Quote Originally Posted by TrikonaBindu View Post
Historically there were vegetarian communities that did not hesitate to cruelly oppress and disrespect other human beings not belonging to their community.
That happens even today, although I must say thankfully it is confined to a small number of people belonging to very large communities. Eight hundred years of repeated invasions by marauders has eroded the hindu psych to a very alarmingly degenerate levels and as a result some type of mutual hatred has seeped in. They all lived on a survival mode for a longtime. This is the main reason why hindus remain very critical of abrahamic faiths.

However, once the hindus have restored their self rule and are convinced that the self rule is firmly in place , they didnt lose time to put in place some very effective remedial measures, which indeed are paying off rich dividends. The fragmentation among the hindus is fast disappearing. I personally encourage vegetarianism for all, at least one must voluntarily reduce ones love of food, but at the same time I must clarify that it is NOT a requirement to be a hindu. It simply is leaning towards satva and moving away from Tamas essentially. Namaste.