Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hinduism in US

Re: Hinduism in US

Namaskaram.

I would never underestimate the power of living Devatas who proactively preserve and develop Sanatana Dharma. As necessary, to preserve the Hindu faith and sacred sciences, these Devatas resort to extraordinary measures to make their presence known. Is anyone unacquainted with the Milk Miracle of Sri Ganesha? (Just google Milk Miracle.) If such Devatas have decided to establish Their influence across the globe, there is no power that can stop Them. Yes, in some fraction of cases it may happen that the essential spiritual culture of Indian-American Hindus is attenuated. However:

1. There would also be the counter-reaction of succeeding generations of Indian-Americans who feel cheated of something essential to their identity. This is especially so, because their very names and physical features connect them to India, a nation that fascinates the world in such a way that people of Indian descent, whether they like it or not, are subject to inquiries about their heritage.

2. There is the likelihood that succeeding generations of Indian-Americans will produce larger numbers of scholars in the field of sacred studies.

3. Globally, there are increasing numbers of non-deshis who are tenaciously interested in this sacred culture and who will go to great lengths to get educated in it.

4. There is India. No matter the inimical forces internal or external to India, Hinduism will certainly remain robust in its homeland. Is there any doubt of that? Just consider what India has already survived and yet remains the spiritual lighthouse of the world. Granted, there have been terrible setbacks and irretrievable losses; e.g., catastrophe over centuries for Kashmiri Pandits. Nevertheless, India continues to produce awe-inspiring saints, scholars, and sages. Due to the determination of such yogi-savants, and also due to the staunch piety of hundreds of millions of rank-and-file faithful, the Hindu culture of India will shine in this world for a long time to come. And that will bolster the efforts of Hindus elsewhere on the planet, including the United States.

5. I also agree with previous contributors who point out that Indian immigrants have impressed the American public by their intelligence and competence. Particularly relevant to the present issue is the example of Indians who happen to be scientists as well as devout Hindus. That combination is a head-scratcher for a lot of Americans. It makes them wonder "How is this possible?" Certain individuals will be sufficiently impressed to investigate further: "What kind of theology could this be that it comfortably coexists with science?"

Am I optimistic for the future of Hinduism in the US? Yes, definitely. In centuries to come, will Hinduism remain the same as we find it today? If it did remain exactly the same, it would not be Hinduism, which has always been a rolling wheel.

Satyam eva jayate.
    Last edited by TrikonaBindu; 12 May 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Mahadeva Smaranam OM namah shivaya
    Mrtyunjayaya rudraya neelakanthaya shambhave
    Amrteshaya sarvaya mahadevaya te namah

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Are you relocating to the USA ?
    Vannakkam:
    Absolutely not. A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't ever move. Gun laws, health care, and the propensity of certain anti-Hindu forces are all good reasons.

Statistically, we are slightly ahead of you by population. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Canada

For sure we have more temples as compared to population. Toronto probably has more than any other metro area in North America.

On your map, Denver seemed high, but I don't know of many temples there. Do you know why?

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om

Namaste and hello to all. Think this is beautiful TrikonaBindu. Think like JaiJi's Ukrainian christian observation and what TrikonaBindu intimates, will not be tomorrow, but the ripple will continue to grow. Think there are substantial numbers who are on the cusp anyhow where this number could change quickly in a decades time. Subjectively, as only speculative, think number 1, the Divine, will be the factor. With this (am not anti U.S. in the least and think many pros and cons), seems people here in slow numbers are realizing how much of what we think we have is unsustainable. Much built on smoke and mirrors. 17 trillion debt and growing as just one issue.

Many in last twenty years are learning what this country was built upon. As the Sikhs in Canada have publicly acknowledged, on the suffering of the American Indians and blacks. Much inspired not by the god they believed but in resources and $$$. Many are becoming aware from returning soldiers how many innocents were killed from afar. Many are now numb to the callousness to which Dr. Magalwadi's christian apologetic types treat indigenous jivas. With this is the spiritual coldness of a mass or the x amount of minutes permitted to be preached at. People are leaving this in search of the truth. So many Americans are not even aware of this Hinduism. So many people have told me they were christians because they know nothing else. Think there so many other honest people than just amount run into from here.

One of the traits still of this country is tenacity and the belief (even if does not appear so and this trait is rapidly diminishing) in accountability. Think these things will make the infiltration of Islam most difficult as long as the people of this country do not become even more apathetic. If this is taken as given and with the shrinking of Christianity, think as more people become aware of Hinduism, more will be drawn to Her. Not tomorrow but with time.

Not a world traveler so ignorant to many cultures from first hand perspective, so very ignorant too much, but hope as things continue to go as they are here, perhaps the youth of Native borns will see the falsehoods that they have perhaps bought into and will return stronger?

Time will tell. Regardless, interesting paper and discussion here. Thanks for sharing.

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

Namaste.

Gosh! Do I detect a inkling of pessimistic doubt regarding the future of Hinduism in the US?

Let me express my optimistic conviction of its bright future.

While Canadians may not want to immigrate to the US, there is no doubt that huge numbers of Indians do.

I just came from a beautiful park in my area, in a well-to-do area, and this park was literally "overrun" with Indians - many different associated "gatherings" (e.g. 40 or more in each "circle of friends" (and probably workmates), three such "circles", there was a full fledged cricket game going as well, smaller picnics, and all of it family oriented.

I emphasize family oriented. Hindus for the most part are so, they frown on divorce, they have children. This is also true of "Western Hindus". I myself iam a family man, and the very idea of divorce is not only abhorrent to me it is an impossible consideration.

Give it time, we will "out produce" so many of the others, and typically those with values that are abhorrent to us, they cannot hold down a marriage, they do not have children, they eventually squander their wealth.

Give it time. Hinduism has a great future in America. And as an investor who understands how money and stocks may start off seemingly small in sheer numbers, as each doubles, and doubles again, then stock splits come, and eventually critical mass takes over, and what was 2 million is suddenly four, and what was four is suddenly 12, and what was twelve is suddenly 40 million, and what was 40 is soon 200.

We have to wait and watch. Yes, just watch.

Surely it IS true, that there is the threat that Hindus will be influenced by debased values coming from Hollywood and entertainment, and fast food, and peer pressure, and maybe just the hectic pace of life.

But that isn't just true in America. It is true in India as well. I am disgusted with what I am seeing coming from Bollywood today. The pace of life is hectic now. The same issues regarding technology are now surfacing in India. The same peer pressures to "be cool", the same debase music.

All the reason to stay united and not divided. All the more reason to care for all fellow Hindus, including Westerners who are now Hindus and Western Hindus to care for and about Indian Hindus...

And for those in Mauritius. And Africa.

And even healthcare provided Canada with gun restrictions.

United we Stand.

Who knows, one day those Hindus in those "far away places" (which are not so far away anymore) may be the outposts of Hinduism and the preservationists who will bring Hinduism back home to India.

Time will only tell.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind and ShivaFan,

I am still reading this study, and thanks, EM, for posting it. I will be interested in learning more of the Hindu rennaisance and the Indian diaspora.

ShivaFan, your observations are interesting. I also know of satsangs dedicated to guru mystics (e.g., Meher Baba). I am American and have Goddess Durga, Shri Ganesha, and Radhe Krishna on my home shrine (and images of Shiva and Saraswati). I did come to this forum after reading a book on Hinduism; and I soon visited my temple soon after. My temple has a Vedanta study group, which I am attending. We are reading a book called Kindle Life.

Those are just some thoughts...

Pranam.
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:
    On your map, Denver seemed high, but I don't know of many temples there. Do you know why?
    I cannot answer with any degree of accuracy and can offer only conjecture , of which too much serves little purpose. That said, H1-B visa permits are 65,000 today; new laws wish to raise it to to 110,000 and then to 180,000.
    So my ~conjecture~ of the inflow of more Indian culture is by way of commerce and the ability to work in the USA. Trade with India today is about $100 Billion (US).

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    That said, H1-B visa permits are 65,000 today; new laws wish to raise it to to 110,000 and then to 180,000.
    Vannakkam: Sadly, that same category of visa in Canada has led to some absurd human rights abuses. Small town restaurants, for example, unable to find locals, hire temps from overseas. They have far fewer rights than citizens, are often overworked and underpaid. I hope Canada and the US don't become new Dubais in this regard.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information