Thread: sarpa yoga within the nābhasa family

sarpa yoga within the nābhasa family

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I wrote in another post,
    we will find sarpa yoga called out in the classics from varāha-mihira ācārya and others.
    Note that sarpa yoga does not = kālasarpa yoga, nor is it a sub set.
    See this HDF post for the kālasarpa yoga definition: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=11288

Sarpa yoga is defined as natural malifics occupying 3 angles or quadrants as they are called ( kendra-s). These kendra-s are considered the 4th, 7th and 10th bhāva-s ; some argue the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th as kendra-s.

As within jyotiṣh these yoga-s come in ~families~ for grouping and remembering purposes. This sarpa yoga is within the dala yoga group found within the nābhasa family of yoga-s.

Nābhasa is from nabhas meaning celestial , heavenly , appearing in the sky. This family is a grouping of 4:
    • āśraya yoga-s - 3 types
    • dala - 2 types, and sarpa yoga resides here
    • ākṛti yoga-s - 20 types
    • saṃkhyā yoga-s - 7 types

I will offer a few of the sarpa yoga-s that are called out in various texts, but thought to give you the definitions of the 4 different types, then go into some of the sarpa yoga-s in the next few posts.
    • āśraya -
      • a recipient , the person or thing in which any quality or article is inherent or retained or received
      • that to which anything is annexed or with which anything is closely connected or on which anything depends or rests
      • dwelling , asylum , place of refuge , shelter
      • help , assistance , protection
    • dala
      • a clump or heap
      • a piece torn or split off
      • this dala is also unclean gold
      • dividing , splitting
    • ākṛti
      • form , figure , shape , appearance , aspect
      • a well formed shape
    • saṃkhyā
      • a number, sum, total
      • to reckon or count up , sum up , enumerate , calculate or ~ count up~
    Within the dala yoga sub-set we have sarpa yoga-s and māla yoga-s.
    • māla = mālā = a wreath , garland; So, this we see as favorable yoga-s
    • sarpa = a snake , serpent , tortuous motion ; these are considered unfavorable yoga-s
    You recall from above that sarpa yoga is defined as natural malifics occupying 3 angles or quadrants as they are called ( kendra-s).
    These kendra-s are considered the 4th, 7th and 10th bhāva-s ; some argue the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th as kendra-s.

Now we add māla, and it is defned as benefics ( or benefical graha-s) residing in 3 angles or quadrants or kendra-s.

These two are the dala yoga sub-set within the family of nābhasa yoga-s. So, what kind of sarpa yoga-s are there? Let's review a few in the next post..

iti śivaṁ

words
    • The nābhasa yoga section is found in the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra, chapter 37.
      • within bṛhatjātakaṁ or bṛhat +jātakaṁ of varāha-mihira ācārya , is found in chapter 12.
    • grāhaka - one who seizes or takes captive
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: sarpa yoga within the nābhasa family

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I mentioned,
    Total of 32 yoga types within the nābhasa family of yoga-s; Note that these ~types~ can yield up to 1800 different varieties. So , 32 'branches' will yield 1800 blooms
    It is interesting to note that this 1800 comes by way of 12 houses x 150 subdivisions = 1,800 possible nābhasa yoga-s.
    According to the sage yavanācārya ( no relationship to me ) he tells us that this 150 = 127 + 23. That is, 127 saṃkhyā yoga combinations ( found in 7 saṃkhyā branches - see post 1) and 23 ākṛti yoga-s ( made up of 19 + 4 ); yet this ākṛti yoga is called out as 20 branches. Note that one yoga called gadā¹ yoga has 4 possibilites, so we get 19 + 4 = 23.

Now it is quite interesting to me that yavanācārya does not include dala and āśraya yoga-s in his total count. Why so ? I am still looking for the 'firm reasoning' behind this but will assume there is overlap that would be found in the saṃkhyā branches. This is my opinion as of late.

Another thing worthy of mention... We are talking of dala yoga-s of which sarpa yoga-s and māla yoga-s are sub-sets. Note that māla yoga is at times called out as sraja yoga and as śrīka yoga.
    • sraja also means 'garland' just as māla = garland.
    • śrīka = fortune , prosperity , wealth , beauty
    Let's talk of sarpa yoga and māla yoga
    • māla yoga is quite positive. As you recall it is benefics that are found in the kendra-s. They are ~natural~ benefics i.e. jupiter, mercury and venus. Note that the moon is not part of the mix.
    • sarpa yoga is considered inauspicious, and as aforementioned , it is the natural malifics that are found in the kendra-s i.e. saturn, mars and sun. Note that rāhu is not included in this group. Why so ? I will let the reader offer their opinions on this matter.
    What can one expect from these yoga-s ? And their timing ? Let's look at this in the next post.

iti śivaṁ

1. gadā - a mace , club , bludgeon ; sickness, dis-ease
    Last edited by yajvan; 05 April 2013 at 03:56 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Now what can one expect from these yoga-s ?

māla yoga
    The native with this yoga does not encounter obstacles. Actions are easily accomplished.
    The person has a natural attraction from others ( opposite sex). Happiness, splendor and comfort are not foreign to him or her.
    māla yoga is quite positive. As you recall it is benefics that are found in the kendra-s. They are ~natural~ benefics of jupiter, mercury and venus. Note that the moon is not part of the mix.

Now why is moon not part of this mix?
    It is due to the axiom that the moon is benefic in the bright half of the month (śukla pakṣa¹) and malific during the dark half (kṛṣṇa pakṣa) of the month.

sarpa yoga
    The native is crooked and cruel. Misery is part of his/her life. This yoga gives an adverse affect of disposition, character and vigor ( energy levels).
    Some call this śrīka-śasana or the destruction (śasana) of fortune, prosperity (śrīka).

Timing of dala yoga-s (daśā-s)
    We note the various daśā systems in jyotiṣh which suggests timing or when a certain yoga or graha becomes manifest or in full bloom. For these dala yoga-s ( according to the experts) they are active and engaged throughout all the daśā periods i.e. throughout one's life span.

iti śivaṁ

words

1. pakṣa - the half of a lunar month ; the first half from new moon growing to full moon was called pūrva or apūryamāṇa , later called śukla or śuddha ; the other half going from full to no moon is apara or apa-kṣīyamāṇa , later came to be known as kṛṣṇa or tāmisra ;
    These two halfs are called fortnights and are composed of 15 tithi-s or lunar days called prathamā.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I wrote,

sarpa yoga is considered inauspicious, and as aforementioned , it is the natural malifics that are found in the kendra-s i.e. saturn, mars and sun. Note that rāhu is not included in this group. Why so ? I will let the reader offer their opinions on this matter.

Are there any thoughts, ideas, of why rāhu is not included in this group ?

iti śivaṁ
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Why Rahu may NOT be included among malefics for Sarpa Yoga - My understanding

Namaste

Rahu can serve as a "break-through" agent of spiritual and psychological
    change in the early stages of authentic enlightenment processes;
    however Rahu's methods may not be agreeable
    to the common minds of human beings.
    Rahu can be a catalyst for urgently needed change.

Rahu can be the agent of much-needed change in
    overly rigid social systems, dysfunctional locked-in
    family behaviors, and loveless marriages

Rahu can provide the extra-marital affair that shocks partners
    into paying more attention to their communication before marriage collapses.

Rahu in 5 may allow a child adoption which has benefits for all involved.
    Rahu in 9 may provide wisdom via a foreign religion or guru-cult.

Rahu can disrupt fossilized, outdated, oppressive regimes.
    In a house where repression have become repetitively problematic,
    Rahu can be a positive force to break through
    habitually negative, depriving, fearful, or hateful mentalities.

Because of the above things, Rahu may NOT be called a malefic at all times...

Further, Rahu is very easy to please, by the way,
    because we may just chant 4 times, "Aum Kleem Kayaanaaya Namah".
    Whenever we need urgent change, we may just love and revere Him,
    that is all, His grace abounds in the moment...

Yajvanji, thanks for providing this opportunity to praise Rahu,
    my beloved powerful all-time accompanying friend...

Kindly provide the true reason as to why
    Rahu is not included among malefics for Sarpa Yoga.

Regards
    Ra K Sankar

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

sarpa yoga is considered inauspicious, and as aforementioned , it is the natural malifics that are found in the kendra-s i.e. saturn, mars and sun. Note that rāhu is not included in this group. Why so ?
    Why not rāhu ? Here is one point of view to consider:

This nābhasa family of yoga-s is sometimes called kha or khaga yoga-s. Khaga is defined as 'moving in the air' just as nābhasa is from nabhas meaning celestial , heavenly , appearing in the sky.
    We may feel the effects of r
    āhu but based upon the definition of nābhasa we do not see it appearing in the sky...It is beyond the physical eye.

• khaga - moving in the air
    • kha - vacuity , empty space , air , ether , sky ; another name of brahma
    • kha is rooted ( √ ) in khan - a cavity , hollow , cave , cavern , aperture
    • khakāminī - liking the sky
    • khecara - moving in the air, flying

iti śivaṁ
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

So, one may ask, what if beneifc and malifics occupy the kendra-s, what then ? This would be like māla yoga and sapra yoga combined.... what then occurs ?

This is called kamala yoga ; kamala = wealth, prosperity. It is also considered pale red ( pink) or rose-colored and is a name for the lotus flower.
    So, the definition is all the graha-s ( less ketu and rāhu) collecting in the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th houses ( bhāva-s), and called kamala yoga as aforementioned.

What then occurs ? Auspiciousness. The person is famous. Thus so, this yoga also goes by the name catúr-sagara yoga. We know catúr as '4' and this is defining the kendra houses 1,4,7 and 10 + sargara¹ = accompanied by praise.
    So, it is that yoga that associates all 4 (catúr) kendra-s that bring praise (sagara). Just as a castle of a king has 4 pillars to his castle which makes his domain strong, such is catúr-sagara yoga.

This begs the question - what is so favorable about the 4 kendra-s ? These kendra-s are responsible for sustenance and vital activity. More so, these kendra-s 1, 4 , 7 and 10 reside in the visible and invisible part of the zodiac (rāśicakra). Note the perfect balance of puruṣārtha , known as the 4 aims in life (puruṣa + ārtha = human + aim , purpose ) :
    • 1st house - dharma : discharge of duty to one's self, family, society ; one' self
    • 4th house - mokṣa : final emancipation ; also house of comfort and home
    • 7th house - kāma: desire and its fulfillment ; relationship with others

• 10th house - artha: acquirement of wealth ; profession and the highest point for the sun.
    The kendra-s support and maintain each other; these kendra-s are under the auspices of śrī viṣṇu.

iti śivaṁ

1. sagara = accompanied by praise, yet there is more. This is also the name of one kings of the solar race. Sovereign of ayodhyā ; son of bāhu. He is said to have been called sa-gara , as born together with a poison given to his mother by the other wife of his father ; he was father of asamañja by keśinī and of sixty thousand sons by su-mati.
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 April 2013 at 02:46 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Note the perfect balance of puruṣārtha , known as the 4 aims in life (puruṣa + ārtha = human + aim , purpose )

• 1st house - dharma : discharge of duty to one's self, family, society ; one' self
    • 4th house - mokṣa : final emancipation ; also house of comfort and home
    • 7th house - kāma: desire and its fulfillment ; relationship with others

• 10th house - artha: acquirement of wealth ; profession and the highest point for the sun.
    Now this 1 ,4, 7 and 10th bhāva ( house) combination is a big deal. Other yoga-s are predicated upon these 4. The one's I will call out will be ākṛti yoga-s ( see post 1 above for the definition). So , this is the structure for these yoga-s:
    • If all the graha-s ( all 7, without ketu and rāhu) occupy the 1st, 2nd , 3rd and 4th houses it is known as yūpa yoga.
      Yūpa = a post , beam , pillar ; a smooth post or stake; column erected in honor of victory , a trophy .
      The native with this yoga will have spiritual knowledge and will be interested in doing various sacrificial rites i.e. yajñā, pūja-s, and the like. This person will keep with the proper religious observances ( fasts, saṃskāra-s, etc) and be distinguished. This native is considered generous, and self-controlled.
    • If all the graha-s ( all 7, without ketu and rāhu) occupy the 4th, 5th , 6th and 7th houses it is known as iṣu yoga.
      Iṣu is an arrow, also a ray of light; it too is a name of a particular soma yajñā. The native with this yoga will be a maker of arrows ( so says mahāṛṣi parāśar). The person is to be a maker of unlawful weapons. This person does not hesitate of doing even the most meanest ( that which causes harm) actions to earn money. This person may be the head of a prison, or hunt animals, and have a violent nature. He/she will also be non-vegetarian.
      • This yoga is also known as śara yoga. Śara is defined as an arrow also; yet it is a bit more telling then iṣu. Śara is rooted in śṝ 'to rend' or destroy' and we how this applies to the native's behavior.
    • If all the graha-s ( all 7, without ketu and rāhu) occupy the 7th, 8th , 9th and 10th houses it is known as śakti yoga.
      Śakti is defined as power , ability , strength , might , effort , energy , capability . This native will be skillful in 'war' (meaning disputes) and firm. He/she will also be long lived. Yet according to the definition of this yoga the person will be berefit (lacking) wealth, mean, miserable , indolent and unhappy.

• If all the graha-s ( all 7, without ketu and rāhu) occupy the 10th, 11th , 12th and 1st houses it is known as daṇḍa yoga.
      Daṇḍa is a staff or scepter as a symbol of power and sovereignty ; it also suggests application of power , violence.
      These natives suffer bereavements and rejected from their nearest and dearest relations. It is said this person ( if male) will be devoid of children, therefore devoid of a wife.
    iti śivaṁ

yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If we notice there is this 4 house progression of 1,4,7 and 10th or the 4 kendra-s. We see this progression of 4 again with 2,5,8 and 11th house; 3, 6 , 9 and the 12th house. All houses then have been accounted for.

The 2, 5, 8 and 11th house progression is made up of paṇaphara-s and follows the kendra-s by one house i.e. 1st house + 1 = 2nd house, 4th house + 1 = 5th house, etc..

The 3, 6 , 9 and the 12th house progression is made up of āpoklima-s ; they are then progressing again by one house from the paṇaphara-s i.e. 2nd house + 1 = the 3house; 5th house + 1 = 6th house, etc..

Now based upon these categorizations aforementioned there are additional nābhasa yoga-s for each. I will not offer them because
    they are outside the conversation that was offered on dala yoga-s.

Yet me me leave you with this. These terms are quite interesting (to me).
    • kendra
    • paṇaphara
    • āpoklima
    Especially when I offered this,
    The kendra-s support and maintain each other; these kendra-s are under the auspices of śrī viṣṇu.
    It is from the kendra-s ( 1,4,7, and 10th) that the other houses progress. In fact the next group of 4 houses, the paṇaphara-s, are also known as 'succeedents' or that which moves ahead, that which progresses. And as mentioned they progress by one additional house each.

From from there we go forward and find the āpoklima-s , which are also named the precedents, meaning 'going before'. They 'precede' the kendra-s. That is, if you add one more house to them, we arrive back at houses 1,4,7 and 10th. Some in western astrology call them cadent houses , that is they are keeping the cadence ( that march) forward from their precessors, the paṇaphara-s.

Yet the words are most interesting to me , the ones that give us some clue of these groupings:

• kendra - is borrowed from geometry and means the center; the center of a circle. I mentioned the kendra-s are under the auspices of śrī viṣṇu, He is the center, from where all things progress.

• paṇaphara - which is paṇa+ phara. Paṇa = house, dwelling + phara = a shield, which also has the name phalaka. Phalaka = fruit, result , gain.
    • āpoklima - which (IMHO) is āpū + ak +li + ma
      • āpū = to carry towards; to flow towards; it also means to be pure
      • ak = as in akati , to move tortuously
      • li = end, term; loss, destruction
      • ma = measure; time; also can be used for happy, joyful; can also be used for death
    So, with more digging we can find additional yoga-s within the nābhasa yoga family that will reflect the qualities of the kendra, paṇaphara, and āpoklima grouping of houses. We will leave this for another time.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 April 2013 at 02:47 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thread Information