Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disparaging

Disparaging

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Philosoraptor

Ganesh Prasad is not a Sri Vaishnava and has made numerous disparaging remarks about Vaishnavas and Vaishnava ideas on this forum, repeatedly
    I am on record of saying I do not belong to any sect.

Well if some body is going to accuse me of disparaging,at least show me where I have erred. Perhaps I could mend my ways if knew I had spoken ill of Vaishnava in general.

Now what brought about this latest discord, is my post on Surya worship by Viraja.I had no intention nor even an inkling that i would be mentioning Alwars about whom I know absolutely nothing, apart from them being saints from South india.

However the prayer that I recite everyday "namah Savitre---" I looked for it on net so that I could post it in that thread, I stumble across the site which mentioned that prayer and translation were copied from here, as well as rest of the post which included Alwars and I presume Tamil verse which I do not understand but I had hoped it would be true, then again what translations are exact true to its meaning? It is all a matter of interpretation.

If it helps i have now edited my post.

Now about disparaging let me remind my accuser, I do not go about reducing Deva To a Jiva let alone Shiva or Vishnu.

What could be more disparaging on a Hindu site to reduce Lord Shiva or any other Deva to mere position of Jiva?

The word 'Neo or new age' are they not insulting to the contemporary saints whose crime apparently by Phil, is to see no difference of Devas especially the tri murti.

How about this on a personal level;

Quote Originally Posted by Phil

I wouldn't. I was just channeling a certain other member of these forums....

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Re: Disparaging

Namaste Ganesh,

I liked your post in that thread on Surya.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja

Actually, as I mentioned I believe in another post, I often take quotes from postings of members from the HDF and keep them archived in my personal notes. I plan on placing them in composite on the internet to my "Wonders of India" website and project that I am developing.

I took several quotes from Ganeshprashad's posting from this Surya thread, to keep them in these archives. Yes, it was a great post.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Ganesh,

I liked your post in that thread on Surya.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Viraja

Actually, as I mentioned I believe in another post, I often take quotes from postings of members from the HDF and keep them archived in my personal notes. I plan on placing them in composite on the internet to my "Wonders of India" website and project that I am developing.

I took several quotes from Ganeshprashad's posting from this Surya thread, to keep them in these archives. Yes, it was a great post.

Om Namah Sivaya
    I do not understand this. The Azhwars have said time and time again that Shiva is not the same as Vishnu, and that Shiva is a jiva who is a devotee of Vishnu. What do you find so impressive about a post that claims, against all evidence, that the Azhwars thought that Shiva and Vishnu are the same?
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste.

Not that I understand what this thread is supposed to achieve, but 'disparaging' is an interesting word to use:

dis·par·age (d-sprj)
    tr.v. dis·par·aged, dis·par·ag·ing, dis·par·ag·es
    1. To speak of in a slighting or disrespectful way; belittle. See Synonyms at decry.
    2. To reduce in esteem or rank.
    [Middle English disparagen, to degrade, from Old French desparager : des-, dis- + parage, high birth (from per, peer; see peer2).]
    dis·parage·ment n.
    dis·parag·er n.
    dis·parag·ing·ly adv.

Anyway, whenever I face the inevitable critic, I always mentally tack on two words..."to you".

Yes, my ideas may seem stupid and pointless...to you.

Are they stupid to me? obviously not (unless I haven't realised that myself yet) or else I wouldn't have expressed them.

Are they stupid to others? I leave that up to them (it's amazing how many insecure individuals have the audacity to speak and act on the 'silent behalf' of their own peerage).

I am not in any position to go into Lord Shiva vs Lord Vishnu when I could either love both equally or reduce both down to Brahman alone existing.

The decision to worship Lord Shiva was born from preference, idealism, passion and whatever other 'human element' fits in here.

So, I still am no closer to understanding whether this thread is meant to create an argument with your 'accuser' and whatnot....everybody is entitled to have an opinion after all.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I liked everyone's contribution in the other thread. Individually read, every post is informative and interesting. However, I do not believe in addressing one single poster who made a neutral/non-offensive post and claim his posting is incorrect. Besides in this forum that holds both Vaishnavas and Shaivas, one has to adhere to the norm of Shiva=Vishnu though the personal beliefs might be different. Sorry if I offended anyone by my remarks as such, but this attitude will give us happy browsing with peace of mind.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    However, I do not believe in addressing one single poster who made a neutral/non-offensive post and claim his posting is incorrect.
    Mistranslation and misrepresentation of the opinions of such august personalities IS offensive.
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Mistranslation and misrepresentation of the opinions of such august personalities IS offensive.
    What is misrepresentation?

Madhvas accuse Shankara of misrepresenting Badarayana in his sutra bhashya, by giving it a completely different twist.

Besides, the Azhwars existed before the Sri Vaishnava tradition was formed and therefore, it is not entirely correct to identify one with the other.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    What is misrepresentation?

Madhvas accuse Shankara of misrepresenting Badarayana in his sutra bhashya, by giving it a completely different twist.

Besides, the Azhwars existed before the Sri Vaishnava tradition was formed and therefore, it is not entirely correct to identify one with the other.
    Badrayayana's sutras are cryptic and hard to interpret, this is not the case with the poems of the Azhwars. One must be out of his mind to say that the Azhwars did not consider Vishnu superior to Shiva, it is as ridiculous as saying that Shankaracharya was a dvaitin.

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    I hope you are not accusing me of mistranslation! Now that would be difficult since I don't know a word of Tamil language, tell a lie I do know vanekam.
    My mistake was to present someone else idea of unity of the two Devas.
    Now if that's a crime and offensive I am happy to be guilty.

One must be out of his mind to say that the Azhwars did not consider Vishnu superior to Shiva, it is as ridiculous as saying that Shankaracharya was a dvaitin.
    That was not the point made nor intended, so get over it.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information