Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinduism in US

Hinduism in US

Vannakkam: Looks like we're here to stay.

http://www.thearda.com/asrec/archive...mographics.pdf

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Hinduism in US

Namaste EM

This is a very interesting study, thanks for sharing it!

I find it largely accurate, quite impressive actually.

The expected stats regarding California as number 1, with New York, New Jersey and Texas as states with large numbers of Hindu temples and adherents was no surprise, but what I did find interesting that is a shift from the 1960s into the 1980s is that now at least 1 Hindu temple is found in every single state of the Union in the US, e.g. "with every state having at least one".

This is remarkable actually, in only less than 50 years since 1965 when the US really opened itself up to welcoming Indians and with the first "converts" to Hinduism from "European Americans", we now see at least one temple in every single state.

I think the stats and numbers were as accurate as what can be considered a statistical approach and academic survey, and they are impressive numbers, but actually my personal observation is the numbers are actually notably larger than this survey. This is because, starting in the 1990's, there was a new "practice" of Hinduism if you will that has now spread notably and has even resulted in the establishment of a number of new temples conducted with full (and rather impressive) deity worship which includes an authorized Hindu priest (e.g. not a "Guru" centric movement, but which has an officiating priest typically from India) that are literally run out of private homes located in suburban neighborhoods.

The new "practice" I am referring to, which was alluded to in this study, is what as the author noted first known as "satsang groups" (which actually were not typically a gathering of adherents discussing philosophy but in fact almost always and typically bhajan groups accompanied by readings from Ramayana or other sacred texts, and inclusive of "Hindu poster art" and small murtis on a small shrine).

Early on in the 1990's, these were typically Krishna oriented but not necessarily, consisted initially of Westerners with a certain select participants who came from India. They were located all over, often in neighborhoods, and held on a regular to "notification" (by e-mail typically) schedule. And this would also consist not only of those who would attend in person such gatherings, but had a much larger "circle" of "communications" this typically would be the nature of sending out and receiving "Hindu Holy" day greetings by email and cards, and concerns about for example others who were having some physical sickness or crisis and giving "moral support" if you will.

The nature of this became more diverse, and while initially these were typically Krishna centric, this changed rapidly, and upon observation of my own opinion which does not have any application of traditional "survey" methods, I would say the today these have the following Devas or Devi as the predominate Divine:

* Devi (Durga and Parvati)
    * Hanuman
    * Krishna
    * Kali (this is Devi as well, but deserves it's own unique listing)
    * Shiva
    * Guru (some popular Guru figure)

I have noticed a notable rise in Devi adherence, and some of these "groups" run out of houses in the suburbs have now turned into full fledged Devi temples even though still located in private homes. Also notable, is an attendance to such "groups" or neighborhood satsangs from Hispanics.

There are also now some notable and rather well funded "groups" which are Hanuman centric. Some have rather elaborate temples which do not show up in this 2011 survey.

At this time, in terms of speaking specifically of "Western Hindus" (verse those who have Indian origin), for some reason Devi is becoming very popular (a mix of Indians and Westerners), and Hanuman is very popular with Westerners. This may change overtime, this is an observation. But if the trend continues, Devi and Hanuman may overtake Krishna in popularity in the US, I am not taking sides on any of this just speaking in terms of observation which can be subjective. Even though Hanuman is my Ishta Lord, I am not mentioning Hanuman in this discussion from a biased point of view, it is an honest observation of which I do not have any particular explanation as to why Lord Hanuman is becoming so popular with "Americans" (Westerners).

In regards to the Guru figure groups, these was a potential for the Nityananda based (South Indian) centric centers to have taken in a lot of "Western adherents", but this has fallen off somewhat due to the recent scandals.

I recently was discovering a new and potential giant in the US in the form of the Datta Yoga Centers. These have numbers of adherents who have Indian origin, but is notably expanding and including non-Indians. I am interested in attending their bhajan groups which I have now found are multiple such groups in the Bay Area alone. These are not temples, but "gatherings". Their center of activity currently is in Texas, but I predict this to expand soon.

I have noticed something else, as well, among other Westerners who have Hinduism in their heart. And that is, they are now starting to go out into the internet to seek out "online" or some means of "Hindu instruction". I predict that if for example, the Saiva Siddhantan Churches (which has it's center in Kauai, Hawaii), which already has a well know Master Course, expands in communicating such courseware, that there will be seen a nice upbeat in those who undertake such "Hinduism classes".

There are other "groups" within the US who are now also beginning to offer "online courses", one example is the recent postings by a HDF member regarding the Devi Ashram out of Napa, California. But there are now about another half dozen of such courseware, I predict as other Hindu organizations, Sampradayas, and sects (including those who currently only have exclusive presence in India and not the US and Canada) see the need and rising popularity for such "online Hindu courses" (terminology will vary) as "Introductions" to Hinduism and even eventual full fledged and divine teachings thereof, the next phase of such active Hinduism will be by means of such "online" and "collaborative" experiences, engagements and courses conducted by authorized Hindu teachers and priests. Of course they will be totally bogus ones as well, but you will see them fall by the wayside rapidly as those who are interested in such things will seek the "real thing".

That is what a lot of critics of Hinduism do not understand about what is happening. We have Indians now living all over the world. And also when non-Indians actually seek out to understand, they typically are attracted to what they term "the real thing" (something I have heard often) - this translates into authorized teachers and not "new age" types.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on so much, again this was a very interesting read.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam:

Like you, I found it quite detailed. One problem I did notice though was no clear definition of Hinduism. Some of the groups they included were clearly not Hindu. But of course that wasn't their primary focus. Demographics was. Given the nature of us, it had to be a daunting task. For example, many Hindus wouldn't fit any category, and some could be counted 2 or 3 times. Others wouldn't respond to their queries.

Still interesting.

Aum Namasivaya

"Nityananda/Muktananda" traditions shouldn't have been listed as Hindu "Renaissance" traditions (traditions that "have their basis in what is
    termed the Hindu Renaissance of the late nineteenth century"), since Muktananda's popularity (especially in the West) expanded after the late '60s and early '70s. They should've been put under "Post-Renaissance" ("movements that have come to the United States since the change in the
    immigration laws in 1965 and which are typically centered on one new Hindu religious leader/teacher").

"III. Hindu Renaissance Traditions
    Nityananda/Muktananda
    (1) Adidam, Avataric Pan-Communion of
    (2) SYDA Yoga Dham
    (3)The Movement Center (formerly Nityananda Institute) Shanti Mandir
    (4) Additional Independent centers"
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Hari Om

Namaste,

Like your, "Hinduism in their heart" ShivaFan.
    Thought as read, the different definitions of Hinduism and as been discussed here in past, how many reticent to state "Hinduism" Think of a thread of yours perhaps, JaiJi, where you brought up how much of Hindu influence has came into U.S. or even Western vogue. Even if as has been discussed in yet other threads, many of these things have a new age or not understood twist, it does open Jiva's eyes to dormant truth.
    Without proselytizing or coersion of others as found in some other traditions, think possiblity of further growth is strong. Young people interact with, seem to be looking for truth, not just cliche and not stuff given from priestcraft prevelant in this culture. Something deep and that resonates with their core if you will.
    To me, those who have immigrated here are huge reason, without the proselytizing, for this growth. The modeling is strong from them. As just one example that thought was profound. Was participating in a very serious exercise, dealing with an impending clash with a threatening world power. A naturalized citizen from Bharat, came up with a solution that would never have been discovered without his participation. The next morning, the folks from group we were in talked about him. These were folks who were world weary and had seen much or they were intellectuals. The one who was a Hindu had made a very strong impact on them. Think with this dynamic being repeated many times over throughout the U.S., there is hope for more good folks opening their eyes as well.

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

Namaste FFTW

These are good points you make, the Jivas eyes open to dormant truth, and in part we can thank those Hindus who have come to America from India, Americans observe them and it does not take long before they are admired, even with envy at times, with their high intelligence, spiritual demeanor and social etiquette that there is no need to even proselytize because they model all the things so many others wish they could be, they model the example and others want to also practice the same "religion".

Yes, those who have immigrated to the US are a huge reason.

To me, Hanuman is many things, including the Greatest Ambassador. He can speak many languages. He is also exemplar of Hindu and thereby Indian civility. Though he came from the forest, He is the very best example of what a civilian should be in a civil society.

Indians always have a strong impact with Americans of Euro descent. This was demonstrated at a recent Information Technology forum I attended. There was an Indian woman who participated in open discussion, her command at language, or more precise to the point her command at making and leading others towards understanding, well it was profound. She had a strong British like accent, but that made no difference to the Americans listening who might not be used to such an accent. She cut right into the consciousness like a knife through hot butter if you will, others were left will little to add since she had it all so easily and effectively.

This dynamic repeats itself each day in America, and with it Hinduism has a perspective and association with such Indian born Hindus on other non-Indian Americans. And so it grows, as it becomes the model.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    "Nityananda/Muktananda" traditions shouldn't have been listed as Hindu "Renaissance" traditions (traditions that "have their basis in what is
    termed the Hindu Renaissance of the late nineteenth century"), since Muktananda's popularity (especially in the West) expanded after the late '60s and early '70s. They should've been put under "Post-Renaissance" ("movements that have come to the United States since the change in the
    immigration laws in 1965 and which are typically centered on one new Hindu religious leader/teacher").

"III. Hindu Renaissance Traditions
    Nityananda/Muktananda
    (1) Adidam, Avataric Pan-Communion of
    (2) SYDA Yoga Dham
    (3)The Movement Center (formerly Nityananda Institute) Shanti Mandir
    (4) Additional Independent centers"
    Vannakkam: The paper was done by independent non-Hindu researchers in demographics. They wouldn't have the information or time to delve into each individual group to study out who they really were. There were several groups that I personally didn't feel belonged in it at all. But that's not the point.

The point is that many aspects of Hindu thought, and pure Hinduism itself are spreading, and is here to stay in the west. If you have quibbles with how the report was done, please write to the authors. In any such research it would be impossible to be accurate. They admitted that as well.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

The research is flattering but being a pragmatist, and pardon me for being the voice of dissent, I tend to see the long range scenario without the rose colored glasses. The survival of Hinduism in its pure form in the US and in the West depends on what is passed on to successive generations and how close a relationship they maintain to the land of origin of their faith.

If the children of Hindus do not fully accept the faith and become Hindus in name only, then in the long term it would be significantly secularized and diluted. Already, I can see them not being able to chant mantras because of loss of their native tongues and a lack of any knowledge of spoken Sanskrit. Also, if the successive generations do not go on pilgrimages to India to observe and reinforce their traditions/culture/inherited philosophy, then they will not stick to the 'real thing'. It is easier to get on the rah rah bandwagon and avoid the negative factors working against its survival, as we know it in its unadulterated form, but that is reality - Hindus being Americanized/Westernized in their food habits, their outlook on life, their lack of fierce pride in their heritage, and becoming Hindus in name only. Current generation has the benefit of large waves of new immigrants from the 70's and 80's, who were born and raised in India and have the first hand familiarity with Hinduism and go back often enough to maintain the bonds. But that is going to taper off. Left on their own, they are bound to alter the traditions and philosophy to cope with their surroundings. Let us hope that they don't all go to the other extreme and emulate Bobby Jindal or Nikky Haley. The challenge is not how it operates today, but how it will operate in the future without the benefit of infusion of large numbers of new immigrants from India.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    The survival of Hinduism in its pure form in the US and in the West depends on what is passed on to successive generations and how close a relationship they maintain to the land of origin of their faith.
    Vannakkam: I agree with what you say, but only time will tell. Maybe next lifetime we'll be here looking for it. I'll meet you in Denver. Sheer population has quite a lot to do with it, so in that sense, the groups like BAPS have the best chances, and in pockets, like the Sri Lankan refugee pocket in Toronto, where there are already 20 temples.

I've witnessed the practical disappearance of Ukrainian culture just east of here. Where there were once 50 churches or Ukrainian Catholic, or Ukrainian Orthodox, I think 3 are still functioning. It took 4 generations only.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Looks like we're here to stay.
    Are you relocating to the USA ?

The report (you offered) suggests 1.2 million hindu's the USA. That is 0.39% of the population. As much as I would like to see it as a tidal wave, it is perhaps a ripple in the pond.

As of 2010 a distribution map of the USA and hindu presence.

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information