Thread: Hindu Temple of Wisconsin

Hindu Temple of Wisconsin

Namaste All,

I was blessed to have the chance to visit a new temple this past weekend. The Hindu Temple of Wisconsin is located about 30 minutes outside the center of Milwaukee in an almost rural setting. I say 'almost' because the area looks like the suburbs are slowly moving in, but there is still plenty of farmland and trees.

Despite the use of a GPS I couldn't find it at first! The GPS couldn't pinpoint the exact place on the road the Temple was on. I kept my eyes pealed for the characteristic white roof, but didn't see any signs.

I actually did say to Devi at that moment, "If I'm not supposed to go, then I won't go, but please help me find it!"

Making one last loop I drove a little farther down the road the Temple was supposed to be on, and sure enough, just a few more miles down the road and I saw the white roof peeking over the trees =)

The Temple has a lovely arched entrance-way and is actually built next to a small Jain Temple. They share the same parking lot.

It was a Friday morning and the weather was rainy and cold, so it was quiet. I was the only on there besides a priest and a helper in the office. They were both preoccupied with various tasks for the day, so I just removed my shoes and entered the main sanctum.

While it is smaller and not as architecturally impressive at the Minneapolis Temple, The murtis are beautiful with a mix of white marble and black granite figures.

While no deity affiliation is indicated in the name of the Temple, Lord Vishnu is clearly the presiding deity. The choice and configuration of the deities was a little different then other temples I have been to, so perhaps someone can explain the choices to me.

Central is lord Vishnu and Ma Lakshmi. On either side there is Radha-Krishna and Ram Parivar. That makes sense. Then on one side there is also Balaji with SriDevi and Bhudevi, and on the other side, Siva Lingam (The largest I've seen so far, in person. I know there are much larger ones but I have only seen pictures of those All this seems fairly logical but then:

Flanking the ends on either side there were TWO Ganeshes. THe One on the right was white marble and labled 'Sri Siddhi Vinayaka' and the one at the far left was black granite and labled 'Sri Ganapati'

I thought it was interesting to have two Ganesh prominently displayed and treated with equal weight in one temple. Is this a North/South Indian distinction?

Also, dispite Lakshmi's place by Vishnu's side in the main shrine, when one turns around to face the back wall there, to the left is an enormous white marble statue of Lakshmi on her own. I'm certainly not complaining as it was wonderful to be able to sit before her and pray when there is only her to focus on. I just found it interesting.

Ma Durga was also there to the right of the door with her own shrine as well, but that didn't strike me as unusual, as she seems to always get her "own space" whether she is the presiding deity or not.

Anyway, I brought flowers for Lord Vishnu and Lakshmi (I suppose in their form standing together they are Lakshmi-Narayan?)

And for the first time I was able to do something I'd been too shy to do. I was able to bow down and prostrate before the deities. Maybe it was the fact that I was the only one there besides the priest so I didn't feel self-conscious, but I was happy to finally be able to express devotion in that way. It's small and certainly not the most important show of devotion, but I am glad I was able to do it because I was thankful for being able to find the temple at all!

I stayed for about an hour and then left feeling really good. I always feel really good after temple, but this visit was particularly good.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Hindu Temple of Wisconsin

Namaste,

Thanks for taking us on a tour of this beautiful mandir. It would be interesting to see if the temple experts have any answers to your questions. Personally, I think many mandirs in US seem to invite (house) as many deities as possible so as to serve the entire Indian Hindu community of different affiliations.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: I agree with Believer. I think the two Ganeshas is exactly as you say. White marble for North style, and black granite for South style.

I'm glad you went, and filed your report on here.

I haven't been to that one, but might some day, you never know. The one in Minneapolis, BTW, is the most untraditional one according to agamas I have ever been in, so I think the one in Wisconsin is more 'normal' if there is such a thing. Generally, there is one central sanctum, and after that it's really who knows?

When I went to the Minnesota one, I (this is just a very personal POV) found the energy really swirling about all over, so we (My wife and I) just went and sat in front of Ganesha for about 5 minutes and then left. It just didn't feel right.

According to agamas, there should be one dominating deity, and that particular vibration can be felt stronger than any others.

You're brave to just go on in, knowing that you belong, despite what some others may think. So good for you on that. Hopefully there will be more adventures to come.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I haven't been to that one, but might some day, you never know. The one in Minneapolis, BTW, is the most untraditional one according to agamas I have ever been in, so I think the one in Wisconsin is more 'normal' if there is such a thing. Generally, there is one central sanctum, and after that it's really who knows?

When I went to the Minnesota one, I (this is just a very personal POV) found the energy really swirling about all over, so we (My wife and I) just went and sat in front of Ganesha for about 5 minutes and then left. It just didn't feel right.
    It's interesting that you mention the energy in the Temples. I used to think I wasn't sensitive to "that sort of thing". But after having visited a handful of temples I definitely notice an energy difference.

The Minnesota Temple was difficult for me to get a feel for because I was there with friends and was playing "tour guide" so I wasn't attuned to the space. It is certainly a physically beautiful space though.

The Sri Ram Temple outside Chicago felt "heavy" inside. I don't know how to explain that. It wasn't a negative feeling just a change in the atmosphere that made me go, "Whoa. God is definitely here."

The Wisconsin Temple wasn't really energizing, but it did cause me to leave with a smile. It is the first temple to make me grin automatically in that way - The way one might when visiting good friends after not seeing them for a long time.

The energy in the Indianapolis temple is pretty chaotic, but that's understandable. The temporary worship area is small and cramped and the deities are all located close together at one end of the room. The permanent worship hall is taking shape and will hopefully be done next year, but right now, with no murtis and no devotees, it's just an empty room. I'm sure that will change once the space is occupied.

I'm not sure what temple is next on my list. There is a Shiva-Vishnu Temple in Cleveland, but that is quite the drive for me. I'll have to set aside a weekend for that =)
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vannakkam: No doubt it also has something to do with what you're comfortable with, or used to. The one in Minnesota was initially shocking, because I'd never seen anything like it. But I'm sure after some time I'd get used to it too.

I'm really used to the one here, so I think I prefer Ganesha temples, like the one in Omaha, Salt Lake, or Flushing, New York. With certainty, I can say I prefer simpler ones. The less deities the better, and I don't care that much which deity.

Was the Chicago Ram temple the one in Lemont, or the one in Aurora? I went to the Aurora one. Apparently the same person had a lot to do with the development of each one, and that's why they're so well run.

Aum Namasivaya

The Sri Ram Temple is in Lemont. It's actually called the Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago. I know the Aurora one is a Balaji Temple and I haven't visited that one, but I should!

The Ram Temple struck me as unnusual in the sense that it is split into two larger rooms seperated by a corridor. One Side is the Ram Temple, the other side is what they called the Durga/Shiva/Ganesh Temple. Both were lovely, but the Ram side was the one that felt Heavy. There was more activity and light in the Durga/Shiva/Ganesh side when I went so that might also have had somthing to do with the difference in atmosphere.

I can't say what I prefer. I don't think I've experienced enough temples yet to know for sure. And certainly I need to see some of the temples of India before I leave this life.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vanakkam, Thank you for sharing Jodhaa ! There is two Sri Ganesha in Paris temple too, even if the temple is strictly south indian one. The main deity Siddhi Vanayaka and one metal Panchmukhi Ganapati. Both are taken in procession during Ganesh Chartuhi

Thank you Jodhaa, you are very blessed to have so many temples around in the US

Jai Sri Ganesha,

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Thank you for sharing, McKitty!

I am heading to Paris in a few weeks but will unfortunately be unable to visit the temple there. (Believe me, I tried to make it work!)

I think the number of temples in the US is slowly growing. On average, there might be one in each state (California has several, as does New Jersey, whereas there are a few states that have none) - so for most people it is still a lot of traveling to do. I am fortunate to live 30 minutes from my local temple, so that is a blessing.

It's funny - for every few blocks there is another Church, but only one temple for all the Hindus in the state to visit. It makes me appreciate the hard work that the temple committee and Hindu community have to put in in order to keep the Temples running.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vannakkam:

Jodhaa, you're so lucky. There are a ton of temples that could be weekend pilgrimages. Nashville, Pittsburgh, Flint, Louisville, etc. A bit further afield and you have New York, Washington, Boston, St. Louis, even Toronto where you could spend 2 weeks and still not see them all. Of course I'm assuming you like to go see new temples. Not everyone does.

Here in Edmonton we have to drive a very long ways. Calgary is 3 hours. It has 3 temples though. But after that it gets really slim. There's one in Saskatoon, (5 hours) another in Regina, (7 hours) but both of those are only open on Sundays. Vancouver is 12 hours, Winnipeg is 14 hours, ... well, you get the picture.

But please keep exploring and reporting. It's all great future reference for the rest of us, here in North America.

Aum Namasivaya

The trick is affording those weekend pilgrimages But you are right - There are several places within relatively easy driving distance.

I had made plans to do a two week trip from Indiana to upstate NY. There is a temple there - a Sri Rajarajeswari temple that I read about recently. I will have to wait until June or July to see if I can afford the trip, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed =)
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information