Thread: Vishishtadvaita and Dvaita - a comparison.

Threaded View

Vishishtadvaita and Dvaita - a comparison.

This is a thread to compare Vishishtadvaita and Dvaita. I had been thinking of starting just one, to gauge its acceptance. Any jalpa and this can be closed immediately.

Here are a few reasons why I felt this was needed:

1) Many people consider VA and Dvaita as same, thanks to neo-vAdin-s who write stuff like 'Advaita is the mother and VA, Dvaita her children'. The fact is, Dvaita is as different from VA as these two are from Advaita.

2) There are many misconceptions that dualistic systems are simple and childish, whereas identity systems like Advaita are complex. This may provide an example of how complex VA and Dvaita actually are.

Now, here are a few ground rules:

1) This is NOT a debating thread. Although my posts may show an obvious bias to VA, I am not intending this to be a 'refutation' of dvaita. The reason for this bias is because I have naturally read many VA polemic works against Dvaita and if I were to communicate them here, it would look like I am refuting them. It is not fair to attempt a refutation when no dvaitin is here to answer.

2) Both these traditions are, to put it in the language of some, 'virulently' vaishnava. Yes, we are 'fanatic' about nArAyaNa parathvam/hari sarvOttamA with 'abrahamic tendencies'. So, this thread will relegate other devas to a lesser level. Those who feel repulsed by vaishnavas, can stay away and must not post arguments on Vishnu vs Other Devas. Those non-vaishnavas who just have an academic interest, are free to post.

With that, I will post some material here. Actually, this was written for a private yahoo group, but I felt interested people can learn something here.

The information here is abridged and is in no way comprehensive. As far as accuracy is concerned, I would say almost. I am not aware of major mistakes, though I may have overlooked finer details.

INTRODUCTION

SrI mAdhvA's system of vedAntA and srI rAmANujA's system have shared a healthy relationship for many centuries. SrI vedAnta desikan remarks in srimad rahasya traya sAram - "this mAdhva matam is very close to ours except for some flaws". The debate between Akshobhya Tirtha and Vidyaranya with Vedanta Desikan as the judge is also well known.

Furthermore, it was srI vijayEndra tirthA who helped the sri vaishnavas of Kumbhakonam and restored the hEma pushakarIni to SrI sArangapAni temple. Great bhaktas like AnnamAchAryA and Purandara dAsar belonging to VA and Dvaita have met, according to traditional sources.

However, from the period of Jaya Tirtha onwards, there have been fierce debates between these two darshanas. Vishishtadvaita was criticised by Jaya Tirtha, vyAsa tirtha and vijayEndra tirtha in works such as Chandrika, nyAyamruta and paratattva prakAsika. In return, acharyas like parakAla yati, sholingur mahAchAryA and srinivAsAchArya wrote rejoinders. This debate has been going on even till 1980.

This write-up simply analyses both traditions and their views on various points, with an admitted bias towards VA (since I am a VA).
    Last edited by Sri Vaishnava; 23 April 2013 at 08:40 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="DarkRed"]No holiness rules over my freedom
    No commands from above I obey
    I seek the ruin, I shake the worlds
    Behold! I am blackest ov the black

Ov khaos I am, the disobediant one
    Depraved son who hath dwelt in nothingness
    Upon the ninth I fell, from grace up above
    To taste this life ov sin, to give birth to the "I"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[B]~ "Blackest Ov the Black" - Behemoth.[/B]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-JdwtK1DY[/url] [/CENTER]

Thread Information