Thread: Karma transfer

Karma transfer

Hi

Can karma be transferred from one person to another?

i heard couple of thing but im not sure if it is true.

For example,purohits who does poojas and collect money might get some sin of their client.

One more, some part of bad karma of clients gets transferred to their astrologers because they change the fate of people by collecting money.

Re: Karma transfer

Namaste.

No, Karma cannot be 'transferred', however, more than one individual can share a 'Karmic Destiny' as well as their own 'personal Karma'.

As in the case of marriage, children and families, people working through various 'life issues' together...

I am sure this is quite obvious anyway, so I shall elaborate no further.

This 'Karmic Destiny' accumulates and changes over many lifetimes.

If a Purohit/Pundit claims money from his client and experiences 'bad Karma' as a result, maybe he stole his goat/had sex with his wife etc in a previous incarnation? Who knows this?

Maybe the 'sin' was the other way around and the money is payment rendered for previous services....if not for the Pooja itself.

If the 'donation' is accepted with hesitation, humility and kindness and put towards furthering Dharma, there is no sin. If it is accepted in the name of God, it doesn't become the 'wages of sin'.

If it is accepted in the name of greed, then it does.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Who am i View Post
    Actually, I believe there is mention of transfer of "good" Karma that has yet begun to bear fruit to others when one attains Samadhi.

This is from the Brahmasutras. Time permitting, I will post the appropriate aphorism and the purport.

Yes I too have heard of this. The cause seems to lie in the person's negligence or actions to whom it is transferred to.

When a king does not give a just punishment to the deserving then he has to take up the person's sins on him. Also in Upanishads it is said that when a person (after death) goes to moksha, his friends/relatives inherit his punya (good) while his enemies inherit his pApA(bad).

Both good and bad karma can be transferred / accrued by others.

It is said that when you (unknowingly) either offer food or even water to quench thirst to a person who upon leaving, would butcher a cow, a portion of that sin would belong to you. (!) Even in the story of Sri Venkatachalapathi, the sin of striking a blow to his forehead with an axe by the cowherd gets transferred to the king of that terrain.

Sri Krishna in Mahabharata war, asks Karna to give up all his merits to him in donation when Karna was in death bed, thereupon which Karna plucks out the arrow that is struck on his chest and from the blood oozing forth, takes a handful and gives all his merits in donation to Krishna.

It is even said that Jyotishis who practice reading charts of various persons everyday accrue the karma of those person, unless they keep up to the schedule of rigorous sadhana everyday.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Right,Understood.

I dont have scriptures to refer ,but indeed Karma can be transferred.

I have seen people avoiding annadhanam in temples as their good sin will be transferred to person who sponsors the food.

I have seen many astrologers family affected by sickness,marital problems,accidents which is mainly due to sins accumulated.

Hi

i heard couple of thing but im not sure if it is true.

For example,purohits who does poojas and collect money might get some sin of their client.

One more, some part of bad karma of clients gets transferred to their astrologers because they change the fate of people by collecting money.
    Yes, karma transfer is some times possible.

dharma shAstra-s like the manu smR^iti are full of injunctions based on this principle. For example, if people abuse you a part of your karma-s have to be borne by them.

Hence the shAstra actually asks you to ignore praises heaped upon you, and be happy when you are abused. And you have to be generous in the praise of others, and always desist from abusing others, even if they deserve it.

Similarly, a king is responsible for the evils in his kingdom, and a good portion of the crimes committed by his citizens has to be borne by a king. Similarly, the king gets a share of good karmas of his citizens also. I am not sure what fate awaits our corrupt politicians who think about every thing but the welfare of the people.

It is also well known that Gurus some times take on the karma-s of their disciples upon themselves. The same thing happens with astrologers, purohitas etc who suffer from karmic reactions if they do not have sufficient tapas shakti to practice these disciplines.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Thread Information