Thread: Taking your own life

1. Taking your own life

Namaste and Pranam,

Recently I lost someone very close to me as a result of them taking their own life. I have become very confused and am beginning to lose faith as a result of this. I have read differing opinions on the consequences of this within the context of Sanatan Dharma and its scriptures. I was wondering whether any of you could answer the following questions and maybe include any scriptural referenced if you have knowledge of any.

1. Is there an afterlife, is there any evidence for this?

2. If there is an afterlife, what happens to an individual who took their own life?

3. Is there such thing as black magic?

4. Are the consequences different if the person took their own life due to mental illness or black magic?

5. Is there any use in praying for the well being of the deceased persons aatma? Or according to scripture will the consequence be meted out regardless?

Re: Taking your own life

Namaste AK1947.

I am so sorry to hear of your devastating loss. I am in no way qualified to answer any of your questions. However, while you await the insights of other HDF members you may want to read this Thread:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4868

"May the longtime Sun shine upon you, all love surround you,
    And the pure light within you guide your way on."

Quote Originally Posted by AK1947 View Post
    Namaste and Pranam,

Recently I lost someone very close to me as a result of them taking their own life. I have become very confused and am beginning to lose faith as a result of this. I have read differing opinions on the consequences of this within the context of Sanatan Dharma and its scriptures. I was wondering whether any of you could answer the following questions and maybe include any scriptural referenced if you have knowledge of any.

1. Is there an afterlife, is there any evidence for this?

2. If there is an afterlife, what happens to an individual who took their own life?

3. Is there such thing as black magic?

4. Are the consequences different if the person took their own life due to mental illness or black magic?

5. Is there any use in praying for the well being of the deceased persons aatma? Or according to scripture will the consequence be meted out regardless?
    Pranams,

I am sorry to hear about your loss and the pain you must be experiencing.

Our scriptures do describe an afterlife, and they do explain that a person's next life and the things he will enjoy or suffer will be the result of actions performed in previous lives. There is certainly benefit to praying for the benefit of the deceased. In traditional culture, we have a special puja that is done for deceased elders to ensure their well-being in the next life. In the local Hare Krishna temple which I sometimes go to, the devotees will sometimes sing bhajans specifically in the memory of a deceased congregational member. I don't know of any scriptural basis for this latter practice, but the principle appears to be the same.

I have also seen multiple references in the smRiti to the effect that a person who gets liberation will liberate 7 generations of ancestors before and after.

Again, all of this is based on scripture, and if you are losing faith, I don't know if that is sufficient evidence for you. I don't have the specific statements at the moment, but they shouldn't be hard to dig out if you are really interested.

As far as "black magic" is concerned, I cannot say one way or another. I've heard it said that there are some formulas in the Atharva Veda for material prosperity and even for harming one's rivals, apparently a sort of inducement for materialistic people to develop faith in the Veda. But, I look at these things from a bigger picture. We live in a world where nuclear weapons are everywhere, terrorism may be just around the corner, the planet is warming, environment is being polluted, etc. All of these are more potent causes of death and destruction than "black magic." All around us, death and suffering are everywhere, and it behooves us to meditate on the ephemeral nature of life, and to develop a higher taste for something that transcends our ordinary, wordly existence, which is fraught with peril.

Best wishes to you and hope that you can find that inner peace.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

4. Re: Taking your own life

Pranam Philosoraptor,

Thank you for your insight, it is indeed comforting and brings hope. I would love to know the scriptural sources.

In a time of great sadness or shock, one can either lose all faith or strengthen their faith such that it becomes unbreakable. I am still praying and meditating but I still have many doubts in my mind.

Would any members of the forum be willing to share and discuss their experiences with the death of a loved one and their knowledge of what occurs in the afterlife?

Another question that has perplexed me recently is on the theory of reincarnation. How does the extinction of certain animals fit the role of reincarnation and how can an animal possibly to good deeds in order to attain a higher form of life?

Pranam to you all.

Namaste, AK1947.

I am sorry for your loss.

Even as a Hindu, it's still rather difficult for me to come to full terms with the concepts of reincarnation and an afterlife.

I expressed these concerns on another forum before...about what it is that actually survives after death...if one's Soul is without a 'mind' or 'senses' then how can it 'experience' anything in the afterlife that cannot be experienced in life.

It was explained to me that without an afterlife (i.e when we cark it, we cark it), there wouldn't be any rhyme nor reason for living this life at all and also that 'Out of Body Experiences' can explain the phenomenon of a 'soul' or 'astral body' being detached from this body and experiencing things.

I have never experienced an 'out of body sensation' but many have and swear by it. I fully believe them.

So, to answer your first question...there really is no evidence for an afterlife apart from what the Scriptures say and your own faith in them and in an afterlife.

2. It was once said to me, that if a person commits suicide, they will have to live this same life (or exactly the same circumstances) over and over again until they 'get it right' without killing themselves...like a cosmic 'Groundhog Day'.

3. There is no such thing as 'Black Magic' per se, but certain subtle things people do can have a 'ripple effect' in the lives of others and certain forces can be manipulated and played around with for the benefit or detriment of a person...I doubt it involves little dolls, dark rituals and sacred chanting though.

4. I don't believe the reason behind 'why we do things' changes the Karma that arises from doing them.

5. The consequences will be metered out regardless, however your prayers and faith in your own chosen deity may lessen the circumstances and impact somewhat...to what extent, I am uncertain.

Some people believe...like if a rat lives in a temple and hears the Holy Name of the Lord, they can be reborn next life as a human being...if a bird eats Prasadam they will also get a human birth...if a human is meant to spend one life as a pig...something like that.

Others believe that a human soul can neither progress nor regress from an animal state.

Again, I am sorry for your pain and loss. All I really know about such matters is that 'time heals all wounds' and the grief will become easier to manage with the passage of time, but our loved ones are never out of our thoughts.

Aum Namah Shivaya

6. Re: Taking your own life

taking ones own life is a very big sin. it is completely against the laws of nature. everyone has a role and some duties they need to fulfill in their life and if they person commits suicide then those duties remain unfulfilled. these karma follows the person in their next life and the person suffers. we call it 'prarabdha'.

i think you should try some puja by consulting the priest and try to passify the atma of the begone. this is a very serious issue.

Thread Information