OM being one of the most multifaceted and supreme out of all these concepts. What about someone so celestial, so legendary, and such supreme, that horde of such multifaceted symbols form small pieces of the complete ascendancy of his divinity. A supreme figure, each and every attribute of whom speaks volumes of scientific and symbolic attributes, Shiva.

Symbolically, Shiva's supreme form has volumes to speak of.

Unclad body smeared with ashes: This attribute represents the transcendental aspect of his nature, he is above all physical phenomenon. The cemetery ash symbolizes him to be the God of destruction, that Shiva is beyond the realities of life and death. Scientifically, ash is the residue of burning any fuel. Hydrogen fuel burns to become helium ash. Helium burns to become carbon ash. Carbon ash burns to become oxygen ash. In short, every element matter is made up of, is ash. Shiva smearing ash on his body would signify the entire existence. A person smearing ash on his body, thus has spiritual significations, him being unattached to anything earthly.

Matted Hairs: The flow of his matted hair represents wind or Vayu, a subtle form of breath, Shiva thus being Lord of all living beings. Each strand of his hair, also denote desires, and he has knotted them together, keeping them in control, thus asking all his devotees to control their desires. As per legends, he has controlled the fiery water of Ganga in his matted locks. The three matted locks on the head convey the idea that integration of the physical, mental and spiritual energies is the ideal of yoga.

Sacred Ganga: Ganga, owing to its mystical healing attributes, thanks to the presence of certain bacteriophages, denotes fertility, knowledge, peace and prosperity. Ganga flowing from his hairs denotes Shiva as the master of knowledge and prosperity. One of the most sacred rivers in mythology, Ganga gains further ascendancy, being in the matted hairs of Shiva. The water is found to be resplendent of healthy minerals and antiseptical attributes, and is thus considered healthy.

The Third Eye: Symbolically, the Sun is said to be his right eye, the moon being his left and the fire his third. The two eyes indicate his activity in the physical world, while the third eye is the eye of spirituality, one who sees beyond the obvious. His third eye can look beyond obvious and annihilate any negative energy. The scientific implications of the third eye are rather interesting.
    As per a few notions, ancient humans used to have an actual third eye in the forehead. With time, this eye sunk deep into the forehead, into what we know today as the Pineal gland. Proper activation of this gland can help in proper meditation, spirituality and intelligence. Interestingly, Sodium Fluoride destroys the Pineal Gland, and aerated drinks like Pepsi, Coke etc. comprise of Sodium Fluoride. Pineal Gland is also known as the "All Knowing eye" in certain traditions, a symbol of Illuminati

Half Open Eyes: Shiva's closed eyes denote destruction and mayhem. His open eyes denote creation of a new life. His half-open eyes denote that the worldly affairs are still in progress, without a beginning and without an end.

Crescent Moon: The moon is the measure of time, and a new moon being on his head denote his control over time. The time is a part of his divinity and not the other way round, the reason why moon is not wore on his body, but just as an ornament. It also denotes cool mind and foresightedness, if a decision is taken with a calm mind, the results are mostly positive.

Neelkanth: Symbolically, the blue throat denotes him being willing to undergo any distress for the sake of happiness of others. The blue color symbolizes poison or negative thoughts. Thoughts, which should neither be digested or spitted out, but kept temporarily, to neutralize at an appropriate time. Think of anger as an example of slow poison. Expressing our anger or outrage not only causes social disharmony, it can also rupture a heart blockage and precipitating a heart attack or brain hemorrhage. Suppressed anger, on the other hand releases harmful chemicals in the body causing acidity, asthma and even blockage of blood vessels. Only a balanced positive alteration of anger is helpful.

The Snake around the neck: Shiva is shown with a snake coiled three times around the neck, each coil representing the past, the present and the future. Shiva, again, wears the snake as an ornament, signifying he is above time and death. The snake also denotes dormant energy of a man, also called Kundalini energy.

Kundalas: Interestingly, Shiva is always shown with a larger Kundala in the right ear and a smaller in left. The right Kundala denotes the male attributes of existence while the left Kundala denotes the female aspects. He wearing them together denotes male-female equality in the universe, akin to Shiva-Shakti.

Rudraksha: As per legends, Rudraksha means eye of Shiva. Literally, Rudra means uncompromising and strict, and Aksha means eye, Rudraksha thus denotes uncompromising attributes of Shiva. Scientific studies have revealed that wearing Rudraksha beads relieves a person from stress, depression and anxiety. Rudraksha also symbolizes being close to nature and healthy living.

Damaru: The hourglass-shaped drum kept near Shivam, when shaken, produces a sound called Nada. Nada is said to be the cosmic sound of AUM. When a person goes deep into meditation, he experiences the same Nada sound deep in his consciences. As per a lot of legends, Nada is the source of all creation, a fact well explored in my previous blog The Multifaceted OM.

Such is the divinity of Shiva, and such is the ascendancy he commands, I have been able to compile only a few of his attributes from scores of other symbols and concepts. The list, though may sound quite exhaustive, is actually not even close to completion. The symbols that I have chosen, though, are more of his famous and better known symbols.

Ancient Indians, particularly those of Vedic times, used to assign healthy and beneficial customs and practices to Gods and other deities. This helped the general public perform those practices as part of their daily living, thus helping them live a healthier life.

In the past few days, I have seen Shiva anarchy on a regular growing spree. Modern people are more comfortable connecting to Shiva and his attributes. Add to that the earthly attributes of Shiva, him being consumer of opium, which as per legends, he did to keep his anger in check. The earthly attributes make Shiva even more close to his devotees. Successes of recent works like “The Immortals of Meluha” or “Devon ke Dev Mahadev” only confirm this theory. I also hope this post is as much liked by you much more than previous ones and you keep showering your appreciation in form of comments, page views and social media presence.
    With hopes that you keep liking my posts, time for me to say good bye.

Har Har Mahadev!!!!

Re: Mahadev

Namaste

There is some very nice information here about Lord Shiva, thanks fo sharing.

However, where is there a sacred text, Ved, Purana quote, where Shiva is fed opium to "calm the destructive power of Bhole Shankar"? Yes, I know some devotees use a drink, some very few temples offer opium SEEDS, but this idea might be folk tale or in the propaganda interests of opium farmers and nothing more. Please do not say it is Soma. Just want some facts on this. Also, Garuda eats snakes, but that does not mean we should.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vanakkam,

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    but this idea might be folk tale or in the propaganda interests of opium farmers and nothing more. Please do not say it is Soma. Just want some facts on this. Also, Garuda eats snakes, but that does not mean we should.

Om Namah Sivaya
    I agree with this.

Many people (few of sanatana dharma faith surprisingly) told me how great is the relationship between Lord Siva and drugs. Some even said that Soma in the veda is in fact drug and that all the Devas were high on it...Backing up their claims only with pseudo-new-age-scholars that have obviously not read or understood hindu scriptures and only put their views of "how drugs are good for us" into a convenient background for them.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post

However, where is there a sacred text, Ved, Purana quote, where Shiva is fed opium to "calm the destructive power of Bhole Shankar"? Yes, I know some devotees use a drink, some very few temples offer opium SEEDS, but this idea might be folk tale or in the propaganda interests of opium farmers and nothing more. Please do not say it is Soma. Just want some facts on this. Also, Garuda eats snakes, but that does not mean we should.
    Namaste

I agree there are no sacred texts which claim Shiva ate opium, but this is a bare reality, that opium has, unfortunately, become a inseparable part of Shivratri celebrations in many places of the country. Add to that tales and legends associated with Shiva eating opium.
    I was faced with either negating the entire concept of Shiva consuming opium, or attach a viable meaning to why else would Mahadev consume some drug, which certain non-believers always make a point to question

Namaste.

I haven't heard about Lord Shiva eating opium before...eating datura?...yes. Smoking cannabis? yes. Opium is a new one on me.

As for Soma..those like Aldous Huxley said it comes from the fly agaric mushroom.

Soma is actually interpreted as an aspect of the moon...the cooling, feminine aspect of it.

Mahadeva has the moon on his head...this is to represent the 'ida' or the left, cooling nadi (nerve).

Soma is the nectar released during intense meditation when the fire of Kundalini Shakti needs to be cooled down before it reaches the Sahashrara.

That is what it's all about...nothing more.

Devotees apply their own meanings to it, saying 'Lord Shiva takes drugs and if He can, we can'. It is a convenient excuse (as mentioned above).

Since when does a Divine Being need to take a chemical, mood altering substance? Lord Shiva is the drug Himself.

He eats opium to quell His anger, you say? He must have been all out of it when he transformed into Bhairava and Veerabhadra.

It's a load of hogwash.....otherwise Lord Shiva would be called the 'master stoner', not the 'master Yogi'.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste
    Being on the same side of the court, and being birds of the same feather, I accept whatever faults you would find in the post, but I would also expect what you feel about the rest of the article, as the 'drug' part was really a small part of the entire write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post

Since when does a Divine Being need to take a chemical, mood altering substance? Lord Shiva is the drug Himself.

He eats opium to quell His anger, you say? He must have been all out of it when he transformed into Bhairava and Veerabhadra.

It's a load of hogwash.....otherwise Lord Shiva would be called the 'master stoner', not the 'master Yogi'.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Namaste
    And I completely agree to what you all say. I personally believe the legends associated with Shiva eating drugs is all hogwash, and more of a folktale than genuine text.

But, you would quite agree that drugs have been an inseparable part of Shivratri celebrations(man-made theories- of course) and the naysayers always try to raise a point bringing up drugs.
    Should I have written Shiva never consumed drugs? Maybe...as much as I wanted to. But, I thought its better to rationalize this rather than totally negate it. The thought itself was taken from some medical forums where some doctors have advised patients not to take drugs and that Mahadev took it only to quench his anger.

Scientists have been able to recreate the sound of the Big Bang!!!
    http://mashable.com/2013/04/16/big-bang-sound/

Whats worth noticing, however, is the persistent Damru-like sound from the 30 secs mark onward, in the background....taking a leaf out of what was written in Mahadev's Damaru connection in the opening topic

To all namaskaram.

Dear Sapansaxena, it so relishable to read the results of a devotee's sustained contemplation of the Lord's personal form. It has been my own experience that His sacred form is as revelatory as any scripture, and it is obvious from what you write that Mahadeva has affectionately intimated to you a variety of insights into His nature as well as the nature of the universe. I fully expect He will continue to teach you by this method.

As you have remarked, the attention of forum respondents has been drawn to a minor point of your essay, which is the question of whether Mahadeva partakes of psychotropic substances. Sorry to say, I too feel drawn into that conversation. Please forgive me for continuing the hijack of your substantial message. Does Shiva smoke dope? After giving it some thought, I consider everyone to be correct, those who say yes and those who say no. My reasoning is as follows:

The Supreme Self is said to engage in five categories of activity: (1) creation, (2) continuity, (3) termination, (4) Self-concealment, and (5) Self-revelation. The fifth process, the Self-revelation of the Supreme, is known as grace (anugraha). And it should be understood that divine grace only takes a particular form within the vector forces of time, place, and person.

In the present era the saving grace of the Supreme has kindly embodied itself as a charismatic yogi, crowned by the moon, Ganga rising from his dreadlocks, three eyes, serpent garland, a tigerskin wrapping his loins, holding a trident, etc. Furthermore, in the vector forces of circumstance, it has happened that a variety of stories have developed concerning this divine personality known as Shiva.

How did these stories arise? And how did this charismatic image arise? It was divine grace filtered through the dreams, visions, and creative imagination of certain individuals and certain cultural enclaves. To elaborate, for many centuries there had been groups of long-haired ascetics, more or less cultural drop-outs, members of a counter-culture, who performed their tapas in cemetery grounds. They dusted themselves in the ashes of the dead. Sometimes they made use of skeletal remains---like skulls used for meditation, ornamentation, or even eating bowls. Sometimes they carried weapons. Sometimes they kept dogs. And many of them used cannabis to relax their mind and make it more susceptible to subtle influences. These culturally influential ascetics naturally imagined Shiva as one of themselves, but infinitely greater. Whereas on the other hand, there were Shaiva householders whose lifestyle was conventional. Quite naturally, many of these people imagined Shiva as an upstanding family man, societal benefactor, and proponent of the Vedic heritage. Therefore, when they built temples for Shiva, they dressed His Emblem in all kinds of finery like a king.

So as to the question of whether Mahadeva smokes weed, I believe the best answer is the declaration of Bhagavan Sri Krishna who says (BG 4:11): Ye yathâ mâm prapadyante tâms tathâiva bhajâmyaham.

Sri Ramanuja comments as follows: “However people desire to take refuge with Me, that is, in whatever manner they imagine Me, and in accord with their desire—in that way, that is, in that human form, I show myself to them.”

Bam Bam Bhole! Pranam.

Mahadeva Smaranam OM namah shivaya
    Mrtyunjayaya rudraya neelakanthaya shambhave
    Amrteshaya sarvaya mahadevaya te namah

Quote Originally Posted by TrikonaBindu View Post
    To all namaskaram.

Dear Sapansaxena, it so relishable to read the results of a devotee's sustained contemplation of the Lord's personal form. It has been my own experience that His sacred form is as revelatory as any scripture, and it is obvious from what you write that Mahadeva has affectionately intimated to you a variety of insights into His nature as well as the nature of the universe. I fully expect He will continue to teach you by this method.

As you have remarked, the attention of forum respondents has been drawn to a minor point of your essay, which is the question of whether Mahadeva partakes of psychotropic substances. Sorry to say, I too feel drawn into that conversation. Please forgive me for continuing the hijack of your substantial message. Does Shiva smoke dope? After giving it some thought, I consider everyone to be correct, those who say yes and those who say no. My reasoning is as follows:

Namaste TrilokBindu,
    Every single post made by the devotees here and any other thread, marks a new learning for me. So, I will never have any complains or whims at all when I am being taught something new. Your post is again a revelation, and though I wrote a full article on Mahadev, I still am learning.
    I completely accept and comprehend your views and the sources you based your views on.
    As long as the posts are not completely negative in nature and dont shy away from making positive enhancements to our knowledge, I dont have any problem in you hijacking any part of the forum

Thread Information