Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japa Mala

Re: Japa Mala

Namaste,
    the need i am trying to fulfill is far from temporary, i am aiming towards self-improvement....

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Sita Ram Catnip,

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Namaste,
    the need i am trying to fulfill is far from temporary, i am aiming towards self-improvement....

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah
    All Hindu mantras are for Self-improvement.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,

Yes, i was pointing out that i didn't want it for a passing need as you implied i did, that's all.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Sita Ram Catnip,

Namaste,

Yes, i was pointing out that i didn't want it for a passing need as you implied i did, that's all.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah
    You are missing my point. You stated earlier that you have many different problems and that is why you were undertaking many different mantras. I was concurring with Yajvan that undertaking many different mantras is not necessary or wise.

Mantras are not really meant for different "problems" that one is facing. There are specific prayers/stotras as well as general prayer for getting through problems in life, but mantra-sadhana is more for general self-improvement as part of one's meditation towards Self-realization.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,

My problems happen to be my negative thinking and behavior (various mental illness, which yes, i am seeing a counselor and psychiatrist for)..... so getting rid of that would be self improvement would it not?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Sita Ram Catnip,

Namaste,

My problems happen to be my negative thinking and behavior..... so getting rid of that would be self improvement would it not?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah
    It definitely would!

Again, the point is that there is not really a need to undertake one mantra for negative thinking, one mantra for negative behavior, etc. Rather, one should focus on one/a few for meditation and sadhana. For problems like you mentioned, general prayer and a conscious effort in karma are of great aid in overcoming, as is structured meditation.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,

I was thinking even one for inner/outer beauty that i found because most of my negative thinking comes from low self esteem... i almost typed that i don't know where the anxiety comes from but that's low self esteem too! My negative behavior comes from my negative thinking. I'm going to keep looking a little to make sure its the absolute best one i can find and connect with... and there are other things i can do alongside the mantra to gain self esteem. (i just deleted a paragraph's worth of stuff i can do, remembering we're not supposed to get too personal >.<)

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Namaskar to all

It is said that in kaliyug we can not pronounce the mantras properly and so mantras in this yug is not effective at all. further , chanting of the name of bhagavan with the help of beed is kind of taking ( smaranam) the name of bhagavan for limited period or limited number whereas it is expected that we should take the name of bhagavan with our every breathing in or out. Therefore I find it of no use of chanting mantras whatever may be with beeds. Instead we should practice chanting without beeds for unlimited number and unlimited time.

In my sadhana, I have found chanting of mantra by a specific count for a particular duration - 108 times * 48 days very effective. It not only had the needed materialistic wish fulfilled but also brought about a major attitude change. If a mala cannot be used for repetition of a different mantra, why not go with finger counts?

But at other times I have constantly repeated the name of god as Jopmala has suggested, that is without keeping a count, for a period of 1 year in full. The recitation had been mental. It brought about quite some remarkable spiritual dreams followed by materialistic wish fulfillment.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by jopmala View Post
    Namaskar to all

It is said that in kaliyug we can not pronounce the mantras properly and so mantras in this yug is not effective at all. further ,
    Vannakkam: Says who? Surely we don't all believe this, or none of us would use mantras at all. Of course anyone is free to not chant, not attend temple, not practice dharma, etc. It is the kali yuga, after all.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information