Thread: Omens and Hinduism - Shakunam

Omens and Hinduism - Shakunam

Namaste

I thought it would be fun to share Hindu Omens if others have any.

What do I mean by that? Here is an example: The entrance of a snake into a house denotes wealth to the householder, but just the reverse if it is seen departing from a house.

I found a book online recently “Hindu Omens” which was a very old book, either from the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. There is also a modern book by Bijalwan. I found the older book very interesting, in that I recently started my study of this art of “prediction” with my study of the Wagtail bird called the Khanjana as documented in the Brihat Samhita by Varahamihira. The science is often called Shakunam which is really an observation of birds and specific to BIRD CALLS but associated with birds and omens, but became generally used for all the practices of omens related in particular to our animal (non-human) friends, and this is my fascination with this art.

I am desiring to study this art because I also want to see if there are obvious examples that demonstrate or example omens and our interactions with our animal friends in the Ramayana and all the Histories of the Devas and Devi in particular, as well as such omens are depicted or can be depicted in the Art of the Divine as Allegory of God and man. The artistic application is very much of my interest, but to apply such depictions in the art of Devas and Devi (e.g. oil painting) will require an understanding of the art of Shakunam itself, that is the source.

The most famous is bird omens, but there are snake omens, jackal omens and many more.

Accordingly, the author says there is a book called Shakuna Shastra on this knowledge, he also mentions the books Shakunauti by unknown 18th Century author in a local Rajasthani dialect (I sure would like to get my hands on this one!), there is some information in Tulsidas’ Ramajna Prashna, there is the Basantaraja Shakunodaya by Basantaraja before the 12th Century, Mahadeva’s Panchapakshi Shakunam, and Nimitta Shastra or “Science of Omens”.

Some have information on dice throwing, this is not the same as animal omens however it is a way to predict certains things or trends.

Do you have any traditional, family, community, cultural omens that you remember associated with Hinduism? Let us know!

Ghar ka bhedi lanka dhayey

Om Namah Sivaya

“King Dasaratha returned to Ayodhya,accompanied by his retinue. On the way,there were bad omens and anxious Dasaratha asked Vasishtha what they portended. Vasishtha replied that there was no need to be alarmed, for though the birds in the air indicated approaching trouble,the animals on the land promised a happy consummation”
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 05 April 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Re: Omens and Hinduism - Shakunam

When I was pregnant with both my children earlier, my mother had a hard time getting tourist visa to visit me in USA. With her visa rejected once, I sent her a second time, and before that, we took her visa papers to Sri Lakshmi Temple and placed it at the altar of Ganesha there. We told the archagar to keep the papers at the foot of Ganesha and to do the archana and then to give us the prasad. The pundit, assuming we had some important paperwork, brought me back 2 fruits in his hand, and offered both to me. When I grabbed it, one fell down and other one (the second one) I successfully grabbed in my hand. To me, it felt unlucky, as in telling my mother will miss getting visa 2nd time also. Exactly as it was, my mother did not get her visa the 2nd time too. Later, a third time she was able to get it. It felt like the fruit that stayed in my hand represented her getting the visa the 3rd time.

Recently I dreamt of #666 of which I have an interesting news - it seems some President of USA, guess it could be Ronald Reagan once moved into a house carrying # 666 and then they had it changed to #668. The day I dreamt of #666 (2 days ago), I became aware of what seems like early stages of OsteoArthiritis of the left knee.

Like this, I have encountered many omens in my life.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja

Thank you for sharing this. As per what I am taught, no matter what the omen says, it is the indicator of the trend if you do no action ... All things can be changed, especially with the help of the Devas and Devi!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

Just now I found another interesting book on South Indian Omen traditions published in 1912. The book however is called "Omens and Superstitions of South India" by a Westerner. But the book is very interesting.

I found one paragraph that touched my heart:

"The following story is current concerning the sacred vultures of Tirukazhukunram. The Ashtavasus, or eight gods who guard the eight points of the compass, did penance, and Siva appeared in person before them. But, becoming angry with them, he cursed them, and turned them into vultures. When they asked for forgiveness, Siva directed that they should remain at the temple of Vedagiri Iswara. One pair of these birds still survives, and come to the temple daily at noon for food. Two balls of rice cooked with ghī (clarified butter) and sugar, which have been previously offered to the deity, are placed at a particular spot on the hill. The vultures, arriving simultaneously, appropriate a ball apiece. The temple priests say that, every day, one of the birds goes on a pilgrimage to Benares, and the other to Rāmēsvaram. It is also said that the pair will never come together, if sinners are present at the temple."

This book as said was published in 1912. I am not sure if the Vedagiri Iswara temple is the same as the Tirukkazhukkunram Temple located nine miles Southeast of Chengalpattu, which popularly known as "Pakshi Teertham". I am VERY curious if we see the two vultures still there!

Does anyone know?

What touches my heart is the idea of these two vultures flying one to Varanasi the City of Shiva, and the other to Rameswaram and the Lingam of Shiva and sacred to Lord Ram who worships the Lingam. What majestic duty by these vultures to demonstrate Tirthayatra! I think the very PRESENCE of two vultures or vultures taking prashad is an Omen of Good Tidings. Similar to the Ravens of White Tower, London. Perhaps an omen of good is that they are coming to take the prashad, but an omen of ill is they do not come?

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: The North American indigenous peoples knew a ton of this stuff, regarding animals. The incident I remember was a search and rescue on a fairly large lake about 200 miles east of where I am. Two boys had capsized the canoe in the lake, and had drowned. After a week or so of police search, two eagles showed up and circled in a certain spot on the lake. Only the indigenous people noticed of course. But an elder suggested to the search and rescue guys where to look. So then the bodies were recovered.

Lots of on-line stuff too .... like this .. http://kittythedreamer.hubpages.com/...mens-and-Signs

I know it isn't specifically Hindu, but it's still interesting.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

I'm not too sure about 'omens', but there's quite a lot of superstition....especially surrounding babies.

My mother-in-law was quite notorious for all this:

Heeng (Asaofetida) - hanging this around the neck of a baby was 'sposed to cure everything from nightmares to gas and to ward of the 'evil eye'.

Also, if one is having a bad dream, placing a knife under the pillow or rubbing saliva on the temples will stop anything from happening as a result.

A barren woman is seen to represent bad luck and she shouldn't be allowed to touch anything, or else the household will fall into misfortune.

To see a urinating dog was 'sposed to bring bad luck too.

If your left palm is itchy, money you will get. If it's the right one, money you will lose.

Something about cutting hair and nails on Saturday offends Saturn deities..

Lots of omens surrounding the planet Saturn...

Sneezing once = good luck...twice = bad luck...three times = you've caught a cold..

Squeezing the breasts of newborn infant girls is supposed to keep their breasts small and stop them from sagging later on in life...

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information