Thread: The 9 Divine Nights-Navratri

The 9 Divine Nights-Navratri

Namaste!!
    My previous post Mahadev turned out to be a very special post for me, in more than one ways.
    The post was indeed very close to my heart and the super positive comments I received from people on social media and various forums was more than any of my previous blog posts. So, thanking all of you once again for all the praises and positive feedback.

All through our lives, we would have celebrated and even observed fasts on the nine continuous days of Navratri. In the year 2013, 10th of April marks the beginning of yet another version of Navratri celebrations all over the Indian sub-continent. We all know the notions and the implications of Navratri as such. Nine different Goddesses are worshipped each day of the entire cycle, the ninth day marking the completion of the festivities. Did any of us wonder the spiritual and scientific attributes of these nine days? With the onset of Navtari from this day, I decided to write something about the celebration of the nine days, not the semantics, but the radical part of it.

As per legends, the inception of Navratri celebrations was when Goddess Durga, defeated the demon Mahishasur in the very famous fight, which lasted for nine days. It is believed, each day Durga introduced a new dimension of her divinity, finally slaying the demon down on the ninth day. As per other legends, Narad was the first to observe fasts during the nine days of Navratri, to pray for the victory of Rama over Ravana in the epic war of Ramayana.

There is no mention of an exact time or date in history, or a mention of any king under whom, people started celebrating Navratri for the first time ever. But, it is believed that the soldiers used to take off for the nine days form their relative duties and used to worship the Goddesses for the nine days, before setting off for wars again.

Symbolically, each of the nine days is symbolic of victory over a sin. The nine days denote worship of nine attributes of Goddess which help one defeat nine evils of humans. Each of the night has a certain significance with respect to the evil and the Goddess one worships to defeat those evils.

First Day: The first day is dedicated to Shailputri, or the daughter of the Himalaya. She is also called Shakti, the companion of Shiva. She is worshiped on the first day of Navratri and is often shown riding a bull. She is known to destroy the evil of Ahankaar or ego.

Second Day: The second day is dedicated to Brahmcharini, who helps a person in Tapa or penance. She is known to destroy the evil of Kaam or lust.

Third Day: The third day is dedicated to Chandraghanta, the symbolic representation of beauty and bravery. Worshipping her helps one to fight the evil of Krodh or anger.

Fourth Day: This day is dedicated to Kushmanda, who is also called the creator of the entire universe. She is known to destroy the evil of Pashchatap or Guilt.

Fifth Day: Skand Mata is worshipped on the fifth day of Navratri. She is known to be the mother of chief of the army of Gods, also called Skanda or Kartikeya. She destroys the evils of Moh or attachment.

Sixth Day: This day is dedicated to Goddess Katyayani, with three eyes and four hands. She is known to destroy Irshya or Jealousy.

Seventh Day: The day is dedicated to Goddess Kaalratri, who, symbolically, is known to make her devotees fearless. Another avatar of Durga, she is known to destroy Bhay or fear.

Eighth Day: Dedicated to Goddess Maha Gauri, the symbol of calmness and eternal wisdom, as per legends, she is intelligent, wise and very patient. She destroys the evils of Jadta or Inertia.

Ninth Day: Sidhhiantri is the ninth form of Goddess Durga. She is the known to be the ninth form of Durga. She is known to destroy the evils of Lobh or Greed.

Scientifically, Navratri's onset was devised perfectly at a time, when it would be fulfilling certain other purpose. Navratri is celebrated at a time, when one of the seasons is giving way to another season. Due to the same reason, the mind and the body undergo certain considerable changes. It is, therefore, advisable to practice fast for a few days, to maintain the metabolism of the human body. Further, Navratri falls at a time, when the heat (or tama) inside the body reaches a level which could be harmful for urinary, digestive and respiratory system. Fasting during these days help the body clean itself, give rest to internal organs and even increases the lifespan of digestive systems.

Other than the above mentioned symbolism, Navratri, as such is manifestation of the intent of the Vedic or ancient men to impose upon everyone the superiority or the significations of feminine attributes. Various attributes and forms of women were respected and worshipped, the attributes and symbolisms blooming out of all forms of feminism around a person. It’s really unfortunate that people have knowingly or unknowingly forgotten the very intent for which these symbolisms were incepted. They would like to worship the face of Goddess in the temple, but not the ones around them.

With that I would like to bring my post to an end. I would love to know what you felt about it.

Goodbye and Namaste!!

P.S. Some of the above inferences are part of my own research and inferences. I would certainly like to discuss those out

Re: The 9 Divine Nights-Navratri

Namaste

This is Chaitra Navratri or the beginning of the Hindu New Year. Then in October is Sharad Navratri.

As noted by sapansaxena, 9 forms of Devi are celebrated.

But also, in West Bengal, this is the time for Annapurna Puja on 18 April 2013 during Basant Navratri. Of course there is worship of Durga also.

Annapurneshwari will give you prosperity and health at this time.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post

But also, in West Bengal, this is the time for Annapurna Puja on 18 April 2013 during Basant Navratri. Of course there is worship of Durga also.

Annapurneshwari will give you prosperity and health at this time.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste!
    Anna means "food" or "grains". Purna means "full, complete and perfect". She is an avatar (form) of Parvati, the wife of Shiva.

Thanks for adding the same!

Namaste and Shubh Chaitra Navratri!

It is always nice to see discussion on Navadurga, and the Navratris;
    I am not sorry there are several times per year to worship
    and remember Devi with others

I am also reminded of the tale told about Maa Annapurna
    and Lord Shiva.. there have been times when I have forgotten to
    be grateful that it is the meeting of my body's basic needs, that
    enables my attention to be directed anywhere else..

As ShivaFan might say-

Today I think of Maa Annapurna, and both Her lesson and
    Her mercy. Jai Maa Annapurna!

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste Mitra,

I just love the Navaratri and Durga Puja Season.I fast during the four days of Durga Puja too.Saptami,Maha Astami,Maha Navami and Dashami are those four days when Durga Puja is celebrated and I am always waiting for this time of the year.And going to the Mandir/Temple and doing some of the works in the temple is just peace giving to me.Can't wait for Durga Puja this years(Yet there is a lot of time left).

Dhanyabad

Namaste Everyone,

Well, Navratri or Durga Puja is a festival which is dedicated to Goddess Durga where nine forms of her are worshiped as per each days. Generally many people think that Navratri is only celebrated in the month of September- October, whereas Navratri is celebrated in Chaitra (March-April) as Chaitra Navratri.

Navratri 2016 is here and it is a festival that celebrates the nine avatars of Maa Durga. It is an auspicious Hindu festival that brings the whole family together.
    Last edited by satay; 28 September 2016 at 09:38 AM.
    Rudraksha beads , Gemstone

"Chakrayog is one of the best original rudraksha and gemstones supplier in India"

Thread Information