Thread: Pasteurized milk in Abhishekam

Pasteurized milk in Abhishekam

Namaste,

Is it ok to perform shivlingam abhishek with pasteurized milk? i can't seem to find unpasteurized milk in stores ANYWHERE!!! (i live in the USA) If its not ok for the shivlingam, is it ok for other murti abhishekams, such as Lord Ganesha?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Re: Pasteurized milk in Abhishekam

Namaste,

Unpasteurized milk is illegal to sell in the United States. There are some states (Florida, I believe), however, where you can purchase it at specialty pet stores for pet use only (that is what it says in the laws).

So basically, in the United States it is impossible to get unpasteurized milk unless you live on a farm.

I would hope, therefore, that pasteurized milk would be okay but I really don't know.

Aum

Namaste Catnip.

I am not a scholar that I can answer your question with authority. However I can report what I have observed. Here in the United States I have attended a number of Hindu temples for more than a quarter of a century, and I have witnessed that devotees bring ordinary cartons of pasteurized, homogenized milk to offer for abhishekam. In my city there are two shrines that include a Shiva lingam. Pasteurized milk is offered at both.

Best wishes.

PS Catnip. Here follows a personal confession, which may even disturb some people, I don't know.

I happen to be severely lactose intolerant. As a Shaiva I want to do abhishekam to the Lord's emblem. And I don't want to discard the run-off which is the Lord's prasad. So I've adjusted my mind to think as follows: The Cow is Mother Earth. All manner of produce is Her milk. Therefore it will be acceptable to my Lord if at my home shrine I offer Him almond milk or soy milk, which I can drink as His prasad.

Our Lord is known as Ashutosh, easily pleased. So I don't think He will look askance at such a substitution. After all, He knows that any puja I do is actually for my own benefit. What does He need?

Quote Originally Posted by AnandaShivani View Post
    Namaste,

Unpasteurized milk is illegal to sell in the United States.
    Namaste Ananada Shivani,
    I had a feeling it was! Thank you for telling me this.

Namaste TrikonaBindu,

I am partially lactose intolerant, i can eat yogurt and ice cream and things with cooked milk and drink small amounts of milk but large amounts of milk will make me sick so i would have to throw the offerings away if i had a larger Shivlingam but i am lucky that mine is small

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah!

Sri Mathre namaha.

here in India, there are stores near famous Shrines where limestone water is sold in the name of milk and people would buy it and do the Abhishekam with it in spite of being aware of it.

But people in the west are thinking of offering only the best to God. You people are indeed true Hindus.

May the Divine Mother bless you all with abundance and prosperity.

Regards.
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

Thread Information