Thread: The Hindu Temple of Canton, Michigan

The Hindu Temple of Canton, Michigan

Namaste,

Please let me share my first experience in a Mandiram with all of you.

I went to my first Hindu temple today. I was there for the better part of three hours. It was a wonderful experience, and I received powerful images during my meditation and prayers.

There are many temple deities present for worship: Radha Krishna, Ganesha, Amba, Hanuman, Shiva and Parvati, and Saraswati, to name a few. They are all so beautiful! And it’s true that they are alive and watching over their devotees.

I was a bit unsure of how to proceed during some of the ceremonies. I watched others carefully. When I arrived, there were not many people there. I took my shoes off and entered the prayer room. The priest was pouring milk over an obelisk in front of Shiva and Parvati, close to Nandi. I wonder what he was chanting. The other devotees and I were sitting on the floor. He adorned the deities with flowers. We stood and lined up. The priest passed an Aarti plate to a woman, who held it while the rest of us passed our down-turned hands over the flames and then rubbed our faces. Then the priest poured holy water over our right hands, which I rubbed on my face, like the others. After that, there was music being sung the entire time. I said many prayers and circumambulated the prayer room. Then I saw others taking Prasad before stepping out to eat it, so I did as well (But I returned to the prayer room, as I wasn’t finished worshipping. Next time I will be sure to wait until after Aarti for Prasad). There was sandalwood paste and holy water by the Prasad: some men didn’t bother with the sandalwood paste, so I didn’t, either (I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Does it go on the hairline?) But I did make sure to pour holy water over my right hand, touch it to my lips, and rub it on my hair. I wonder what this means. Soon afterward I made my monetary donation, which was difficult for me to do, for some reason.

There was more prayer and more music—I wasn’t sure if it was okay to sit on the chairs in the back or if I should sit on the floor (My legs were hurting, although I’m young enough and in decent shape). After sitting on a chair for a while, I returned to the floor and clapped along with everyone. Then there were announcements and a brief reading about laughing. By the time we performed Aarti, there were a couple hundred of us. I waved the plate and flames around in a clockwise motion three times. I hope I was doing it right!

I did not speak to any people while I was there. No one talked to me, except the man I held the door for, who said “thank you.” From what I understand, this is normal for someone visiting a Mandiram for the first time.

This was definitely a very cool experience and place of worship. I am certain that I will keep coming back and make doing so a priority. In the meantime, I will continue to pray daily to the deities on my shrine. Oh, that probably needs work, too.

Please share your thoughts and advice if you wish.

Thank you.

Re: The Hindu Temple of Canton, Michigan

Namaste,

Is the temple North Indian style? I think this temple is a big one. I found the website of this temple here http://www.thehindutemple.org/

I would say you got very nice experience at the first time! You're lucky that you went to temple during Aarti time. And you also have opportunity to perform Aarti by you waved the plate and flames. So you did right! I never do it too when I go to temple except I do it when I do Aarti at home. I could only observe and watch the Brahmins to do Aarti and get their flames after they did completed. But that feel nice for me also. And you also had chance to join the singing music to the god. That's nice and it was okay if you cannot sit on the floor because of your legs were hurting. My local temple provides the chair for every devotee too. About the holy water, I usually drink a little bit and rub my hair also. what you did is also right.

I hope you will get very graceful experience due you visit Hindu temple.

Om Shanti,

Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

Namaste,

Yes, that is the website. I am not sure if this temple is north or south style. The temple did not feel big, as I am used to large buildings. I am looking forward to my next visit--this temple is only 30 minutes from my home. Does this temple look northern to you?

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Vannakkam: All Hindu temples are to be admired, north, south, temporary in old churches or warehouses, etc. They are all houses of God, and we're all in this together.

But yes, this temple is a north style temple. Some ways to tell (just in general, not specific):
    North: white marble deities
    South: Black granite deities

North: a predominant Sanskrit Aum somewhere
    South: less likely

North: dome like structures, less ornate architecture
    South: more pyramid shaped architecture, ornately carved

North: central shrine is more open, more colorful ,,, often in pair , Radha Krishna, etc.
    South: a central shrine you can circumbulate, single deity within it.

These are just my general observations. There are lots of other differences too, but also many temples in the west combine elements of both.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for sharing, Anima!

Sounds like you had a great visit. I always enjoy hearing about new temples and people's experiences. I hope you have many more!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste and thank you both.

I do feel very fortunate about many things. I will continue to share my experience with this temple and community.

Have a wonderful day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anima Deorum View Post
    Namaste,

Yes, that is the website. I am not sure if this temple is north or south style. The temple did not feel big, as I am used to large buildings. I am looking forward to my next visit--this temple is only 30 minutes from my home. Does this temple look northern to you?

Thank you for your kind feedback.
    I think that is Northern Indian style. That is nice temple. Sounds interesting that you are planning to visit next temple. Have a nice trip!
    Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

Namaste my friends,

I returned to the temple on Sunday. There was a circle of devotees playing music in the prayer room. I made sure to pray before the Deities I best understood and make my donation. Then we spent all morning celebrating Lord Rama!

I was able to sing some of the words, too (Jai Ram, and a couple words in Sanskrit, but I got tongue tied). We sang to God, and it looked like everyone had a wonderful time. Our priest showered flower petals on the Deities. A woman showered us with flowers. One petal landed on my head--it felt like a wave rushing over my shoulders. Then the priest chanted to the goddess (Lakshmi?), and we devotees repeated certain words. He said this would help us with any mistakes we made. Does he mean mistakes of sin or ignorance?

Then there was Aarti, and of course I offered the Aarti plate to the Deities, waving it steadily. Goodness, there were about five hundred of us in all. Then there was Prasad downstairs. It was tasty, and a family sat with me. I got to say "Namaste" in the customary fashion to the first gentleman to sit with me. He offered me water, which I thanked him for.

I have been reading "What is Hinduism?" This is a book published by Hinduism Today Magazine. It emphasizes how mystical experience is key in Sanatana Dharma. Mystical experience is new to me, but it feels so powerful and familiar. Sometimes I fear I may fly off the Earth.

There is an ancient Sumerian tale called the "Epic of Etana."
    When King Etana rose over the world on his eagle, he saw it diminished, and was afraid. He cried out, and he fell. He was bound by anava, and remained small, and sired an heir.

Vannakkam AD: Thanks for the update. Each time is a 'new' experience. Even for me, and I've been some 2000 times to a temple somewhere, I figure.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind,

It's true--as Heraclitus says, "You cannot step into the same river twice." I have seen pictures of Sri Krisna riding an eagle over a turbulent sea, extending his hand to the drowning. This is something I will study and meditate on.

Pranam.
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Thread Information