Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Identify myself as Hindu or just a Human?

Unhappy Should I Identify myself as Hindu or just a Human?

PraNam,

Hello friends ,

I have a thought roaming in my mind since few days. I am a born Hindu and I love this Sanatana Dharma but I don't know how should I identify myself ,as a Hindu or just as a Human.

Though I respect my Dharma and also my mother keeps telling me to pray to Bhagwana but I feel very sad that I should pray to god and believe in someone just because my mother says so.I respect my mom and I have no doubt about Sanatana Dharma or my mothers faith but deep inside I am feeling very weird.

I don't want to hurt anyone but am very Sad deep inside, what should I do ?

( May be I wouldn't reply within 10 days as my exam is on 26th but surely I would reply after 26th so please I request the Moderator not to close this thread just for 11 days if I couldn't reply)

Re: Should I Identify myself as Hindu or just a Human?

deleted
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: no longer hold those thoughts; retracted

It is all part of whom you want to 'identify' yourself with. We all identify ourselves with humans that is why we think, have a sense of shame, love, trust, belongingness, that animals do not have. But proceeding from here, we all need an identity. We identify ourselves with a country. Then with a family. Then with a god. You may choose to be an atheist, but if you are a theist, then it is up to you to identify the traits/characteristics/philosophies of what it takes to belong to a 'religion' and then identify yourself with your chosen religion.

Hinduism is practiced by nearly 1 Billion hindus all over the world and it offers you with great works of saints, a platform for practicing your faith such as temples, standards and texts for use in personal worship and so forth. It has also great established principles such as non-violence, chastity, truthfulness, bravery which are all portrayed by by great lives, both avataras and by puranic characters. So you will not be disappointed identifying yourself with Hinduism. (IMHO). Cheers!!!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Jai Indra Dev,

Many would "die" to be born Hindu. Unlike converts, you have been blessed with gotra, samaj (the village community of your ancestors), and jaati which the adoptees and converts lack (even though converts are awesome and heavily accepted for Hinduism must reach the four corners of the world).
    In my eyes, you are still a Hindu since you have a gotra, samaj, and jaati. And you are still a practicing Hindu even if you practice atheism because atheism is a school of thought under Hinduism continuum.
    Iam rather sad we, the born hindus, have all the above attributes to remember, those that have damaged our faith irreversibly.

Also,

" Houston, we have a problem".

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Iam rather sad we, the born hindus, have all the above attributes to remember, those that have damaged our faith irreversibly.

Also,

" Houston, we have a problem".

Namaste.
    Attitude? Really?

Unless you can explain what is wrong with his post, I would say the damage is more from people like you who take offense at any portrayal of Hindu that does not match your idea of what Hinduism should be (no Gotra, all gods are the same, Gita is central to Hinduism, etc., etc.).
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

deleted
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: no longer hold those thoughts; retracted

Quote Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
    PraNam,

Hello friends ,

I have a thought roaming in my mind since few days. I am a born Hindu and I love this Sanatana Dharma but I don't know how should I identify myself ,as a Hindu or just as a Human.

Though I respect my Dharma and also my mother keeps telling me to pray to Bhagwana but I feel very sad that I should pray to god and believe in someone just because my mother says so.I respect my mom and I have no doubt about Sanatana Dharma or my mothers faith but deep inside I am feeling very weird.

I don't want to hurt anyone but am very Sad deep inside, what should I do ?

( May be I wouldn't reply within 10 days as my exam is on 26th but surely I would reply after 26th so please I request the Moderator not to close this thread just for 11 days if I couldn't reply)
    Namaste, Shivam.

The question arises as to why one should feel the need to 'identify' themselves with anything at all.

If you pray to a Hindu God and practice/love the Sanatan Dharm, you are a Hindu, regardless of identity.

Are you praying to Bhagavan because you want to, or because your mum tells you to? That is what you should be asking yourself.

Maybe you should have a talk to your mum and tell her how you feel...maybe ask her to 'get off your back' in a nice, respectful way.

Story:

I was married for 17 years to a Fiji Indian born Pundit/Purohit.

I loved and prayed to Bhagawan and believed in Dharma, but being forced to do things 'his way' and pray to 'his Gods' became more than I could bear.

I mean, according to my Dharma, as a dutiful wife, I should have accepted this without question...however, everything was fine and he had no problems with letting me do 'my own thing' for the first 10 years of our marriage...

I also saw his 'clients' treat Hinduism and Pujas as something they 'had to do' according to their faith and couldn't wait for it to be all over so they could go and drink kava-kava, eat meat and discuss politics.

I saw the Hindu women treat Puja as an 'excuse' to dress in finery, gossip about other people either present or absent and just remain 'flippant' about the whole affair.

There was no 'passion'...no 'love'...nothing I could see that resonated with me in any way, shape or form.

I decided after a while that I was no longer a 'Hindu' anymore...because if this is what Hindus did, then I certainly wasn't one of them.

After a few more years, my marriage fell apart when my husband started to get very greedy with Puja 'donations' while becoming more 'devout' in his faith...the contradiction became too much to bear.

I remained as a 'non-Hindu' for many years...about 10 of them and 'enjoyed' my life...eating meat, going to rock concerts, taking drugs, drinking alcohol...not giving a damn about Hinduism or Bhagavan.

Then, last November I 'accidentally' stumbled upon a Shiva Bhajan...and 'heard' a voice in my Soul going "remember Me? What did I ever do back then to piss you off?"

I fell into Bhakti trance immediately and re-connected with Lord Shiva. I also learned how to 'disconnect' God from Religion...I had to do that to be able to become a Hindu again.

I don't know how much my story has relevance to you or the situation at hand, but by sharing it, I hope I have helped you somewhat.

Please take care and don't be sad...cheer up because Lord Shiva loves you regardless.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 15 May 2013 at 08:37 PM.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranaam Necro,

Do you see yourself as being a Hindu for life?
    Namaste.

I would like to answer that by saying 'just for today'...'just for this moment'.

My life may end tomorrow.

Aum Namah Shivaya

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Thread Information